- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Helmut Selinger
Tuesday, Sep. 12, 2017 at 5:19 AM
Human activities have contributed to the ice loss in the Arctic. In his short term in office, Trump and his accessories in the government rescinded two dozen regulations to protect the climate and the environment. The climate, peace and anti-racism movements must join forces.
TRUMP AND CLIMATE CHANGE
By Helmut Selinger
[This article published on August 20, 2017, is translated from the German on the Internet, https://isw-muenchen.de. Helmut Selinger is a physicist.]
On 8/7/2017, the "New York Times" published the final draft of the Climate Science Special Report written by many top-flight scholars from 13 US Federal authorities  and several universities  in the commission of the government. In the past, the US government published an official report on climate change and its effects on the US every four years.
However, there is a new situation this year 2017. The active President Trump is a self-confessed "climate denier" who doubts the overwhelming scientific facts of a climate change caused by humans. This comprehensive government report is now presented for a final vote but the academics fear their scholarly statements will be falsified or the whole report repressed. Therefore an unusual pre-publication of the draft occurred.
This profound report that is more than 600 pages confirms and strengthens the most negative conclusions and trends of global climate science and concretizes them for the US. For example, the report emphasizes
* the average temperature in the US has drastically increased since 1980 and the last decades were the warmest in 1500 years.
* the evidence for a change of the climate from the highest atmosphere to the depths of the oceans is in plentiful supply. Much evidence shows that human activities, especially the emission of greenhouse gases, are responsible for the climate change that is observed and forecast ever more strongly.
* the frequency and intensify of extreme heat and rain events increases in most continental regions.
* the oceans now absorb more than a quarter of emitted CO2 and thereby cause an acidification with potentially very harmful effects on the maritime ecosystem.
* the concern over acidification, warming, and the loss of oxygen in the ocean grows with the scientific analysis… This can be worse in some US coastal regions than in the global middle with the corresponding risks for serious ecological and economic consequences.
* the surface temperature over Alaska and the Arctic has increased twice as fast as the average global temperature in the last 50 years. The permafrost thaws and releases additional CO2 and methane.
* the ice loss in the Arctic has accelerated dramatically in the last years. With great likelihood, human activities have contributed decisively to this decline.
* the average global CO2 concentration exceeds 400 ppm, a level that last occurred on earth around 3 million years ago when the temperature and sea level were significantly higher than today. Continuous CO2 emissions in this century will lead to CO2 concentrations not seen on earth in more than 10 million years.
* the temperature goals of the Paris Agreement can not be reached with the present global CO2 emission rates.
The scientists directly contradict President Trump and the appointed head of the National Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) with these and other statements in the report. Scott Pruitt is also an open denier of anthropogenic climate change.
How will Trump and his administration deal with the report? Will he completely repress it or "only" falsify and relativize it? In any case, he will comment in his way and make himself ridiculous. We can assume he will continue his open and primitive lobby policy for the US coal-, oil-, and gas industry.
Trump and his administration will cancel the much too weak political measures for consistent climate protection. In his short term in office, Trump and his accessories in the government rescinded two dozen regulations to protect the climate and the environment. Several should be mentioned here as examples:
* he approved the Dakota Access pipeline.
* he analogously approved the Keystone XL pipeline with the repeated argument of ensuring jobs in the fossil industry and guaranteeing energy security.
* after complaints from the coal industry, he annulled restrictions on dumping wastes in local rivers and tributaries.
* after the intervention of oil- and gas firms, Scott Pruitt rescinded the obligation to report methane emissions.
* a restriction on new leases of public lands for the coal industry was revoked.
* the protection of tributaries and wetlands under the Clean Water Act should be reviewed and eliminated and so on.
On the international plane, Trump withdrew from the Paris Climate Agreement even though this was rather informal and non-committal and would hardly have done justice to the necessity of consistent climate protection. Moreover, the US has the greatest worldwide historical and actual climate responsibility which disturbs Trump and his lobby-government less than his predecessor governments. In contrast to them, he has not even taken note of the scientific facts of his own scientists and agencies. He defends an openly reactionary and anti-science policy.
That is the situation today. The United States does not only threaten the peace directly in Korea and Venezuela with war. The US also acts in a provocatively ignorant and absolutely harmful way nationally and internationally in the question of climate change.
Nevertheless, the new climate report and its early publication show that resistance against this obvious irrationality and one-sided interest-policy in favor of outdated and harmful industrial companies stirs even in the US. Besides the "scientific community" of natural science climate research, the environment and climate movement in the US show it is ready for active resistance. The new film by Al Gore "Still an Uncomfortable Truth" will be shown in German movie houses from September 7.
Hopefully, other occupational groups in the US will take up the examples of the steadfastness of climate scientists and rise up against self-destruction.
The climate-, peace- and anti-racism movements must join forces and help end the old Trump tricks.
 Among others National Science Foundation, NOAA Earth System Research Lab, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, DOE Office of Science, US Global Change Research Program and the National Center for Atmospheric Research
 Among others Columbia University, University of Washington, North Carolina State University, Naval Postgraduate School, Columbia University, Texas Tech University, Northern Arizona University, Rutgers University, University of Illinois at Champaign Urbana, and the University of Maryland
Report this post as:
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
After Being Told He's 'Full of Sh*t' at School Event, Mnuchin Demands UCLA Suppress Video
More Local News...
Children Incorporated Earns 4-Star Rating on Charity Navigator
Democratic Socialists of America
Leonard Peltier Non Violent Native American Political Prisoner since 1970's
Paraphysique miscellanées de l'aggiornamento
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Cleanup
FBI Investigated LA County Sheriff Baca,Why Not Hank Skinner's Persecution?
Updated Partial List Of Famous Vegetarians, Vegans, & Fruitarians
The Shortwave Report 07136/18 Listen Globally!
Social Policy as Social Infrastructure
Vol I: 84 Varieties Of GOP Election Fraud
Texas Can Call it An Execution,But It is A State Sponsored Murder of Hank Skinner..
June 2018 Honduras coup update
Maria Estrada doubles down on racist support
New York Women in Film & Television Announces 2018 NYWIFT Ha Phuong Scholarship Recipients
Trapps de la domination, trapps de l'aliénation
Please Work For The Defeat Of Brett Kavanaugh And Why
Change Links 2018 July posted
Transinhumanisme ( transe inhumanisme )
Google, World's Biggest Censor, Was Founded By The CIA
For a World Free of Nuclear Risks
Corrupt CDC Ignores Meat Fish Recalls
The (Temporary) End of Globalization
Aternatives to Abortions such as Plan B the pill, condoms and IUD
U.S Congressional Legal Minds Know Better Than Allowing Texas To Murder Hank Skinner
ACLU in many US states defends in court KKK and American Nazis Sometimes for Money
Judge Brett Kavanaugh: 12 Of Many Reasons To Oppose Him
More Breaking News...