- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Solida, Albawaba.com
Friday, Jun. 13, 2003 at 4:43 PM
Three human rights groups issued a joint communique stating that Syrian authorities continue to deny the imprisonment of Lebanese citizens, despite the findings of several international organizations. Now they fear Syria may be hiding mass graves...
Lebanese human rights groups warn of potential mass graves in Syria
Albawaba.com, June 12, 2003
Three Lebanese human rights organizations have appealed from Beirut for an international action to rescue many Lebanese allegedly held in Syrian jails, warning of family fears of potential mass graves in Syria similar to those recently discovered in post-Saddam Hussein Iraq. The call was voiced by The Lebanese Human Rights Organization, Solida-France and Solid for the Support of Imprisoned and Banished Lebanese, An Nahar website reported on Thursday.
The three bodies said in a joint communique that Syrian authorities were still denying the presence of any Lebanese prisoners in Syria, although several international organizations have established that many Lebanese were still held in Syrian prisons. Representatives from the three human rights groups had lately visited Damascus, seeking meetings with Syrian officials, but they were denied access to top Syrian officials, the statement said. (Albawaba.com)
Lebanese Political Prisoners in Syria
Communique From SOLIDA , 12 Dec 2002
On the 54th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Lebanese MP Ms. Nayla Moawad questioned Parliament yesterday about the fact that its Inquiry Commission, headed by Minister Fouad Es-Saad and charged with investigating the fate of Lebanese political detainees in Syria, had not yet issued any findings to the families and relatives of the victims. Her remarks were met with the customary bad faith of some Lebanese officials in what concerns this matter, as one Minister and one MP vehemently denied even the existence of the problem, even as Ms. Sonia Eid, President of the Association of Families of Lebanese Prisoners Detained in Syria and whose own son Jihad has been held in Syria since 1990, was present and spoke on the issue at the session of Parliament.
For the Lebanese authorities, time seems to have become suspended in June 2001 when President Bashar Al-Assad was on visit to France. He then declared that there were no Lebanese prisoners in Syria. But the Lebanese government ignored the remainder of the Syrian President's statement, in which he welcomed any request submitted by the Lebanese government on this matter, thus admitting half-heartedly the persistence of the problem. Yet, things have dramatically changed since June 2001, and the fact of Lebanese political prisoners held in Syria is now officially recognized:
- On July 22, 2002, the Association of Families of Lebanese Prisoners Detained in Syria met with the Syrian Minister of the Interior and the Director of Syrian Jails, both of whom admitted that a number of Lebanese citizens, specifically Lebanese military personnel, were being held in Syrian jails.
- On November 9, 2002, the daily Ash-Sharq Al-Awsat published comments made by Prosecutor General Adnane Addoum in which he admitted the existence of 20 Lebanese political prisoners in Syria. In addition to the evidence that the families of the detained have gathered, substantial new information is continuously being collected on specific cases in the form of testimonies and official documents. SOLIDA wishes to reaffirm that the arbitrary detention of no less than 200 Lebanese citizens in Syria is now an established fact that requires no further proof. This matter has become a purely humanitarian question that must be resolved strictly from its humanitarian dimension by both the Lebanese and Syrian authorities
SOLIDA hereby urges:
1. Syria to release without further delay all Lebanese citizens who were kidnapped in Lebanon proper, and return to Lebanon the bodies of those who died while in detention.
2. The Lebanese authorities to seek a humanitarian resolution to this tragedy through an effective mechanism of negotiation with the Syrian authorities, or alternatively to seek the mediation of an international third party.
3. The European States, the European Parliament, and the United Nations to pursue their efforts on behalf of the Lebanese political prisoners who are arbitrarily being held in Syria, and of their families who continue to suffer from a lack of closure on this inhumane situation.
Report this post as:
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
More Local News...
Paraphysique de psychosomatique
Chuck Grassley: Women Abusing, Animal Murdering, Illegal War Supporting Criminal
Finance Capitalism and the Digital Economy
Muselières syndicales, muselières patronales
Jeff Bezos, Amazon, The Washington Post, Whole Foods, Etc
Why Choose Nut Milk Over Cows' Milk
Antrhopocène, le grand effondrement
The Dictatorship of Corporations
18 Lethal Consequences Of Hunting
Paraphysique de l'outplacement déontologue
Shopping du bashing
After Lehman Brothers, Experts Say Global Financial Crisis Can Happen Again
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen
Probabilités de fin d'humanité
Florida Area of Migrant Farmworkers Denied Right to Construct Health Clinic near NaplesCIW
Steer clear of work morality!
The Shortwave Report 09/07/18 Listen Globally!
August 2018 Honduras Coup update
Brett Kavanaugh Filled The 5th Circuit With Execution Judges
Augusta Georgia Woman Gets 5 Year Prison Sentence for Writing About Russians Crime Acts
Paraphysique de contextualité
Crisis Regulation in Global Capitalism
Ex-voto de réification
Please Oppose Warmonger, Execution and Torture Supporting Bush Operative Brett Kavanaugh
Paraphysique d'exploitation occultation
Ryan Zinke Is Charging Taxpayers For A Trophy Hunters' Council
Is the Financial Crash 2.0 Coming?
More Breaking News...