About Us Contact Us Subscribe Calendar Publish RSS
Tell the NSA: StopWatching.US

CopWatch LA

IMC Network: www.indymedia.org africa: ambazonia canarias estrecho / madiaq kenya nigeria south africa canada: hamilton london, ontario maritimes montreal ontario ottawa quebec thunder bay vancouver victoria windsor winnipeg east asia: burma jakarta japan korea manila qc europe: abruzzo alacant andorra antwerpen armenia athens austria barcelona belarus belgium belgrade bristol brussels bulgaria calabria croatia cyprus emilia-romagna estrecho / madiaq euskal herria galiza germany grenoble hungary ireland istanbul italy la plana liege liguria lille linksunten lombardia london madrid malta marseille nantes napoli netherlands nice northern england norway oost-vlaanderen paris/Île-de-france patras piemonte poland portugal roma romania russia saint-petersburg scotland sverige switzerland thessaloniki torun toscana toulouse ukraine united kingdom valencia latin america: argentina bolivia chiapas chile chile sur cmi brasil colombia ecuador mexico peru puerto rico qollasuyu rosario santiago tijuana uruguay valparaiso venezuela venezuela oceania: adelaide aotearoa brisbane burma darwin jakarta manila melbourne perth qc sydney south asia: india mumbai united states: arizona arkansas asheville atlanta austin baltimore big muddy binghamton boston buffalo charlottesville chicago cleveland colorado columbus dc hawaii houston hudson mohawk kansas city la madison maine miami michigan milwaukee minneapolis/st. paul new hampshire new jersey new mexico new orleans north carolina north texas nyc oklahoma philadelphia pittsburgh portland richmond rochester rogue valley saint louis san diego san francisco san francisco bay area santa barbara santa cruz, ca sarasota seattle tampa bay tennessee urbana-champaign vermont western mass worcester west asia: armenia beirut israel palestine process: fbi/legal updates mailing lists process & imc docs tech volunteer projects: print radio satellite tv video regions: oceania united states topics: biotech
printable version - json version - email this article - view hidden posts - tags and related articles
link:

Reflections on Occupy LA, Wall St. and Bel air

by Paulina Friday, Oct. 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Reposted from facebook

Domingo, 09 de octubre de 2011, 22:52
I pushed my way to the center of the circle, at 5’1 this was the only chance I would have to see and hear and to be seen and be heard. I took a deep breath added my name to the stack and waited for my turn to speak among this group made up mostly of men. The group had formed from the Occupy LA General Assembly, it consisted of people who had blocked a proposal to endorse a civil disobedience action by dozens of hotel workers. These workers had planned a protest with their union because they had been fired by a hotel in Bel Air. This small group now held this proposal in the palm of their hands. The group also consisted of anybody else from the General Assembly who wished to join in on the discussion. The people they were talking about are hotel workers, most of them immigrants and women, they are veterans of the fight against corporate power. I know this because my father, who was fired from his union job as a hotel dishwasher a couple of years ago, is also one of these veterans. The fight of these veterans of struggle is a fight for dignity and respect, but also a fight for their livelihoods, and in this fight they stand toe to toe, immigrant workers against corporations. While waiting my turn to speak, I thought of these workers, the housekeepers with their aching backs from lifting heavy beds. I thought of the dishwashers with their aching knees and fungus in their nails from working in water all day. I thought of the women hotel workers who go home to their children with worn bodies from catering to the 1%. As I stood among this group of men, I wondered quietly to myself what these workers would think of this conversation.

At times the conversation turned into a shouting match, the loudest person often won control of the floor. The men in the circle demanded to know why these workers hadn’t joined Occupy LA. “Where is their union!?!?!?!?”, they asked. “When is their union going to bring 35,000 people down HERE!?!?!?!”, they shouted. I felt my anger and frustration boiling and at times I shouted too, but as impatient as I was growing I decided against battling the maleness of the group on their terms. So as others yelled louder than me, I again waited. It was getting late, and behind us 200 people were still taking part in the General Assembly discussing other proposals that had been brought to the group. In between us and them another small group had broken off from our discussion and formed around a young man who carried a sign denouncing non violent tactics. I turned my attention back to the group and listened as a man around my age spoke, he told us that he is a union member and that he was here despite the fact that he had a young daughter waiting for him at home. I felt a connection to him, after all, I’m a single mother and I have two children at home.

When it was my turn to speak I stepped right into the center of the circle and I spoke from where my spirit comes. “I speak to you today as the daughter of a hotel dishwasher, who walked the picket line with her father in his fight for dignity and respect on the job, for his right to be treated as a human instead of a dog.” What would my father think about this discussion? Although he can understand some English and could hear and understand the comments being made about people like him, he would need to ask for a translator to be understood by everybody else. I imagine that he would leave frustrated and angry.

Last night, my point to that group was this: What would it mean to this movement of the 99% if women housekeepers were to march up here to join us? How powerful would that be? But the question is not why are they not here, the question is what would it require to make this space more diverse and broad? What would it require from us? What would it mean if we joined them that day, in bel air the heart of the 1% , and marched with them in their struggle against corporate America. What would it mean if we made it clear to them that this is also their space and that we are fighting for them, because they are the 99%. There is a reason why they are not here and it has nothing to do with whether or not they believe in the fight. As I spoke, dozens of hands waved their fingers in the air signaling agreement. I stopped speaking after I felt that I had taken up too much space. Two minutes later what I had said was forgotten among the discussions about process and another rant from the man who blocked the proposal. A short while later I left because after 8 hours of Occupy LA I had to get home and help my daughter with her essay that was due Monday morning. The man with the daughter, whom I had felt the connection with earlier, he was gone too.

As I went home after this experience, and as I thought about the potential that this movement holds, I realized that it is not held by me or anybody else occupying city hall, or Wall St., or any other city around the country. It is held by the 99%, and the 99% is much bigger than all the aforementioned people. The 99% includes the hotel housekeeper, it includes my father, it includes my neighbor in working class Montebello, it includes working class white Americans who may not yet believe in protest but do believe that they should be heard much more than any corporation, it includes my son’s 2nd grade teacher, it includes my 17 year old daughter who hopes to go to college, it includes the people I work with on a daily basis who struggle to put food on their table and whose community was in an economic crisis long before the rest of America. The movement of the 99% also includes all the struggles that my father, the hotel housekeeper, and the resident of South Central LA are embroiled in. This movement is not contained by Wall St, or Main St., or City Hall, or Portland, or Las Vegas, or any other physical space. If we try to contain it, we will kill it. We must grow it, we must link arms, we must lift all these struggles up, we must come up with new ideas and new forms of resistance and organize for them. If we do, we will take this momentum, this moment, this movement and we will win
Share on: Twitter, Facebook, Google+

add your comments

Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 1 posted about this article.
Finally! julia Thursday, Nov. 03, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Obama at LA Trade Tech J23 3:23PM

Los Angeles Joins World Wide Protest Against Israeli Aggression J22 6:33PM

Los Angeles Joins World Wide Protest Against Israeli Aggression J22 5:48PM

Los Angeles Joins World Wide Protest Against Israeli Aggression J22 5:28PM

Protest Israeli Shelling of Gaza J21 1:58AM

#SaveTheInternet Rally J20 11:24AM

PACIFICA is shify-ing more J18 8:55PM

Radical Women Study Group J16 4:43PM

KIDS REPLANT WILSHIRE FRUIT TREES UPROOTED BY VANDALS J16 2:34PM

Emails Needed by Thursday, July 17 to Save the South Central Farm (Again) J15 4:40PM

Is AFT Pres Weingarten On The Take? J12 7:45AM

LA Living in Vehicle Law Found UnConstitutional J11 12:22PM

KPFK News covers the Che Cafe struggle J10 9:33PM

Public Comment on South Central Farm Site J07 10:44PM

Successful Protest at new Burbank Hobby Lobby on 4th J06 5:17PM

Protesters Violently Arrested in Murietta J05 12:44AM

Gallery Opening Highlights Journalist’s Creativity, Insights, and Passions J03 11:52AM

Indymedia On Air - Che Cafe show J02 10:27AM

Save the Che: Letter from Zack de la Rocha J29 8:47PM

Political Thriller Citizen Koch Premieres in Los Angeles J28 2:35AM

Veteran and Families of Military hold Press Conference J18 7:36AM

Furious Homeowners Occupy Lobby of Fannie Mae in Pasadena J16 4:15AM

Change Links Revival J12 12:09PM

Election Day with Occupy Los Angeles: Know Your Rights Juror Education Rally J05 9:39PM

United We Stand Festival Ignites a Wave of Action for Indy Journalists and Active Citizens J05 7:36PM

San Pedro Born Activist Yuri Kochiyama Dies J02 12:04PM

The Shortwave Report 07/25/14 Listen Globally! J24 5:00PM

MDRC's Rent Reform Assault: Section 8 tenants vs. affordable housing industry J24 12:24AM

Come for the education, Stay for the fun at the OC Health & Wellness Fair J23 10:59PM

Philippine president signs law requiring tobacco companies to put graphic health warnings J23 3:55AM

Rockets found in Gaza school J22 10:57PM

Statement on the Gaza Genocide J22 8:32PM

Capitalism and War: Pope Francis J22 4:18AM

Geekouts Link's for June and July 2014 J22 1:14AM

ADI holds Week of Action Against Circus Suffering J21 11:41AM

phantom protests J21 7:35AM

Précis de la tyrannie ou les 64 bourgeoisies J21 3:32AM

The Abiding Economics of John Kenneth Galbraith J19 3:19PM

The Word J18 1:12PM

Burn Cut Poison: Toxic Trillion Dollar Cancer Industrial Complex Of Radiation, Surgery, Ch J18 10:17AM

Abrégé de déictique J18 2:04AM

The Shortwave Report 07/18/14 Listen Globally! J17 2:54PM

carta a mi hija J17 1:40PM

SANTA MONICA ACTRESS TANNA FREDERICK TO VIETNAM TO INSTALL WATER FILTERS J17 11:21AM

Nationwide Air Conditioning and Heating Company Hiring in Southern California J17 9:18AM

Ariz. law enforcement: Marijuana shouldn't be legalized J16 5:27PM

Philippines: 5 Makabayan bloc legislators got P481M pork barrel J16 1:31AM

Lauren Kuby - Harry Mitchell - Tempe City Council J15 1:48PM

The Average Vegan Weighs 23 Lbs Less Than The Average Nonvegetarian J15 9:08AM

TTIP Undermines the Constitutional State J15 7:03AM

5,000 Show up in los Angeles Rally J13 7:40PM

Andrew Myers wants dispensaries to have monopoly on growing marijuana??? J13 8:22AM

Protest against Jewish terrorism & genocide in Palestine J12 7:28AM

israel training Georgia police J12 7:22AM

© 2000-2003 Los Angeles Independent Media Center. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by the Los Angeles Independent Media Center. Running sf-active v0.9.4 Disclaimer | Privacy