- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Tom Sharpe
Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2003 at 7:38 AM
An open letter to Chicago Public School teachers
AN OPEN LETTER TO CTU TEACHERS
The CTU is now in the final days of negotiating your contract that will affect you for the next one top four years. Despite promises on both sides not to negotiate in the media, the Board of Education has already done so by leaking information and by making statements intended to sway the general population. The board and the mayor’s office have given out the following: 1) the city, county, and state governments claim to be operating at a huge deficit, that there is not enough money to meet current contracts, that government employees are being laid off, that taxes must be increased just to stay even; 2) Peer review of all teacher staff will be initiated this year; and 3) The board of Education’s central office has been “reorganized” to streamline it and make it more efficient.
Below are some facts that not only contradict the above information from the mayor and the Board of Education, but provide the rationale for why we should have a just and viable contract in hand before returning to work in August.
* The Board of Education’s “Reserve Fund” still has over 0 million in cash that may be used for any purpose, including to finance the pay increases for union members.
· Approximately 200 classroom teachers have lost their positions during the summer break; teachers are receiving phone calls at home from principals informing them they have no job. The number is climbing daily.
· City, country, and state workers have much better health, dental, and other benefits packages than do CTU members, and they pay less for them.
· Teachers and the Union were not consulted as to whether they wanted peer review. Despite making public statements to work more closely with the union,
· The Board of Education has once again done something “to the teachers” and not “with the teachers”.
· The last Union contract got teachers a small 3% pay increase but resulted in an immediate loss of jobs, loss of major bargaining rights, and an increase in class size.
· Every teacher in a union, outside of the city of Chicago, has a better pension, more bargaining rights, and more job protection than CPS teachers under the old contract. To continue working under the old contract leaves us more vulnerable than other teachers in the state.
· The reorganization of the central office did result in some firings. But several new offices and departments have been established, along with the hiring of new high-priced administrators, the hiring of personnel with little or no teacher experience, and the creation of dozens of non-teaching jobs. Overall, this has increased the net budget in Central Office.
Remember that our firefighters and CTA workers were bargaining in good faith. The result: They have gone over 1500 and 1200 days, respectively, without a contract. Don’t let this happen to teachers!
Do not sit by and let the politicians force feed you another second- rate contract. Stand up and speak out for your rights before it is too late.
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 1 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
After Being Told He's 'Full of Sh*t' at School Event, Mnuchin Demands UCLA Suppress Video
More Local News...
Democratic Socialists of America
Leonard Peltier Non Violent Native American Political Prisoner since 1970's
Paraphysique miscellanées de l'aggiornamento
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Cleanup
FBI Investigated LA County Sheriff Baca,Why Not Hank Skinner's Persecution?
Updated Partial List Of Famous Vegetarians, Vegans, & Fruitarians
The Shortwave Report 07136/18 Listen Globally!
Social Policy as Social Infrastructure
Vol I: 84 Varieties Of GOP Election Fraud
Texas Can Call it An Execution,But It is A State Sponsored Murder of Hank Skinner..
June 2018 Honduras coup update
Maria Estrada doubles down on racist support
New York Women in Film & Television Announces 2018 NYWIFT Ha Phuong Scholarship Recipients
Trapps de la domination, trapps de l'aliénation
Please Work For The Defeat Of Brett Kavanaugh And Why
Change Links 2018 July posted
Transinhumanisme ( transe inhumanisme )
Google, World's Biggest Censor, Was Founded By The CIA
For a World Free of Nuclear Risks
Corrupt CDC Ignores Meat Fish Recalls
The (Temporary) End of Globalization
Aternatives to Abortions such as Plan B the pill, condoms and IUD
U.S Congressional Legal Minds Know Better Than Allowing Texas To Murder Hank Skinner
ACLU in many US states defends in court KKK and American Nazis Sometimes for Money
Judge Brett Kavanaugh: 12 Of Many Reasons To Oppose Him
The Shortwave Report 07/06/18 Listen Globally!
More Breaking News...