- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Mick Youther
Thursday, Nov. 20, 2003 at 12:06 PM
"FDA used to serve a purpose. A doctor could feel sure that a drug he was prescribing was as safe as possible. Now you wonder what kind of evaluation has been done, and what's been swept under the rug."-- Dr. William L. Isley, Kansas City, Mo.
The FDA Under Attack
Date Sunday, November 16 @ 22:07:46
The FDA needs to show more concern for Americans and less concern for drug company profits.
By Mick Youther
A fast spreading hepatitis attack has killed 3 and sickened more than 500, the biggest outbreak of food-borne hepatitis A in the United States. Although this appears to be a local public health failure, it highlights that certain government agencies are failing in their mission to protect the public.
Like so many things in government, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) probably started out with good intentions. Now it acts as though its primary function is to serve and protect the pharmaceutical industry’s profits.
• "They've lost their compass and they forget who it is that they are ultimately serving. Unfortunately the public pays for this, because the public believes that the FDA is watching the door, that they are the sentry."-- Dr. Lemuel A. Moye, University of Texas School of Public Health, FDA advisory committee (1995-99)
• "FDA used to serve a purpose. A doctor could feel sure that a drug he was prescribing was as safe as possible. Now you wonder what kind of evaluation has been done, and what's been swept under the rug."-- Dr. William L. Isley, Kansas City, Mo.
• “A survey conducted by watchdog group Public Citizen found that at least 27 medical officers whose job it is to review drugs were sometimes ‘made to shade their reviews to be more favorable toward a drug or to not present data adverse to a drug before an advisory committee.’”-- Bette Hileman, Chemical & Engineering News, 12/2/02
• “The [FDA] experts are supposed to be independent, but USA TODAY found that 54 percent of the time they have a direct financial interest in the drug or topic they are asked to evaluate.”-- USA Today, 9/25/00
• "Either you play games or you're going to be put off limits . . . a pariah. The people in charge don't say, 'Should we approve this drug?' They say, 'Hey, how can we get this drug approved?' "--Dr. John L. Gueriguian, a 19-year FDA medical officer
• “The [Prescription Drug Users Act] has brought in lots of industry cash...In return for its money, the industry got what it wanted: speedier reviews and more approved drugs.’ What the public got was unsafe drugs being approved only to be recalled after they killed people.”-- The International Coalition for Drug Awareness, 2/19/02
• “[Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA)] notes that [the pharmaceutical] industry is not keeping promises to conduct further safety studies of newly marketed drugs: A report delivered to Congress in March shows that happens with only 37% of regular drugs, 15% of biotech products.”-- Cindy H. Dubin, Editor, Pharmaceutical Formulation and Quality, April/May 2002
• "It's shocking. How can you say, 'Release drugs to the market sooner,' and not know if they're killing people?.... It really is a dramatic statement of public priorities."-- Dr. Brian L. Strom, chairman of Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania
• “Overall, the [pharmaceutical] industry has already spent more than million in lobbying this year, more than any other industry, according to Political Money Line, a nonpartisan Washington Web site.”-- Frederic J. Frommer, AP, 10/14/03
• "… this committee and this Congress jump when the drug industry says 'jump'; it rushes to pass legislation when the drug industry wants it to pass legislation. But we better not talk about drug pricing or the impact of direct-to-consumer advertising on health care utilization. Those topics are taboo."-- Rep. Sherrod Brown (D-OH), 3/6/02
• “The United States is the only major country that allows the private inventor of a drug or medicine to patent the discovery, even if it was made with the help of a public grant, and to retain exclusive rights to its production and sale, thereby avoiding competition.”-- Wayne O'Leary, The Progressive Populist, 8/1/02
• “Industry prefers to sell drugs by prescription because they can charge more since insurance companies pay for them. Of course, industry doesn’t care about the uninsured who have no money to pay for the higher costs of drugs. These folks are solicited for clinical trials to test new drugs ‘without any cost’.”-- Alliance for Human Research Protection, 3/18/2002
• "Currently, taxpayers fund the development of drugs at the National Institutes of Health, which in turn sells the drug to a corporation for very little money…Once the drug company has control of the product, they charge an exorbitant amount of money to consumers."-- Joyce Marcel, Albion Monitor, 7/24/00
• “The FDA is responsible … for advancing the public health by helping to speed innovations that make medicines and foods more effective, safer, and more affordable; and helping the public get the accurate, science-based information they need to use medicines and foods to improve their health.”-- FDA Mission Statement, 11/10/03
The FDA needs to rededicate itself to this mission. The safety of food and drugs must be determined by unbiased testing conducted by unbiased researchers. If not, the FDA stamp of approval means nothing but trouble.
Mick Youther is an Instructor in the Department of Physiology at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL
Posted Sunday, November 16, 2003
This article comes from Intervention Magazine
The URL for this story is:
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 3 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
More Local News...
Disabled Folks among the extreme poorest in US counts
Banks Enriched By Trump Deficit Increase Of 4 to 5 Trillion $
Illegal Russians Receiving Land and Homes in West Bank 2018
Un monde de pauvreté
14 Disturbing Facts About Scott Gottlieb, Trump's FDA Head
Behind the scenes at fbi National Academy
Treasury Takes Aim at Shell Companies
Paraphysique de l'intelligence
Oklahoma GOP Senator Jim Inhofe's Bloody Record
Globalization: hope on the horizon despite Fake Liberals.
Sorry President Trump,Ted Cruz Texas Judicial System,is Worse Than Many Shithole Countries
The Shortwave Report 07/20/18 Listen Globally!
The System Question as a Survival Question
Nation's Largest Voting Machine Co., ESS, Admits Lying Re Having Installed Remote Control
Du pain et des jeux
Paraphysique de martyrologie
Children Incorporated Earns 4-Star Rating on Charity Navigator
Democratic Socialists of America
Leonard Peltier Non Violent Native American Political Prisoner since 1970's
Paraphysique miscellanées de l'aggiornamento
FBI Investigated LA County Sheriff Baca,Why Not Hank Skinner's Persecution?
Updated Partial List Of Famous Vegetarians, Vegans, & Fruitarians
The Shortwave Report 07136/18 Listen Globally!
Social Policy as Social Infrastructure
Vol I: 84 Varieties Of GOP Election Fraud
Texas Can Call it An Execution,But It is A State Sponsored Murder of Hank Skinner..
June 2018 Honduras coup update
Maria Estrada doubles down on racist support
More Breaking News...