Video released by Channel 2 News in Los Angeles showed clearly that Black Republican Ted Hayes assaulted a pro-amnesty counter protestor without provocation , during an anti-migrant demonstration Hayes organized in South Central LA yesterday. Today, in the wake of bad publicity about the assault, he resigned from the Minuteman Project.
In the meantime, a Minuteman supporter has released an appeal on Hayes’ behalf, urging South Central residents, including “Former & Active Gang members” to attend a recruitment meeting for a group he calls the “New Buffalo Soldiers.” The original Buffalo Soldiers were used by the US Cavalry to attack Native American peoples, and Hayes is lining up the new group for the same purpose, to attack migrants and their supporters (people of Native American descent,) according to Hayes’ remarks at an anti-migrant rally in Burbank Saturday.
The appeal to residents of South Central – an area which is overwhelmingly Black and Brown - invited those of “all races” to join the new vigilante group. The appeal concluded with a racist slur - “Lets show all ‘The Pissed Off Peons’ that we are far from Racists.” ( http://www.saveourstate.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10546
Hayes' assault on the pro amnesty activist - shown in crystal clarity in the Channel 2 video
( cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_113230608.html ), occurred shortly before the rally was scheduled to occur.
One can see in this very graphic and vivid video that a large heavy set white man first begins to manhandle the amnesty supporter in cooperation with Hayes, then as Hayes, moments later, begins to shove the activist, the same large white man has his arms wrapped around the amnesty supporter, dragging him backwards in a headlock, in what gives every appearance of a coordinated assault.
The same white man, in different headgear, was referred to in an earlier Indymedia report on the Sunday demonstration, where Indymedia reports indicate he threatened violence against two Chicano activists: "A white man in a Nazi-style biker helmet threatened one” of the Chicanos, asking, "Are you ready to die for your cause? You'd better be because we're going to put a bayonet up your ass and slit your throat! It's going to be war. Are you ready?"
This person may be a Save Our State member who calls himself "SS187," who posted on the SOS website's forum that he had the choke hold on the activist, and who issued Hayes’ appeal to gang members for the so-called “New Buffalo Soldiers.”
Hayes issued a formal apology for the assault. It makes no mention of the apparently coordinated nature of the assault. He tries to place equal blame for the assault on the pro-amnesty activist, who was standing peacefully speaking with a reporter at the time of the incident. Hayes writes:
To Whomever This May Concern,
“Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are in the way with him; lest at anytime the adversary deliver you to the judge, and the judge deliver you to the officer, and you be cast into prison.” (Mathew 5:23-25-26 Jesus Christ)
On Sunday, April 23,2006 around 12:30 PM, prior to an anti-illegal immigration rally in Lemert Park in South Central Los Angeles hosted by the newly formed Crispus Attucks Brigade (CAB), during a very heated and emotional moment, I behaved myself in a very undignified manner.
My actions during that moment, though provoked by an outside agitator was unnecessary, but rather reckless and counter productive to the whole discussion or debate around the legalities of immigration into the United States of America, primarily by Mexican citizens. I have no excuse.
Though I remorseful and sincerely apologize and deeply regret my negative behavior, that damage to myself and most importantly to the cause that I represent has been done. I take full responsibility for embarrassing behavior. I apologize, ask and hope forgiveness from the following persons and entities:
• The Lord my GOD and Father in Jesus Christ for being disobedient to HIS Word of peace and humility, especially in time of adversity when my ego and patience is being tried. I have failed that test. I ask HIM for HIS mercy upon me.
• The gentleman with whom I had the altercation! Though invited by him to take the actions that I foolishly did, I nevertheless was wrong and I do apologize to him.
• The Mexican/Latino, American Black, White, and any other communities for my behavior;
• Homeless peoples for my poor representation of them;
• My family, who has endured watching my untoward behavior on television;
• The participants of the Crispus Attucks Brigade;
• The Republican Party
• As a member and supporter of the Minute Man Project (MMP) a very worthy organization defending the borders and ideals of the United States of America, I apologize for my awful representation. My behavior in no way is a representation nor any reflection of the good and wonderful work of the Minute Man Project.
• My actions were way out of line of MMP policies. Therefore, with much regret and sorrow, I offer my resignation from the Minute Man Project organization, because I want its name protected.
I hope that I can be restored to the work that I was doing prior to my rebellion and fall.
Thank you for your understanding, patience and hopefully…your forgiveness!
Sincerely in Truth