About Us Contact Us Subscribe Calendar Publish RSS

CopWatch LA

IMC Network: www.indymedia.org africa: ambazonia canarias estrecho / madiaq kenya nigeria south africa canada: hamilton london, ontario maritimes montreal ontario ottawa quebec thunder bay vancouver victoria windsor winnipeg east asia: burma jakarta japan korea manila qc europe: abruzzo alacant andorra antwerpen armenia athens austria barcelona belarus belgium belgrade bristol brussels bulgaria calabria croatia cyprus emilia-romagna estrecho / madiaq euskal herria galiza germany grenoble hungary ireland istanbul italy la plana liege liguria lille linksunten lombardia london madrid malta marseille nantes napoli netherlands nice northern england norway oost-vlaanderen paris/Île-de-france patras piemonte poland portugal roma romania russia saint-petersburg scotland sverige switzerland thessaloniki torun toscana toulouse ukraine united kingdom valencia latin america: argentina bolivia chiapas chile chile sur cmi brasil colombia ecuador mexico peru puerto rico qollasuyu rosario santiago tijuana uruguay valparaiso venezuela venezuela oceania: adelaide aotearoa brisbane burma darwin jakarta manila melbourne perth qc sydney south asia: india mumbai united states: arizona arkansas asheville atlanta austin baltimore big muddy binghamton boston buffalo charlottesville chicago cleveland colorado columbus dc hawaii houston hudson mohawk kansas city la madison maine miami michigan milwaukee minneapolis/st. paul new hampshire new jersey new mexico new orleans north carolina north texas nyc oklahoma philadelphia pittsburgh portland richmond rochester rogue valley saint louis san diego san francisco san francisco bay area santa barbara santa cruz, ca sarasota seattle tampa bay tennessee urbana-champaign vermont western mass worcester west asia: armenia beirut israel palestine process: fbi/legal updates mailing lists process & imc docs tech volunteer projects: print radio satellite tv video regions: oceania united states topics: biotech
printable version - js reader version - email this article - view hidden posts - tags and related articles

SHERMAN AUSTIN SENTENCED TO ONE YEAR IN FEDERAL PRISON

by R Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 9:50 AM

SHERMAN AUSTIN SENTENCED TO ONE YEAR IN FEDERAL PRISON

Sherman Austin, webmaster of RaisetheFist.com, was sentenced today, August 4, 2003, to one year in federal prison, with three years of probation. Judge Wilson shocked the courtroom when he went against the recommendation of not only the prosecution, but the FBI and the Justice Department, who had asked that Austin be sentenced to 4 months in prison, and 4 months in a half-way house, with 3 years of probation.

Austin's probation stipulates, among other things, that (1) he cannot possess or access a computer of any kind without prior approval of his probation officer, (2) if his probation officer gives permission, the equipment is subject to monitoring and is subject to search and seizure at any time, without notice, (3) he cannot alter any of the software or hardware on any computer he uses, (4) he must surrender his phone, DSL, electric, and satellite bills, (5) he cannot associate with any person or group that seeks to change the government in any way (be that environmental, social justice, political, economic, etc.), and (6) he must pay over $2,000 in fines and restitution. Austin must surrender himself to the Federal Bureau of Prisons by September 3, 2003.

FROM SHERMAN AUSTIN:

On Jan 24, 2002 , my home was surrounded and raided by approximately 25 heavily armed FBI and Secret Service agents in one of the governments first attempts to exercise the new US Patriot Act. I was interrogated for several hours while they ransacked my room and they seized a network of computers which I used to run my web site raisethefist.com. They also seized protest signs, and political literature. Their excuse was a protest guide (which I didn't author) that was posted to my site which a small portion contained information on explosives. The FBI had been monitoring the site long before this was ever posted, and long before Sept 11. The "explosives information" on my site (again which I didn't author) doesn't compare to what you an find on any other web sites such as howthingswork.com, Loompanics.com, Bombshock.com, Totse.com, Amazon.com, or the many neo nazi web sites which cover everything from assassinations, explosives, fraud and firearms. It's obvious a web surfer interested in making a bomb or taking part in other extra-illegal activities would not have to rely on Raisethefist.com. So how could the "bomb making information" on raisethefist.com be a concern to authorities? It wasn't a concern, it was simply used an excuse to exercise the new Patriot Act and take down the site. And that's what they did when federal agents spent 5-6 hours interrogating me while they disassembled each computer one by one , mirrored each hard drive, then loaded everything into a big white truck. During this whole process I was told I wasn't going to be arrested, and that I could even leave if I wanted to. Once the agents finished packing everything up, Special Agent John I. Pi, who was conducting the investigation and raid said that I had crossed a line, and as long as I got back on the other side of that line I'd be okay.

A week later despite what happened I still continued with my plans to attend the demonstration against the World Economic Forum in NY. As I was waiting for the march to begin, a swarm of NYPD officers rushed straight at me and scooped up about 26 people, one of which was me. We sat on a bus for 7 hours before being taken to Brooklyn Navy Yard Jail. I was there for about 30 hours before I was taken out of my cell and put into a backroom in handcuffs and interrogated once again by the FBI and Secret Service for several hours. They asked me questions such as if I was a terrorist or involved in any terrorist organizations. During the interrogation I noticed more and more agents walking through the room. I was told I wouldn't leave custody unless they searched my car. I said I had nothing to hide and simply wanted to go home. Stressed and aggravated, I signed over my keys. A few minutes later I was driven to the court and released. As I was waiting for someone to pick me up, about 5 FBI agents entered the court and said I was arrested for "distribution of information related to explosives over the internet". One of the agents grabbed my neck and told me to shut the fuck up while I tried to tell one of the legal observers I was being arrested. I was hurried out of the court house into a black SUV where I was driven to a federal building. I was then taken to lower Manhattan MCC maximum security 24 hour lockdown federal jail facility. At my bail hearing the FBI called me a "man on a mission" and said I drove 3,000 miles to carry out my alleged "plot". The judge said I was a "threat to the community" and denied me bail, and I was to be extradited back to California to face my charges. After 11 days I was shackled and taken to an airforce base where federal inmates are boarded onto planes surrounded by guards with M16's and shot guns, like prisoners of war, and flown to a federal jail "hub" in Oklahoma. Once I got there, I learned the next day that the prosecutors decided not to file an indictment. I was released after spending 13 days in custody. When I got back to Los Angeles I put raisethefist.com back up almost immediately. I continued my political organizing within the community, as well as my work with Raise the Fist which developed into a Direct Action Network with chapters setup around the world. 6 months later prosecutors contacted my lawyer and said they found nothing to prosecute me for on my computers, but didn't want to "let me off the hook". They offered me a pre-indictment binding plea agreement which was initially 1 month in jail, and 5 months in a "community corrections facility". I rejected the plea at first, wanting to go to trial until we discovered the case was eligible for a terrorism enhancement, which could have added 20 years to my sentence.

I therefore decided to enter a plea. I played months of legal limbo until I finally expected to get sentenced to 4 months in jail and 4 months in a community corrections facility based on the final pre-sentencing report written by the USPO. The judge rejected the 4 months saying what kind of an example would it set for "future revolutionaries" wanting to act in the same manner. He stated he wanted to give me at least 8-10 months but first wanted the opinion of the Justice Department and the Director of the FBI in Washington, DC (Robert Muller). My sentencing was rescheduled several times until August 4th. I was convicted for felony; distribution of information related to explosives with intent, and sentenced to 1 year in federal prison with 3 years supervised release.

Distribution of information related to explosives is not illegal.. What's illegal is the INTENT part. They have to prove you have intent to use the information to cause further crime of violence .. and how do they prove intent? I think Bush made it clear when he said "you're either with me or against me".

Remember, fascism and a police state doesn't come all at once, it comes piece by piece.
How far will we allow it go until we are all locked up in concentration camps.

If we don't take matters into our own hands and do something about this now, then we are already prisoners of war.

Raisethefist.com is not shutting down, and the RTF Direct Action Network will continue to grow and remain active. A 1 year sentence is not the end of this. It's just the begining.

Share on: Twitter, Facebook, Google+

add your comments

Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 54 posted about this article.
.. Chantel G. Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 10:02 AM
Sherman Austin..... lynx-13 Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 11:03 AM
bored by 'Anna from KOBE'.... 5yrold Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 11:58 AM
I'll miss you Sherm Soy Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 12:16 PM
Wah. fucking WAH. Smiling FBI Agents Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 12:24 PM
OneEyedMan KPC Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 12:36 PM
i don't get it john fish Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 12:42 PM
The real crime Mumia Abu-Jamal Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 4:16 PM
We will get around to them later. Smiling FBI Agents Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 5:37 PM
Boy! Smiling FBI agents are really tough! Scribblez Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 6:09 PM
lynx-13 Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 6:28 PM
What's good for the goose, is good for the gander Spit in your Face Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 7:06 PM
Goose is good food Sy$teMF@iLuRe Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 7:36 PM
It will do Sherman good Rational Normal Person Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 at 8:49 PM
when is the price of progress too great? jeff buderer Thursday, Aug. 07, 2003 at 5:57 PM
Smiling FBI Agents Jeff Buderer Thursday, Aug. 07, 2003 at 6:31 PM
some Info Soy Thursday, Aug. 07, 2003 at 9:47 PM
Threat factor Smiling FBI Agents Friday, Aug. 08, 2003 at 12:29 PM
PS Smiling FBI Agents Friday, Aug. 08, 2003 at 12:36 PM
???????????? ???????????? Saturday, Aug. 09, 2003 at 11:44 AM
if alberteinstein was? john fish Saturday, Aug. 09, 2003 at 4:29 PM
Why Socialism? Albert Einstein Sunday, Aug. 10, 2003 at 11:13 AM
Blue sky thinking Fermat Sunday, Aug. 10, 2003 at 1:50 PM
As Retributiion begins NOW! Arena of Death Gladiators Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 3:15 AM
Another imprisoned comrade Daniel Shays Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 5:19 AM
What is so revolutionary? pointer Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 5:32 AM
RE: hahaha and what's so revolutionary meddle Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 6:35 AM
meddle metal Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 6:45 AM
On Notice Prewarning now Given Arena of Gladiators Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 6:50 AM
Arena of Gladiators just asking Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 6:53 AM
Pre-Warning given! wow Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 7:05 AM
wow WOW! Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 7:25 AM
Shit man use your fucking head arena of remember the 1990's Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 7:29 AM
If it's more of the same... just asking Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 7:51 AM
wow wow Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 7:54 AM
wow wow Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 8:07 AM
Sheepdog wow Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 8:15 AM
tbought police farrah Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 9:55 AM
Sheepdog wow Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 10:07 AM
drop dead? Setch talk. Sheepdog Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 1:47 PM
There is no difference Arena of go look in the Mirror Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 3:07 PM
There is no difference Arena of go look in the Mirror Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2003 at 3:11 PM
w00t Ness Thursday, Aug. 14, 2003 at 1:18 PM

Massive Women's March Los Angeles Tells President Donald Where To Go J23 3:39PM

University of California Riverside Students Walkout J22 10:41PM

San Gabriel Valley Anti-Repression Committee Action J22 10:07PM

Staggering Turnout for Women's March L.A. J22 1:09PM

Los Angeles Braves Extended Downpour to Tell Trump Hell No J21 3:32AM

Los Angeles Braves Extended Downpour to Tell Trump Hell No J21 3:04AM

#J20 CalArts in SoCal Plan Walkout; NY Galleries & Nonprofits Plan Art Strike J18 5:25PM

Camp 120 Will Hold Space in Front of City Hall Until Inauguration Day to Protest the Inac J18 5:03PM

Teamsters Local 2010 Initiates Mass Walkout and Strikes at University of California J18 4:12PM

Nurses Storm The Boulevard To Pressure Trump on the ACA J17 4:49PM

Nurses Storm The Boulevard To Pressure Trump On the ACA J17 3:12PM

Destiny of Man as seen through the looking glass F23 8:20PM

Palestine Advocacy Day 2017 F23 6:52PM

The Shortwave Report 02/24/17 Listen Globally! F23 5:31PM

Metal Fist Urban Domination Cheats Gold F23 3:37PM

Treasury Extends Anti-Money Laundering Luxury Real Estate Regulations F23 11:00AM

Metal Fist Urban Domination Hack F23 9:01AM

Fbi COINTEL Operations Expand F23 1:33AM

Le travail est une prostitution F22 10:29PM

Art of War : Executive Order F22 10:16PM

Damage Assessment F22 9:42PM

La société future, la société sans relation F21 6:24AM

The Long History of Human Incapacitation by Politics and the Press F21 6:09AM

Kucinich Warns of Deep State's Plans for War Post-Trump Impeachment F20 4:54AM

KLM refuses seven passengers following Trump's muslim ban/KLM accomplice to discrimination F19 3:50AM

Radio Libertaire ou Persona grata F18 3:47AM

Resistance Recess F17 2:21PM

Congress Moves Slowly on Bipartisan Puerto Rico Recommendations F17 9:30AM

The Shortwave Report 02/17/17 Listen Globally! F16 5:01PM

Paraphysique de l'emprise F15 10:34PM

107 More Groups Oppose Neil Gorsuch F15 4:38PM

Cloudflare’s Transparency Report for Second Half 2016 - FBI National Security Letter F15 10:26AM

Attempt the Impossible! Theses for a New Left Majority F15 4:57AM

Breaking: Miller On Bakersfield Incident F15 1:56AM

Trump Voids Dodd-Frank 1504 Transparency Rule F14 1:49PM

Les mafias du capital F13 11:38PM

The Sleazy Corporate Nazi Tactics of Public Storage F13 3:11PM

Geral Sosbee Presents F12 4:58PM

Théodore dit Théo, violé par la police F11 6:44AM

© 2000-2003 Los Angeles Independent Media Center. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by the Los Angeles Independent Media Center. Running sf-active v0.9.4 Disclaimer | Privacy