- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Marc Batko
Thursday, Nov. 13, 2008 at 6:50 PM
The financial crisis is also an opportunity to reflect on our priorities and perspectives. Elite consciousness is a frozen consciousness where there are not alternatives and bankruptcy are only normal business practices.
SOCIAL CONTRACT AND THE EMERGENCY HOUR
Here are several important thoughts for your comments.
1. We are bound to one another like the waves of the sea (Norbert Elias). This social nature has been massively repressed by consumerism and market fundamentalism where our true nature as transformational agents and storytellers fell by the wayside. Trickle-down mythology has led to generalized insecurity, destruction of nature and instrumentalization of the state (cf. Jurgen Habermas). The state has a social nature and cannot be only a power and security state.
2. The right of participation means everyone is included in economic decision-making. Businessmen are not the only ones who understand growth and development. The state is not a treasure-chest for special interests and transnational corporations. As Jean Ziegler said in “Tribunal for Speculators,” Bankers are jungle highwaymen. Investments only pay when they realize human rights.”
3. Without the social contract (Jean Rousseau), we become wolves to one another (Hobbes). The rightwing and market radicals stylized the welfare state as Bolshevism whereas the welfare state is really a human future.
4. Rights are balanced and exist in a hierarchy, ecology and economy and work and privacy. Work-time reduction may be necessary to assure the right to work. Winner-takes-all, hire-and-fire and the right of the stronger characterize American false labor market policy. The social market economy is a counter-model to market radicalism. In the US politics was corrupted by the economy and lost control to the economy. (Daniela Dahn)
5. Minority protection must be balanced with majority rule for the state to be legitimate (Loni Grenier).
6. The UN and the UN Charter are based on the abolition of war. Self-determination and reparations are foundations of international law. The Bush doctrine, the jungle right of the stronger, preemptive lawlessness, contempt for international law reduced or eviscerated the US reputation. The Washington Consensus-deregulation, flexibility, privatization and market opening-is rejected by the global South and the world. Here’s a link to Mark Engler’s BBC comments on the economic battle for Obama’s soul:
7. The US must become part of the world and not only occupy the world.
8. Kairos time, the time of decision, supersedes everyday time. The economy should serve humankind, not vice versa. The Sabbath should serve humankind. The church, unions, media and universities are critical greatnesses that often lose their independence and critical nature. The Sabbath economy is the counterpart to trickle-down economics and exploding inequality
9. Language distortion occurs when CEOs are called job-creators and workers dismissed as “cost-factors.” Agorophobia, the parapsychology of the rightwing extremism, trusts a black-white monochrome against the daunting moral diversity. As fear mongering and faultfinding can distort faith, analysis can be shut down and caught in blind spots, half-truths and fish stories.
10. Here are my modest suggestions for the Obama cabinet so love of life and the future are not lost or instrumentalized to the false god of profit or competition. Sec of State: Chalmers Johnson
Attorney General: Loni Grenier
Sec of Treasury: Dean Baker
Health and Education: John Kitzhaber
Hoping for peace with justice,
Report this post as:
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
More Local News...
OUR HOUSE Grief Support Center Celebrates 25 Years with the House of Hope Gala
Against the Rent Madness and For a Nonprofit Orientation!
Cybermonde, cyberguerre, cyberespace, cyberterrorisme
Paraphysique de psychosomatique
Chuck Grassley: Women Abusing, Animal Murdering, Illegal War Supporting Criminal
Finance Capitalism and the Digital Economy
Muselières syndicales, muselières patronales
Jeff Bezos, Amazon, The Washington Post, Whole Foods, Etc
Why Choose Nut Milk Over Cows' Milk
Antrhopocène, le grand effondrement
The Dictatorship of Corporations
18 Lethal Consequences Of Hunting
Paraphysique de l'outplacement déontologue
Shopping du bashing
After Lehman Brothers, Experts Say Global Financial Crisis Can Happen Again
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen
Probabilités de fin d'humanité
Florida Area of Migrant Farmworkers Denied Right to Construct Health Clinic near NaplesCIW
Steer clear of work morality!
The Shortwave Report 09/07/18 Listen Globally!
August 2018 Honduras Coup update
Brett Kavanaugh Filled The 5th Circuit With Execution Judges
Augusta Georgia Woman Gets 5 Year Prison Sentence for Writing About Russians Crime Acts
Paraphysique de contextualité
Crisis Regulation in Global Capitalism
Ex-voto de réification
Please Oppose Warmonger, Execution and Torture Supporting Bush Operative Brett Kavanaugh
More Breaking News...