- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
Thursday, Sep. 26, 2002 at 5:16 PM
Peace activists from Washington state are sitting in their senator's offices until they get a definite answer on how the senators will vote on Bush's war resolution. Anybody from California doing similar actions?
Forwarded Message from Mike Yarrow of Fellowship of Reconciliation:
Dear Peace Pledge Friends,
This morning two groups with approximately five people in each arrived at Senators Cantwell and Murray's offices announcing that they would wait to hear whether the senators would vote against a war with Iraq. We felt compelled to take this action because we know our senators have received thousands of communications against war and still, in their statements are leaving open the possibility of voting for war. We hope you will feel moved to call their offices in DC and Seattle and say you want them to vote against war. The groups consist of four or five FOR members, two ministers and other anxious, but committed people. We come from the new coalition, Sound Nonviolent Opponents of War(SNOW). We hope you will keep us in your thoughts and prayers.
We decided to take this action before the Congressional vote on the Bush resolution even though we have very little time to plan. If you possibly can visit the senators' offices and tell them what you think in person, that can't hurt. We look forward to more creative and courageous actions in the future. Some young people will stand on the sidewalk below and ask people to phone up to the senators offices.
Our love to you all!
In DC 202 224-2621 FAX 202 224-0238
In Seattle 206 553-5545
In DC 202 224-3441 FAX 202 228-0514
In Seattle 206 220-6400
Plea to Senators Murray and Cantwell
Vote No on a War with Iraq!
We come to our Senators offices with heavy hearts. Our nation is on the brink of a still wider war with Iraq. Next week Congress will vote on a war resolution proposed by President Bush. We and thousands of Washingtonians have called and written our Senators asking them to take a vocal stand against such a war which will bring tragedy to the people of Iraq and we believe to America. We have sent delegations who have met with aides but never with the Senators themselves. We are still getting communications from the senators which do not make clear where they stand on this critical issue affecting all of us. We call on our Senators to join Congressman Jim McDermott in exerting leadership for peace. We will wait in their offices until we get definitive word from them that they will vote against war and will make their position known to the people they represent.
We oppose this war for many reasons:
- It will cause additional death and suffering to the people of Iraq who have no way to affect their leader. We simply cannot go after a dictator by killing the people!
- It will cause death, injury and distress to thousands of young Americans for no constructive purpose. We have known that tragedy in the past.
- There is a peaceful alternative to assure that President Hussein does not possess weapons of mass destruction. UN weapons inspectors would be accepted by Iraq if the current weekly bombings of Iraq were halted, the devastating economic sanctions were lifted, and the UN inspectors were prohibited from giving information to US intelligence.
- We believe this war will greatly hinder efforts to prevent future attacks on the US by undermining international cooperation.
- We believe the way to greater security for Americans and others is to strengthen, not weaken, world institutions such as the UN and the International Criminal Court and to devote our resources to narrowing the gap between the rich and the poor.
- We believe such a war will injure US relations with many countries and destabilize the whole region.
- We believe this war might provoke exactly what the President Bush says he wants to prevent. By announcing he intends to remove Hussein, he removes the deterrent value of the US military. Hussein might, when cornered, attack Israel with whatever weapons he has.
- At the beginning of a new century our young people deserve better than President Bush's gloomy policy of perpetual war. We believe a peaceful and just world is possible.
Western Washington Fellowship of Reconciliation
Report this post as:
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
More Local News...
The Dictatorship of Corporations
18 Lethal Consequences Of Hunting
Paraphysique de l'outplacement déontologue
Creative Destruction Hack Mod Generator
Shopping du bashing
After Lehman Brothers, Experts Say Global Financial Crisis Can Happen Again
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen
Probabilités de fin d'humanité
Florida Area of Migrant Farmworkers Denied Right to Construct Health Clinic near NaplesCIW
Propagande de virus, virus de propagande
Steer clear of work morality!
Sweatshop Lodge Ceremony Continues in US Fed Prisons Led by Inmates
Paraphysique de l'origami
The Shortwave Report 09/07/18 Listen Globally!
August 2018 Honduras Coup update
Du réussissement putréfié
Brett Kavanaugh Filled The 5th Circuit With Execution Judges
Augusta Georgia Woman Gets 5 Year Prison Sentence for Writing About Russians Crime Acts
Paraphysique de contextualité
Crisis Regulation in Global Capitalism
Ex-voto de réification
Please Oppose Warmonger, Execution and Torture Supporting Bush Operative Brett Kavanaugh
Paraphysique d'exploitation occultation
Ryan Zinke Is Charging Taxpayers For A Trophy Hunters' Council
Is the Financial Crash 2.0 Coming?
The Shortwave Report 08/31/18 Listen Globally!
More Breaking News...