- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Marc Batko
Thursday, Nov. 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM
The financial crisis is also an opportunity to reflect on our priorities and perspectives. Elite consciousness is a frozen consciousness where there are not alternatives and bankruptcy are only normal business practices.
SOCIAL CONTRACT AND THE EMERGENCY HOUR
Here are several important thoughts for your comments.
1. We are bound to one another like the waves of the sea (Norbert Elias). This social nature has been massively repressed by consumerism and market fundamentalism where our true nature as transformational agents and storytellers fell by the wayside. Trickle-down mythology has led to generalized insecurity, destruction of nature and instrumentalization of the state (cf. Jurgen Habermas). The state has a social nature and cannot be only a power and security state.
2. The right of participation means everyone is included in economic decision-making. Businessmen are not the only ones who understand growth and development. The state is not a treasure-chest for special interests and transnational corporations. As Jean Ziegler said in “Tribunal for Speculators,” Bankers are jungle highwaymen. Investments only pay when they realize human rights.”
3. Without the social contract (Jean Rousseau), we become wolves to one another (Hobbes). The rightwing and market radicals stylized the welfare state as Bolshevism whereas the welfare state is really a human future.
4. Rights are balanced and exist in a hierarchy, ecology and economy and work and privacy. Work-time reduction may be necessary to assure the right to work. Winner-takes-all, hire-and-fire and the right of the stronger characterize American false labor market policy. The social market economy is a counter-model to market radicalism. In the US politics was corrupted by the economy and lost control to the economy. (Daniela Dahn)
5. Minority protection must be balanced with majority rule for the state to be legitimate (Loni Grenier).
6. The UN and the UN Charter are based on the abolition of war. Self-determination and reparations are foundations of international law. The Bush doctrine, the jungle right of the stronger, preemptive lawlessness, contempt for international law reduced or eviscerated the US reputation. The Washington Consensus-deregulation, flexibility, privatization and market opening-is rejected by the global South and the world. Here’s a link to Mark Engler’s BBC comments on the economic battle for Obama’s soul:
7. The US must become part of the world and not only occupy the world.
8. Kairos time, the time of decision, supersedes everyday time. The economy should serve humankind, not vice versa. The Sabbath should serve humankind. The church, unions, media and universities are critical greatnesses that often lose their independence and critical nature. The Sabbath economy is the counterpart to trickle-down economics and exploding inequality
9. Language distortion occurs when CEOs are called job-creators and workers dismissed as “cost-factors.” Agorophobia, the parapsychology of the rightwing extremism, trusts a black-white monochrome against the daunting moral diversity. As fear mongering and faultfinding can distort faith, analysis can be shut down and caught in blind spots, half-truths and fish stories.
10. Here are my modest suggestions for the Obama cabinet so love of life and the future are not lost or instrumentalized to the false god of profit or competition. Sec of State: Chalmers Johnson
Attorney General: Loni Grenier
Sec of Treasury: Dean Baker
Health and Education: John Kitzhaber
Hoping for peace with justice,
Report this post as:
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
After Being Told He's 'Full of Sh*t' at School Event, Mnuchin Demands UCLA Suppress Video
Resolution of the Rent Strike in Boyle Heights
What Big Brother Knows About You and What You Can Do About It
Step Up As LAPD Chief Charlie Beck Steps Down
Our House Grief Support Center Hosts 9th Annual Run For Hope, April 29
Don’t let this LA County Probation Department overhaul proposal sit on the shelf
Echo Park Residents Sue LA Over Controversial Development
Former Signal Hill police officer pleads guilty in road-rage incident in Irvine
Calif. Police Accused of 'Collusion' With Neo-Nazis After Release of Court Documents
Center for the Study of Political Graphics exhibit on Police Abuse posters
City Agrees to Settle Lawsuit Claiming Pasadena Police Officer Had His Sister Falsely Arre
Professor's Study Highlights Health Risks of Urban Oil Drilling
Claims paid involving Pasadena Police Department 2014 to present
Pasadenans - get your license plate reader records from police
LA Times Homicide Report
More Local News...
The Market is a Universal Totalitarian Religion
Book Available about Hispanics and US Civil War by National Park Service
The Shortwave Report 04/20/18 Listen Globally!
The Republican 'Prolife' Party Is the Party of War, Execution, and Bear Cub Murder
Paraphysique de la dictature étatique
Book Review: "The New Bonapartists"
The West Must Take the First Steps to Russia
Théorie générale de la révolution ou hommage à feu Mikhaïl Bakounine
The Shortwave Report 04/13/18 Listen Globally!
“Lost in a Dream” Singing Competition Winner to Be Chosen on April 15 for ,000 Prize!
The World Dependent on Central Banks
Ohio Governor Race: Dennis Kucinich & Richard Cordray Run Against Mike DeWine
March 2018 Honduras Coup Again Update
Apologie du zadisme insurrectionnel
ICE contract with license plate reader company
Black Portraiture(S) IV: The Color of Silence...Cuba No...Cambridge Yes
Prohibiting Micro-Second Betting on the Exchanges
Prosecutors treat Muslims harsher than non-Muslims for the same crimes
Amy Goodman interview on cell phone safety
Mesa, Arizona police officer kills unarmed white man
Israeli leaders should be prosecuted for war crimes
Paraphysique de l'autorité
Two Podcasts on fbi corruption
Fbi assassins assault & try to kill DAVID ATKINS
EPA Head Scott Pruitt: Of Cages And Sirens
The Shortwave Report 04/06/18 Listen Globally!
More Breaking News...