- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Paul H. Rosenberg
Friday, Oct. 13, 2000 at 1:38 PM
Gore, like Clinton, bases his Presidential hopes on a lie -- pretending to preserve a commitment to the people and values of the Democratic base, while moving the party ever farther to the right. So why worry when the press lies about him? Well, for one thing, if they can do it about him...
I have a perfect record so far as Bill Clinton is concerned -- I have never voted for the man. But that didn't stop me from vigorously denouncing the flood of lies that the Republicans used to nearly drive him from office. Nor did it stop me from criticizing the corporate media's shameful and despicable role in propagating these lies. I didn't let these travesties consume all my attention, but neither did I ignore them, nor -- like KPFK's Marc Cooper -- did I join forces with those attacking Clinton.
The reasons for this are remarkably simple:
(1) If they can do this to the President, then no one else stands a chance. Clinton never spent a day in jail because of lies and misrepresntations that New York Times reporter Jeff Gerth put on the national agenda, but Wen Ho Lee sure did.
(2) If they can do this to the President, they can extract virtually anything they want from him. Neither Clinton nor Gore represent any kind of true alternative to the Republicans, but there's a whale of diffrence between Clinton when he's getting sucker-punched by the Republican/corporate media propaganda machine and Clinton when he's surrounded by 50,000 anti-WTO demonstrators in Seattle.
(3) These lies present us with a tremendous opportunity to educate people about just how phony and unreliable the corporate media has become. If they'll repeatedly lie about the President, they'll lie about anything. After D2K, some in the corporate media refered to the IMC as the "fake media." This persistent pattern of lying about a center-right Democratic President & Vice President shows us just who the real "fake media" is.
(4) If we really have confidence in our ideas, in our vision, then we have a stake in *any* situation where lies threaten to obliterate the truth -- no matter who the target is. Naturally, some situations will be much more important to us than others, but when the target is the US President, the situation is the entire world.
All these points apply just as much to media lies about Gore. And I'll have a perfect record of not voting for him, either.
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 1 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
More Local News...
Paraphysique de psychosomatique
Chuck Grassley: Women Abusing, Animal Murdering, Illegal War Supporting Criminal
Finance Capitalism and the Digital Economy
Muselières syndicales, muselières patronales
Jeff Bezos, Amazon, The Washington Post, Whole Foods, Etc
Why Choose Nut Milk Over Cows' Milk
Antrhopocène, le grand effondrement
The Dictatorship of Corporations
18 Lethal Consequences Of Hunting
Paraphysique de l'outplacement déontologue
Shopping du bashing
After Lehman Brothers, Experts Say Global Financial Crisis Can Happen Again
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen
Probabilités de fin d'humanité
Florida Area of Migrant Farmworkers Denied Right to Construct Health Clinic near NaplesCIW
Steer clear of work morality!
The Shortwave Report 09/07/18 Listen Globally!
August 2018 Honduras Coup update
Brett Kavanaugh Filled The 5th Circuit With Execution Judges
Augusta Georgia Woman Gets 5 Year Prison Sentence for Writing About Russians Crime Acts
Paraphysique de contextualité
Crisis Regulation in Global Capitalism
Ex-voto de réification
Please Oppose Warmonger, Execution and Torture Supporting Bush Operative Brett Kavanaugh
Paraphysique d'exploitation occultation
Ryan Zinke Is Charging Taxpayers For A Trophy Hunters' Council
Is the Financial Crash 2.0 Coming?
More Breaking News...