- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
Sunday, Jul. 27, 2003 at 11:19 PM
is_anybody_else_sick_of_this_picture.jpegh6xgpk.jpeg, image/jpeg, 418x60
i am sick of the banner at the top of this website - the palm treetop, the sweaty angry guy holding the red mic to his mouth. please can this banner change more often?!! i often change the "theme" setting to "chicago" just to avoid the top banner, but that is sort of a nuisance.
i miss the old picture of the toxic sunset over the dark city and the black silhouette of a child in mid-leap against that purple sky and a helicopter in the distance. does anybody have it saved anywhere? if so, please post it.
1. palm trees are a symbol of what's wrong with L.A. - people pretending that desert chaparral is really Miami. what a dumb fantasy!! a FAKE tropical world of sunny days kept alive by a billion sprinklers piping water from, well.... "for one thing, they have diverted the entire Colorado River from its natural purposes". maybe the palm treetop is supposed to be ironic? i don't think so because....
2. the angry sweaty guy looks latino/chicano/indigena - what does this mean when you go look at the people who are really active in la-imc? what does this mean when there is practically no Spanish on the site. irony? whatever it means i'm sick of it and i think it's awkward. la-imc needs to involve L.A. in a more real way - not pretend. it can happen. by the way, most imcs have no individualized person on their top banner. that works well for a lot of reasons.
3. as far as i can tell, women deserve the credit for a lot of la-imc's accomplishments. a less testosteroni banner at the top of the site would make more sense.
4. right now we are supposed to switch the "theme" if we prefer to see a black woman with a bullhorn. umm.. obviously the real theme here is supposed to be "projecting the voices of people of color". unfortunately this does not reflect the reality of the la-imc.
5. banners should change more often and users should be involved in designing and picking new banners.... more interaction. in fact, la-imc users should be treated a thousand times better in general! the attitude right now is more like you're nothing unless you go the meetings. but the political effectiveness of the site itself is very much connected with the attitude the collective has about actually using the site. as the collective retreats to listservs and meetings, the site becomes almost totally irrelevant to the radical grassroots. the collective needs to get back to basics and use the site.
1. maybe the more that members of IMC collectives use the public IMC newswires both generally and specifically to propose , discuss, and debate developments in IMC structure, the better the IMC will be.
2. maybe improvements in the quality of interaction on the IMC website will be ongoing, hopefully for many years, through a continual process of adjustments rather than a sudden transition to a perfect solution.
3. maybe problems arising from public participation in the site will in the long run be solved by giving people more options, not fewer.
Ward Churchill on L.A.:
"Look at LA: twenty million people where there ought to be maybe a few thousand. How do they accomplish this? Well, for one thing, they have diverted the entire Colorado River from its natural purposes. They are siphoning off the Columbia River and piping it south. They have even got a project underway to divert the Yukon River all the way down from Alaska to support southwestern urban growth and to irrigate a proposed U.S. agribusiness penetration of northern Sonora and Chihuahua. Whole regions of our ecosphere are being destabilized in the process.
Okay, in the scenario I have described, the entire Colorado watershed would be in Indian Country, under Indian control. So would the source of the Columbia. And diversion of the Yukon would have to go right through Indian Country. Now, here’s the deal. No more use of water to fill swimming pools and sprinkle golf courses in Phoenix and LA. No more watering Kentucky bluegrass lawns out on the yucca flats. No more drive-thru car washes in Tucumcari. No more “Big Surf” amusement parks in the middle of the desert. Drinking water and such for the whole population, yes.
Indians should deliver that. But water for this other insanity? No way. I guarantee that will stop the inflow of population cold. Hell, I will guarantee it will start a pretty substantial outflow. Most of these folks never wanted to live in the desert anyway. That’s why they keep trying to make it look like Florida (another delicate ecosystem which is buckling under the weight of population increases)."
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 10 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
|I also dislike the banner.
||Monday, Jul. 28, 2003 at 7:39 AM
|i don't like it either
||Monday, Jul. 28, 2003 at 9:06 AM
|I dont like it, but I think its representative
||I hate this IMC
||Monday, Jul. 28, 2003 at 10:24 AM
|no it's not representative
||Wednesday, Jul. 30, 2003 at 10:07 AM
|race is not important
||Wednesday, Jul. 30, 2003 at 10:15 AM
|I like the banner
||Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2003 at 1:50 PM
||Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2003 at 7:22 PM
|Give Paco the boot
||Border Wall Machine Gun
||Sunday, May. 16, 2004 at 11:33 AM
|Give Paco the boot
||Border Wall Machine Gun
||Sunday, May. 16, 2004 at 11:33 AM
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
More Local News...
Illegal Russians Receiving Land and Homes in West Bank 2018
Un monde de pauvreté
14 Disturbing Facts About Scott Gottlieb, Trump's FDA Head
Behind the scenes at fbi National Academy
Treasury Takes Aim at Shell Companies
Paraphysique de l'intelligence
Oklahoma GOP Senator Jim Inhofe's Bloody Record
Globalization: hope on the horizon despite Fake Liberals.
Sorry President Trump,Ted Cruz Texas Judicial System,is Worse Than Many Shithole Countries
The Shortwave Report 07/20/18 Listen Globally!
The System Question as a Survival Question
Nation's Largest Voting Machine Co., ESS, Admits Lying Re Having Installed Remote Control
Du pain et des jeux
Paraphysique de martyrologie
Children Incorporated Earns 4-Star Rating on Charity Navigator
Democratic Socialists of America
Leonard Peltier Non Violent Native American Political Prisoner since 1970's
Paraphysique miscellanées de l'aggiornamento
FBI Investigated LA County Sheriff Baca,Why Not Hank Skinner's Persecution?
Updated Partial List Of Famous Vegetarians, Vegans, & Fruitarians
The Shortwave Report 07136/18 Listen Globally!
Social Policy as Social Infrastructure
Vol I: 84 Varieties Of GOP Election Fraud
Texas Can Call it An Execution,But It is A State Sponsored Murder of Hank Skinner..
June 2018 Honduras coup update
Maria Estrada doubles down on racist support
New York Women in Film & Television Announces 2018 NYWIFT Ha Phuong Scholarship Recipients
Trapps de la domination, trapps de l'aliénation
More Breaking News...