About Us Contact Us Subscribe Calendar Publish RSS

CopWatch LA

IMC Network: www.indymedia.org africa: ambazonia canarias estrecho / madiaq kenya nigeria south africa canada: hamilton london, ontario maritimes montreal ontario ottawa quebec thunder bay vancouver victoria windsor winnipeg east asia: burma jakarta japan korea manila qc europe: abruzzo alacant andorra antwerpen armenia athens austria barcelona belarus belgium belgrade bristol brussels bulgaria calabria croatia cyprus emilia-romagna estrecho / madiaq euskal herria galiza germany grenoble hungary ireland istanbul italy la plana liege liguria lille linksunten lombardia london madrid malta marseille nantes napoli netherlands nice northern england norway oost-vlaanderen paris/Île-de-france patras piemonte poland portugal roma romania russia saint-petersburg scotland sverige switzerland thessaloniki torun toscana toulouse ukraine united kingdom valencia latin america: argentina bolivia chiapas chile chile sur cmi brasil colombia ecuador mexico peru puerto rico qollasuyu rosario santiago tijuana uruguay valparaiso venezuela venezuela oceania: adelaide aotearoa brisbane burma darwin jakarta manila melbourne perth qc sydney south asia: india mumbai united states: arizona arkansas asheville atlanta austin baltimore big muddy binghamton boston buffalo charlottesville chicago cleveland colorado columbus dc hawaii houston hudson mohawk kansas city la madison maine miami michigan milwaukee minneapolis/st. paul new hampshire new jersey new mexico new orleans north carolina north texas nyc oklahoma philadelphia pittsburgh portland richmond rochester rogue valley saint louis san diego san francisco san francisco bay area santa barbara santa cruz, ca sarasota seattle tampa bay tennessee urbana-champaign vermont western mass worcester west asia: armenia beirut israel palestine process: fbi/legal updates mailing lists process & imc docs tech volunteer projects: print radio satellite tv video regions: oceania united states topics: biotech
printable version - js reader version - email this article - view hidden posts - tags and related articles

Protest Against Scientology

by Mitsy Wednesday, Jun. 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM

"[T]hey do creepy things. I told them when I was in, 'You are creating your own enemies,' and I still say that to them. People are here because Scientology creates their own enemies." -- Tory Christman

Protest Against Scie...
scidemo1.jpg, image/jpeg, 400x300

Photos from Enturbulation.org

On Saturday evening at about 8:30, I stumbled upon a demonstration in front of the Scientology building on Hollywood Boulevard. About 12 people participated, most wearing masks, likenesses of the one in V for Vendetta. The numerous signs had messages including “Scientology disconnects families.” Among the many messages on people's shirts was “Cultbusters.”

While I was talking to various demonstrators (it was a bit surreal talking to people with these masks on), I was told that Scientology managed to get one of them in jail (but not during this demonstration, apparently) on some trumped up charges. The group seemed optimistic that they would get this person out.

I interviewed one of the participants. During the course of our conversation, I learned she was Tory Christman, who had been in Scientology for decades.

QUESTION: You actually were in Scientology?

TORY: Yes, I was in it for 30 years.

Q: How did you get out of it?

TORY: I escaped out. They chased me all the way across the country. I got out with the police in the Tampa airport in 2000. I was with it 30 years.

Q: The police helped you get out?

TORY: Yeah. They were there to get me.

Q: How did you get into it?

TORY: I read Dianetics, believe it or not, and I hitchhiked from Chicago to here.

It's a mind control cult, and you can't see the walls. It's like The Truman Show, you can't see the walls when you're in.

Q: . . . What made you start to lose interest in it?

TORY: Because I got to the top, and it didn't work; and I realized they were a total con; and they were liars; and they're rip-off artists; and they don't care about the poor, the homeless, or blacks, or anything. They're just creepy people that run it. The people that are in it are often nice, and that's the glue that keeps people in. You go, “I really like my friends,” and if you leave, you lose all of your friends. I lost every friend of 30 years and my husband of 27 years—overnight.

Q: That's awful.

TORY: It is awful. So a lot of people stay just for that. They're like a low-grade mafia. They're not a good mafia, they're just low-grade, like high school bullies.

Q: . . . How have you been able to stay out? Don't they stalk former members?

TORY: They do, but I'm well-known on the internet. You can go look at YouTube.com/torymagoo44 , I have videos up on XenuTV.com where I've spoken to people. So I'm very verbal, I'm very open, and they know it.

Q: Did you have an article in the LA Weekly some years ago?

TORY: Yeah, and the New Times LA.

Q: How long have you been doing these demonstrations?

TORY: We've been doing the demonstrations for years, but I've been doing it for eight years.

Q: Is this a weekly demonstration?

TORY: We just do it whenever we want. And some of these guys have on the masks because they don't want Scientology to follow them and hurt them.

Q: I knew people who were involved in trying to stop the renaming of the street down here to L. Ron Hubbard Way. They said that Scientology would bring these big, tough-looking people to meetings to intimidate opponents. And people were afraid to speak up against them.

TORY: I was part of that. I was there—for Scientology--at the time. I was on their side. That's why they hate me because I've been everywhere in their thing.

Q: Is that episode of South Park [about Scientology] pretty accurate?

TORY: Absolutely. I did that level, it's 100% accurate. They'll say it isn't, but they're chronic liars. You have to know that.

ANOTHER DEMONSTRATOR: [The South Park episode] is a very educational layout of the religion, of the beliefs of the upper level.

TORY: Well it isn't a religion, it's a cult. But they say it's a religion for tax exempt purposes.

[A passerby yells an obscenity about Scientology.]

Q: You seem to be getting a lot of positive responses.

TORY: Yeah, people don't like them, they do creepy things. I told them when I was in, “You are creating your own enemies,” and I still say that to them. People are here because Scientology creates their own enemies.

Share on: Twitter, Facebook, Google+

by Mitsy Wednesday, Jun. 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Demonstration agains...
scidemo4.jpg, image/jpeg, 625x472

error
Share on: Twitter, Facebook, Google+

add your comments

Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 2 posted about this article.
anonymous lunatics Garko Factor Wednesday, Sep. 10, 2008 at 9:10 AM
Garko = BS mous Friday, Sep. 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM

Chris Ballew beat up by Pasadena police J05 5:01PM

Retired LAPD Sgt. Cheryl Dorsey explains how the LAPD's Board of Rights hearings work J05 3:40PM

An Ex-Cop Talks About Police Shootings J05 3:39PM

Do Nukes Kill? J02 4:40PM

Letter: Support Proportional Representation for the California State Legislature J01 1:23PM

Community Rallies in Santa Barbara in Solidarity with Inmate Firefighters D22 9:59PM

LAWSUIT ALLEGING FEDERAL VOTING RIGHTS VIOLATIONS IN KERN COUNTY D22 8:56PM

The Video ICE Wishes Was Never Made Public D22 8:39PM

Mitchell Englander going after homeless people D18 5:24PM

“Animaniacs in Concert!” with Voice Artist Rob Paulsen, Sat., Jan. 20 in Santa Clarita D18 4:30PM

The Eagle Rock Peace Vigil Marks 15 Years N27 11:23AM

12/2-3 LA Binational Conference To Cancel NAFTA and Unite Workers Of Mexico and the US N27 3:44AM

Winter 2017 National Immigrant Solidarity Network Monthly News Alert! N26 9:22PM

Nuclear Shutdown News November 2017 N26 4:23PM

Report Back on November 18th Counter Demonstration Against Anti-Muslim March N20 10:57AM

Report Back on November 18th Counter Demonstration Against Anti-Muslim March N19 7:12PM

National US Gov as wellas EPA slow to act on Abandoned uranium Mines Cleanup in Southwest N15 10:50AM

OUR HOUSE Grief Support Center Hosts 9th Annual Comedy Fundraiser N14 10:47AM

BUSTED: Watch LAPD cops plant drugs in black suspect’s wallet – unaware body cams were on N10 5:32PM

lapd shootings 1998 - 2015 N06 11:21PM

“Oh Say Can You See” How the LAPD Singing the National Anthem Cost the Dodgers WS Game 7? N03 7:30AM

Car drives into immigration protesters outside Rep. Ed Royce's office in Brea N02 2:06PM

PACIFICA RADIO BOARD SECRETLY OK'S BANKRUPTCY FILING & SEEKS NY SIGNAL SWAP O25 4:49PM

LAUSD, Privatization, Charters And The Fight To Defend Public Education Education Conferen O04 12:10PM

Afghan Women Read RAWA.org founded 1977 S27 9:42PM

[France] The State Attacks Indymedia-Grenoble and Indymedia-Nantes… Solidarity! S25 5:18PM

Segregation in the City of Angels: A 1939 Map of Housing Inequality in L.A. A15 7:44PM

Justice Dept. seeking info, IDs on 1.3M visitors to protest website DisruptJ20.org A15 1:04PM

Social media giants feel the heat at Palestinian digital conference J19 7:52PM

2017 Reflection: Palestine Teaches Us We Must Unite Around a Common Vision for Liberation J19 7:45PM

With U.S. Backing, Turkey Invades Kurdish Syrian Afrin J19 6:43PM

Tekken Cheats | Tekken Hack Coins and Gems J19 5:45PM

Progressive Reforms Were the Reaction to the Recessions and Social Turmoil in the 1880s J19 2:41PM

Brazil: And now what, Mr. lawfare man of the year? J19 2:23PM

Government Shutdown Solutions Could Leave Out Disaster Aid for Puerto Rico J19 11:01AM

The Shortwave Report 01/19/18 Listen Globally! J18 4:26PM

Tax Reform in the US: Trump's Attack on America J18 4:05AM

Paraphysique du No Future J18 2:14AM

Is Economic Speculation a Form of Structural Violence? J16 6:07AM

De Malik Oussekine à Rémi Fraisse, éréthisme policier J16 5:01AM

Epilogue: Pakistan on the chopping block in 2018? Zahir Ebrahim | Project Humanbeingsfirst J15 3:16PM

Friends J14 4:13PM

Pro domo J13 9:06PM

Part 3: Honduras Coup Repeat Update 15 December 2017 to 31 December 2017 J13 4:26AM

Paraphysique du fait divers J12 6:20PM

Brazil wants true justice for Lula! J12 4:14PM

Trilogy Exposing Crimes by fbi et al J11 8:22PM

The Shortwave Report 01/12/18 Listen Globally! J11 4:33PM

The Trump Election J11 4:43AM

Advocates for Terror: Why Ahed Tamimi and Her Family are No Heroes J10 9:47PM

Trial Starts for Woman with Erb’s Palsy Punched in Face Repeatedly by LAPD Officers J10 1:38PM

Dear District Attorney Jackie Lacey, Prosecute Killer Cops, Signed: Your Constituents J09 10:09PM

Free Fire Battlegrounds Diamond Cheats J09 3:44PM

“Animaniacs in Concert!” with Voice Artist Rob Paulsen, Sat., Feb. 3 at the Tilles Center J09 11:41AM

BDS Palestine Movement J09 8:07AM

Rotule doublement cassée, ouverte, joyeux anniversaire J09 12:21AM

© 2000-2003 Los Angeles Independent Media Center. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by the Los Angeles Independent Media Center. Running sf-active v0.9.4 Disclaimer | Privacy