- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
Saturday, Jul. 01, 2006 at 9:16 AM
Locals to join national fast for peace
WOODBURY -- About 10 people are expected to participate in the July 4 "Troops Home Fast" -- a nationwide fast to end the war in Iraq -- by gathering outside a congressman’s Woodbury office.
Participants will spend 12 hours, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, in front of the office of U.S. Rep. Robert Andrews, D-1, of Haddon Heights, according to members of the Coalition for Peace and Justice and the South Jersey Campaign for Peace and Justice.
The office is at 63 N. Broad St.
Nationally known celebrities and activists, led by Cindy Sheehan and Fernando Suarez del Solar, whose sons were killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom, will start their fast at 12:01 a.m. July 4. Some will continue their fast until Sept. 21, which is International Peace Day.
Gold Star Families for Peace will announce a historic hunger strike against the war in Iraq. At 5pm, they will sit down in front of the White House to eat their last meal and hold a press conference before beginning the fast at the same location in the morning of July 4 at 10am.
“We’ve marched, held vigils, lobbied Congress, camped out at Bush’s ranch. We’ve even gone to jail. Now it’s time to do more,” says peace mom Cindy Sheehan. “While others are celebrating July 4th with barbeques, we’ll be showing our patriotism by putting our bodies on the line to bring our troops home.”
Hundreds of celebrities, veterans, mothers, and concerned citizens across the country will participate in a rolling fast. Strikers include musicians Willie Nelson and Michael Franti, actors Danny Glover, Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon, Gold Star parents Cindy Sheehan and Fernando Suarez, legendary faster and comedian Dick Gregory, environmental activist Diane Wilson, Iraq war veteran Geoffrey Millard and Gulf War vet Michael McPherson, labor leader Dolores Huerta http://www.commondreams.org/news2006/0627-04.htm
JOIN CINDY SHEEHAN AT THE WHITE HOUSE!!
If you cannot join Cindy in DC, please do something to provoke the revolution in your hometown As the July 4th weekend approaches, we want to encourage your group to think about planning antiwar actions during the holiday weekend. July 4th celebrations take place in cities and towns, communities small and large, urban centers and rural locations.
Sometimes antiwar organizers have stayed away from these highly "patriotic" gatherings, assuming an unfriendly response. But this year, given the deep public sentiment against the war in Iraq and the very low approval ratings for President Bush, it might make sense to organize something that will allow more people to express their own opposition to the war.
You’ll know what’s most appropriate for your community, but here are several ideas of things you could plan:
1) Organize an antiwar contingent in the official July 4th parade in your area. If you do this be sure to invite as many people as possible to join your contingent, you’ll want to look as strong and as representative of your communities as possible. An alternative to marching in the parade is to have your folks line up along the parade route. If you do this you’ll want to be in a location that affords the most visibility, both for the people in the parade and for other folks watching it, including the media.
2) Hold a vigil or picket, or set up a literature table, in a busy shopping area. The July 4th weekend is usually a major shopping period with lots of folks hitting the malls. Try to hand out educational materials, gather signatures on petitions, or get people to sign letters or postcards to their elected officials. Use this as a time to gather signatures on the Voters for Peace Pledge (http://www.votersforpeace.us/) and/or the Declaration of Peace nonviolent action pledge (http://declarationofpeace.org).
3) Use the weekend to get your message into the local media.
* Organize people to call into your local radio talk shows throughout the weekend. * Plan ahead to send in letters to the editor in order to get them printed on and around the holiday. * Call your local paper to see if someone from your group can submit an Op Ed piece for publication over the holiday weekend. http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2006/06/24/18282599.php
Report this post as:
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
More Local News...
Fbi fears this post
Disabled Folks among the extreme poorest in US counts
Banks Enriched By Trump Deficit Increase Of 4 to 5 Trillion $
Illegal Russians Receiving Land and Homes in West Bank 2018
Un monde de pauvreté
14 Disturbing Facts About Scott Gottlieb, Trump's FDA Head
Behind the scenes at fbi National Academy
Treasury Takes Aim at Shell Companies
Paraphysique de l'intelligence
Oklahoma GOP Senator Jim Inhofe's Bloody Record
Globalization: hope on the horizon despite Fake Liberals.
Sorry President Trump,Ted Cruz Texas Judicial System,is Worse Than Many Shithole Countries
The Shortwave Report 07/20/18 Listen Globally!
The System Question as a Survival Question
Nation's Largest Voting Machine Co., ESS, Admits Lying Re Having Installed Remote Control
Du pain et des jeux
Paraphysique de martyrologie
Children Incorporated Earns 4-Star Rating on Charity Navigator
Democratic Socialists of America
Leonard Peltier Non Violent Native American Political Prisoner since 1970's
Paraphysique miscellanées de l'aggiornamento
FBI Investigated LA County Sheriff Baca,Why Not Hank Skinner's Persecution?
Updated Partial List Of Famous Vegetarians, Vegans, & Fruitarians
The Shortwave Report 07136/18 Listen Globally!
Social Policy as Social Infrastructure
Vol I: 84 Varieties Of GOP Election Fraud
Texas Can Call it An Execution,But It is A State Sponsored Murder of Hank Skinner..
June 2018 Honduras coup update
More Breaking News...