- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
Tuesday, Jul. 01, 2003 at 5:34 AM
Celebrate July 4th By Declaring Independence From Corporate Media
Celebrate July 4th By Declaring Independence From Corporate Media
Fed up with the mainstream media's omissions, distortions and refusal to challenge lies? It's time to send them a message: we're not taking it anymore. During Independence Day week - June 30-July 6, 2003 - join with thousands of others across the country and act to oppose corporate media and support independent media!
Media Challenge!, a project of peace and social justice groups, is joining with a number of media reform groups around the country who have initiated Media Liberty Week. We seek to turn around a corporate media dominated by pseudo-patriotic cheerleading and by megaphoning for the Pentagon and for Bush administration deceit instead of by journalism. The same TV and radio news buried pre-vote coverage of the FCC's recent decision giving giant infotainment conglomerates GE, Viacom, Clear Channel, Disney and News Corp. a green light to expand their already vast empires - and is mostly blacking out the fight to overturn the FCC vote in Congress. Schools and health-care systems are in deep trouble, increasing numbers of homeless and mentally ill haunt the streets, toxic waste and environmental plunder threaten human and species life, Attorney General Ashcroft is shredding the Constitution, and economic inequality has grown to proportions unseen since the age of the robber barons.
Now it's time to show our muscle. Here's what you can do:
1. There is a real chance that Congress will overturn the FCC's June 2 deregulation vote, but most urgent is that our Senators and
Representatives hear from us. Contact them this week and ask them to become co-sponsors of legislation that would overturn the FCC ruling (SB 1046 in the Senate, which backers are pushing for a vote on in July). You can identify and email them via http://www.mediareform.net/stopthefcc or call the Capitol Switchboard - (202) 224-3121 - or go to www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb to find phone numbers and send e-mail. Californians should put particular attention on Sen Diane Feinstein, who is waffling. Senator Dianne Feinstein's offices: Washington (202) 224-3841; San Francisco (415) 393-0707;
Los Angeles (310) 914-7300; San Diego (619) 231-9712; Fresno (559) 485-7430.
2. Take your media activism to the doorstep of the national television networks: join Media Challenge! in calling for the resignation or firings of the TV Network News Chiefs for the distortions and omissions in their coverage of the war against Iraq. Contact them directly and/or write your local newspapers letters-to-the editors. For more information, see ww.projects4peace.org or read below.
3. Give your local paper a time-out. Suspend your subscription in a "vacation hold" for the first week of July. Most daily papers make it easy to do nowadays. You can probably do it in seconds on your paper's web site, or just call the circulation department. When you suspend your sub, send the paper a note explaining why, and send a copy to email@example.com.
4. Turn off your mainstreamTV watching for the week. Use the time you save by doing so and by not getting your daily paper to check out alternative news sources such as independent local weeklies and web sites like the Independent Media Centers (indymedia.org) or alternet.org, commondreams.org, democracynow.org, tomdispatch.org , tompaine.com, .mediachannel.org and www.zmag.org. Or go to your local library or independent bookstore and pick up a book that will give you the kind of in-depth information about issues that is sorely lacking in corporate news stories.Also, check out what's available on your local public-access channel and on pioneering alternatives like Free Speech TV (DISH Network Channel 9415 info at www.fstv.org) and WorldLink TV (Channel 375 on DirecTV and 9410 on the DISH Network info at www.worldlinktv.org). On the radio, look for a Pacifica affiliate, one of the 140 other stations that carry Democracy Now's daily news broadcast, or another independent station.
5. One more thing: the more people take part in this action, the harder it will be for the media moguls to ignore. So send a copy of this message to your friends, neighbors, and co-workers, and urge them to join in. Get organizations you're part of to endorse Indepence From Media Week or at least to send copies of this message to their members.
Independence from Corporate Media Week is brought to you by Citizen Works, CodePink, Free Press, Global Exchange, Media Alliance, Media Challenge, Prometheus Radio Project, Reclaim the Media, and others.
MEDIA CHALLENGE! is co-sponsored by: Projects4Peace, ICUJP (Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace), Neighbors for Peace and Justice, Coalition for World Peace, Global Guardianship Initiative, Code Pink for Peace, Global Exchange, Peace on the Beach, Peace Warriors, LA International A.NS.W.E.R., Not in Our Name, Global Women’s Strike, Southern Cal. Americans for Democratic Action, Americans Against Pre-Emptive War.
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 1 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
More Local News...
Le temps de l'extrême droite
Fbi attempts on my life
Paraphysique du non-dit
Paraphysique de l'autocensure
Illegal Russians Invited to West Bank at Invitation of Israeli Government Outside jewish
Nous sommes le système
Prosecuted: Have you had an experience that changed your opinion of the justice system?
Big Brother chez vous, Big Brother partout
Vietnam Labor Watch Tackles Outside and Inside Exploitation of Nation's workforce
What it means to be an artist
Video: Lawrence Tribe: To End a Presidency: The Power of Impeachment," 59 min
Génétique de l'environnement
Video: Thomas Frank: Rendezvous with Oblivion, 58 min
Philippines – Duterte 2 Years on: Destructive, Divisive, and Despotic
Anarchie et anarchisme
July 2018 Honduras Coup update
The iranian Backed Militia Hezbollah Bombs Communty Center in Argentina July 1995 85 Dead
The Shortwave Report 08/10/136/18 Listen Globally!
Paraphysique du taulard
Pantarchy: Voluntary State and a New Catholic Church: Stephen Pearl Andrews
Against Market Radicalism
Négoce du vol organisé
Paraphysique de la litote
Kudzu Root grows in many US states has anti alcoholism help
Syrian People Suffe after years of Russian Air Bombings and Attacks by the Syrian Army2018
Over 20 State Attorneys General Call for Shell Company Transparency
Paraphysique d'ostracisme, du ça va, d'aparté
More Breaking News...