TIME FOR CHANGE
It is time for justices' direct election by the people. It was 100 years ago that the people finally achieved their right to vote for US senators. One justice should be elected every 1 or 2 years for an 18 year term. It is time for an end to lifetime terms for court justices.
SOME OF THE WORST DECISIONS OF THE CURRENT COURT
The current Supreme Court under the fraudulently appointed 5 Republicans on the Court
1. has wiped out a California law designed to reduce animal suffering, saying it cannot exceed federal standards. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/supreme-court-meat-industry-wins-figh/
2. has ruled that money is speech, allowing the billionaires for whom the justices are pawns to saturate the airwaves with Republican ads Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, 2010
3. has upheld the unconstitutional death penalty which deprives one of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness
4. has expanded eminent domain to allow businesses to seize seashore and other property as in the case of Pfizer in Connecticut
5. has rubberstamped the illegal wars of Bush and Obama
6. struck down parts of the Voting Rights Act which protect blacks, Latinos etc from over a century of repression in Shelby County v. Holder, 2013
7. denied the right of 150,000 women employees at WalMart to contest the WalMart glass ceiling Wal-Mart v. Dukes, 2011
8. In Amnesty v. Clapper, 2013 the Court upheld the illegal wiretapping of Americans and the world by the warmongering NSA. Recent whistleblowing has revealed that all NSA raw data goes to Israel, giving that country an unprecedented ability to do insider trading, to bribe, to accelerate warmongering.
9. Bush v. Gore, 2000 In criminal failure to recuse himself, Antonin Scalia was a conspirator with several males in the Bush family, Katherine Harris, the Times Union of Jacksonville, Florida and others to steal the presidential vote from Al Gore and give it to Bush.
10. Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, 2014 denied inexpensive birth control to women
(The Court has been 'prolife' regarding fetal rights, but not the right of civilians around the world not to be bombed, nor the right of prisoners to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, nor the right of animals to a happy life.)
11 In Glossip v. Gross states are allowed to employ a drug which causes botched executions http://www.peta.org/features/downed-cow-meat-industry/
12, 13, 14 In 3 separate environment cases the court ruled against the EPA and the right of coal, oil and gas companies to pollute our air in violation of the Clean Air Act
15 The Supreme Court refused to rule on New York's requirement that all children be given toxic vaccines in order to attend public schools
WHO ARE THE REPUBLICANS ON THE CURRENT COURT
1. John Roberts who in an appellate court wrote briefs defending torture
2. Clarence Thomas, attorney for Monsanto, who was nominated to the Court by Jack Danforth after Danforth's opponent Jerry Little died in a mysterious plane crash.
3. Antonin Scalia who has flouted legal ethics, refusing to recuse himself in Gore v Bush, though 2 of his sons worked for the attorneys representing Bush before the Courts. Scalia is a member of Opus Dei, a religious group known for treating women as serfs.
4. Samuel Alito who failed to recuse himself, though he had promised to, in cases involving Vanguard, a mutual fund in whcih he was invested.
5. Anthony Kennedy, friend of Reagan operative Ed Meese.
PAST COURT DECISIONS
1. The Dred Scott decision upheld slavery in the US and defined slaves as property.
2. Schecter Poultry Corp V US illustrates the history of animal abuse and protection of butchers' sale of diseased animals flesh
The Supreme Court acted more quickly then than now. Arguments were heard in May of 1935 and decision rendered in May of 1935. Now months go by before a decision is rendered. The Republican dominated Court decided that the government could not prevent the sale of sick chickens.
Court decisions categorized by topic https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/topiclist.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schechter_Poultry_Corp._v._United_States http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/supreme-court-meat-industry-wins-figh/ https://awaypoint.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/catholic-supreme-court-car http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/us/major-supreme-court-cases-in- http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/supreme-court-nixes-challenge-ny-chi