A Call To Action
Our time is here:
TRANSGENDER DAY OF REMEMBRANCE
STOP THE TRANSPANIC DEFENSE
November 16th @10:30 AM
Los Angeles City Hall
200 North Spring St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012.
On Wednesday, November 16th, the Southern California Transgender Community Coalition, Asian Pacific AIDS Intervention Team, in conjunction with L.O.T.U.S. and the Office of City Councilman Eric Garcetti, will be hosting a press conference on the steps of city hall to announce Day of Remembrance events happening in communities across Southern California. We will be joined by representatives from four Southern California Counties Day Of Remembrance events, The Los Angeles County Human Relations Commission, and The District Attorney’s Office, Hate Crimes Unit. We believe the time has come for us as a community to stand up. We need to stand up not just to end transphobic violence and discrimination, but also to affirm what we stand for.
• We stand for the vibrancy of the Southern California transgender community
• We stand for the diverse organizations we have created to support and nurture our community
• We stand for our artists, who show the creative power of the transgender experience
• We stand for our activists who work tirelessly to challenge injustice against transgender people and others
• We stand for our pastors, priests, rabbi’s, and monks, who deepen our understanding of the soul beyond the gender binary
• We stand for our academics, who expand the boundaries of human knowledge
• We stand for our sex workers, who pursue their dreams of transition while being pushed to the fringes of society
• We stand for the intelligence in every transgender person who finds a way to be themselves in a transphobic society
This is the time to make the presence of our community known. We need approximately twenty-five to forty community members present to make this event a success. We hope to see you there.
Contacts: Michelle Dennis (310-428-1354),
Vicky Ortega (323-860-7314),