- js reader version
- email this article
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Venice/Santa Monica Food Not Bombs
Tuesday, Jun. 13, 2006 at 7:40 PM
email@example.com P.O.Box 2881, Venice CA 90291
Venice/Santa Monica Food Not Bombs member arrested on Venice Beach Boardwalk following a series of on-going harassments, tickets, and police threats to arrest volunteers.
June 11, 2006 - Food Not Bombs Activist Arrested in Venice, CA
Venice/Santa Monica Food Not Bombs members were serving free food and giving away free literature on the Venice Beach Boardwalk Sunday morning when the LAPD singled out and arrested Food Not Bombs member Peggy Lee Kennedy, a third-generation Venice resident who was video taping from across the Boardwalk. This arrest follows a series of on-going harassments, tickets, police threats to arrest volunteers, and a police escorted health department visit and warning. Peggy was arrested for aledgedly violating a newly twice re-created vending law for the west side of the Venice Beach Boardwalk – once famous for its Free Speech Zone activity.
The law, Los Angeles Municipal Code (LAMC) 42.15, is masquerading as an ordinance created to control vending and fights over space in what once was a more fluid area, where people could participate in first amendment activity - first come first serve. The older law was not perfect (a one-page municipal code prohibiting commercial vending), but a minor adjustment to restrict total space allowed per person could have solved many of the problems.
In stead, the latest of two successive bad Boardwalk vending laws is four-pages centered in controlling public space. Further to the actual City law, there are four or five more pages of governing rules created by the Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. Some of the issues are:
· Restrictions and harassment of the Free Speech activists refusing to participate in the unfair vendor/permit/lottery system.
· Outlawing original political t-shirts offered for donations on the west side while sweatshop political t-shirts are being sold by stores on the east side.
· A fifty-foot noise rule directed at performers on the west side of the Boardwalk and targeting one very out-spoken African-American performer in particular, but not targeting the loud businesses and bars on the east side.
· And LAPD ticketing, harassing, and arresting those of us considered to be hurting precious property values, such as Food Not Bombs.
The law, very simply, is being used to further a gentrification agenda and rid Venice Beach of any remaining low-income people, people living an alternate [Venice Beach] lifestyle, and any unsightly homeless people. Bring in the cookie-cutter artists and get rid of the likes of us!
Venice/Santa Monica Food Not Bombs members were not vending or soliciting donations, not blocking a throughway, and not taking some permit vendor’s assigned space won in the rotten lottery system. They were protesting war and poverty by giving away free literature and free food to hungry people in unoccupied public space, which is supposed to be set aside for First Amendment activity.
Further to this, the west of the Venice Beach Boardwalk was officially declared a Free Speech Zone (maybe they really meant on Mars!) in the motion accompanying the passing of the latest LAMC 42.15, and Venice/Santa Monica Food Not Bombs firmly believes that the intent of this act should be to protect First Amendment activity, not to create a “Police State Zone” law used to harass or arrest political activists, the homeless, or anyone else they do not like on the Venice Beach Boardwalk.
For these reasons and more, the Venice/Santa Monica Chapter of Food Not Bombs demands that the City of Los Angeles, including its paid politicians, its City Attorneys, and the Los Angeles Police Department:
1. Stop making or enforcing laws that violate our constitutional rights to assemble, give out free political literature, protest war and poverty, and give away free vegetarian food on Venice Boardwalk.
2. Stop harassing or arresting any person for violating ridiculous “vending laws” in a publicly declared Free Speech Zone on Venice Boardwalk, especially if they are not vending.
3. Stop working with developers and citizen groups, such as neighborhood watch, to actively remove homeless, low-income, or people with alternative life-styles from Venice.
4. Publicly apologize to the homeless, musicians, artists, activists, and low-income or working-class people in Venice for destroying their “Quality of Life.”
The City of Los Angeles has enforced LAMC 42.15 on Venice Beach with an army of police using high-tech surveillance to crush the bohemian artist/activist Free Speech Zone community - paving the way for a NIMBY maximized “Profit Control Zone.”
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 3 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
KPFK is in double trouble, credit cards misused, and...
WW Broad & The War On Public Education In LA
KPFK= more. Tired of the turmoil? we are too.
KPFK Work Reductions ....signs of an ending now, so soon ?
kPFK under threatening duress - even to it's long-established staff by new Gen'l Mgr
Secretive Glonvec weapons manufacturer in town
KPFK in MeltDown.NOW.
KPFK RADIO is essential to Pacifica, who also umbrellas KPFA that may be falling away
More Local News...
League of Angels Fire Raiders Hack Tool Online
Western Leaders Snub China's WW II Victory Commemoration
Obama's Covert Drone War on Syria
Propaganda alert: 6 weeks after nuclear deal: "Israel more ready than ever to strike Iran"
Philippines: Bongbong’s whitewashing of Marcos name anathema to 2016 plans
Guatemalan President Resigns: Faces Corruption Charges
Veto-Proof Senate Margin Achieved for Iran Nuclear Deal
La pensée conditionnée
The truth of our time
Kurt cobains half brother hit and the mom of Kurt brown. Saint ram bone
Dollar As World's Reserve Currency Threatened
More Lawless US Sanctions on Russia
New Israeli Police State Measure
Gaza: A Socioeconomic Dead Zone
Dream ending for circus lions rescued in South America: Huge airlift to take 33 lions home
Crying for the USA disabled groups 2015
fbi/cia dirty business
Puerto Rico’s Religious Leaders Call for Debt Relief and End to Austerity
Venezuela Reveals New Evidence Against Opposition Leader Leopoldo Lopez
Violence and Instability on Russia's Border
Paraphysique de l'origami
KPFK programmer writes subscribers & updates info:
Maidan 2.0 Eerupting in Ukraine?
Farewell to Homo Oeconomicus
US Presidential Aspirants Irresponsibly Bash Putin
US Presidential Aspirants Resemble an FBI Most Wanted List
NYT Features Anti-Russian Propagandist
US Occupies Yemeni Island
More Breaking News...