- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Tom Sharpe
Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2003 at 7:38 AM
An open letter to Chicago Public School teachers
AN OPEN LETTER TO CTU TEACHERS
The CTU is now in the final days of negotiating your contract that will affect you for the next one top four years. Despite promises on both sides not to negotiate in the media, the Board of Education has already done so by leaking information and by making statements intended to sway the general population. The board and the mayor’s office have given out the following: 1) the city, county, and state governments claim to be operating at a huge deficit, that there is not enough money to meet current contracts, that government employees are being laid off, that taxes must be increased just to stay even; 2) Peer review of all teacher staff will be initiated this year; and 3) The board of Education’s central office has been “reorganized” to streamline it and make it more efficient.
Below are some facts that not only contradict the above information from the mayor and the Board of Education, but provide the rationale for why we should have a just and viable contract in hand before returning to work in August.
* The Board of Education’s “Reserve Fund” still has over 0 million in cash that may be used for any purpose, including to finance the pay increases for union members.
· Approximately 200 classroom teachers have lost their positions during the summer break; teachers are receiving phone calls at home from principals informing them they have no job. The number is climbing daily.
· City, country, and state workers have much better health, dental, and other benefits packages than do CTU members, and they pay less for them.
· Teachers and the Union were not consulted as to whether they wanted peer review. Despite making public statements to work more closely with the union,
· The Board of Education has once again done something “to the teachers” and not “with the teachers”.
· The last Union contract got teachers a small 3% pay increase but resulted in an immediate loss of jobs, loss of major bargaining rights, and an increase in class size.
· Every teacher in a union, outside of the city of Chicago, has a better pension, more bargaining rights, and more job protection than CPS teachers under the old contract. To continue working under the old contract leaves us more vulnerable than other teachers in the state.
· The reorganization of the central office did result in some firings. But several new offices and departments have been established, along with the hiring of new high-priced administrators, the hiring of personnel with little or no teacher experience, and the creation of dozens of non-teaching jobs. Overall, this has increased the net budget in Central Office.
Remember that our firefighters and CTA workers were bargaining in good faith. The result: They have gone over 1500 and 1200 days, respectively, without a contract. Don’t let this happen to teachers!
Do not sit by and let the politicians force feed you another second- rate contract. Stand up and speak out for your rights before it is too late.
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 1 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
After Being Told He's 'Full of Sh*t' at School Event, Mnuchin Demands UCLA Suppress Video
Resolution of the Rent Strike in Boyle Heights
What Big Brother Knows About You and What You Can Do About It
Step Up As LAPD Chief Charlie Beck Steps Down
Our House Grief Support Center Hosts 9th Annual Run For Hope, April 29
Don’t let this LA County Probation Department overhaul proposal sit on the shelf
Echo Park Residents Sue LA Over Controversial Development
Former Signal Hill police officer pleads guilty in road-rage incident in Irvine
Calif. Police Accused of 'Collusion' With Neo-Nazis After Release of Court Documents
Center for the Study of Political Graphics exhibit on Police Abuse posters
City Agrees to Settle Lawsuit Claiming Pasadena Police Officer Had His Sister Falsely Arre
Professor's Study Highlights Health Risks of Urban Oil Drilling
Claims paid involving Pasadena Police Department 2014 to present
Pasadenans - get your license plate reader records from police
LA Times Homicide Report
More Local News...
What does the Quran Say About Islamic Dress??
Biodiversité ou la nature privatisée
The Market is a Universal Totalitarian Religion
Book Available about Hispanics and US Civil War by National Park Service
The Shortwave Report 04/20/18 Listen Globally!
The Republican 'Prolife' Party Is the Party of War, Execution, and Bear Cub Murder
Paraphysique de la dictature étatique
Book Review: "The New Bonapartists"
The West Must Take the First Steps to Russia
Théorie générale de la révolution ou hommage à feu Mikhaïl Bakounine
The Shortwave Report 04/13/18 Listen Globally!
“Lost in a Dream” Singing Competition Winner to Be Chosen on April 15 for ,000 Prize!
The World Dependent on Central Banks
Ohio Governor Race: Dennis Kucinich & Richard Cordray Run Against Mike DeWine
March 2018 Honduras Coup Again Update
Apologie du zadisme insurrectionnel
ICE contract with license plate reader company
Black Portraiture(S) IV: The Color of Silence...Cuba No...Cambridge Yes
Prohibiting Micro-Second Betting on the Exchanges
Prosecutors treat Muslims harsher than non-Muslims for the same crimes
Amy Goodman interview on cell phone safety
Mesa, Arizona police officer kills unarmed white man
Israeli leaders should be prosecuted for war crimes
Paraphysique de l'autorité
Two Podcasts on fbi corruption
Fbi assassins assault & try to kill DAVID ATKINS
More Breaking News...