- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Campaign to Stop Funding Hate
Sunday, Sep. 18, 2005 at 8:38 AM
The Campaign to Stop Funding Hate urges donors to make an informed decision about how they want their contributions channeled and ask all those committed to broad values of secularism, pluralism and justice to oppose the forces that use the pretext of relief operations to further their sectarian agendas.
September 17, 2005
For more information, contact: email@example.com
GIVE WELL, GIVE WISELY!
CSFH Urges Responsible Giving in the Wake of Hurricane Katrina
The Campaign to Stop Funding Hate (CSFH) stands in solidarity with all those who have suffered an immeasurable loss of life, property, and livelihood in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. We recognize that while the initial disaster was caused by a force of nature, the devastation and loss of life have been intensely exacerbated by the racist negligence of the US administration, which does not appear to care for the country's poor and marginalized communities. Once again, the conflicts that underlie American society stand fundamentally exposed while the actions of those in power reiterate that the issues of race, class and gender continue to place people in hierarchies that determine their value to the system. President Bush holidayed while New Orleans drowned, the director of FEMA sought to place the blame on the victims of the hurricane suggesting that they should have left for safer places (ignoring the fact that those who stayed mostly did so because they had no option), while Rep. Baker of Baton Rouge was reported as telling lobbyists (Wall Street Journal Washington wire): "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did it."
We are heartened by the fact that millions of people across the United States have rallied to support those affected by the floods, reminding us that despite being ruled by a racist and war-mongering government, we are still bound together by our common humanity. We at CSFH commit ourselves to contributing to the efforts all across the US and the world to provide relief to the victims of the Katrina disaster.
While it is difficult at moments like this to raise a critical voice, especially against those who claim to be involved in the task of helping the victims, we would like to place on record our concerns about some troubling aspects of the relief and rehabilitation efforts.
1. CSFH has, in the past, pointed out the ways in which natural disasters have opportunistically been used by sectarian groups (especially those exploiting religious sentiments) to create long-term polarizations in society. This case is no different. We find the prominent role being played by organizations such as Pat Robertson's Operation Blessing to be extremely disturbing. Notwithstanding the fact that Robertson has been exposed in the recent past for using funds collected for refugee relief in Africa to further his own diamond mining operations, this organization has been actively promoted by the U.S. state and is listed as one of the major charities endorsed by FEMA for the Katrina relief operations.
2. For those who have been following the rise of religious fundamentalism in India, this unapologetic promotion of a sectarian religious organization by the avowedly secular Bush administration reflects the strategy used by similar groups following natural disasters in India. In the aftermath of the Gujarat earthquake in 2000, the federal government of India and the state government of Gujarat (at that time, both ruled by the Bharatiya Janata Party) used the 'opportunity' of relief work to promote the operation of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS; the violent and sectarian Hindutva organization) and its service wing, Sewa Bharati. More recently, the RSS along with its fronts in the US and UK (the IDRF, Sewa USA, Sewa UK and Sewa International) rode the tsunami to consolidate their presence in the affected areas.
3. Organizations such as IDRF, Sewa International, Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh (HSS), which are part of the violent, hate-mongering Hindutva network are also appealing for the donation of funds for the cause of hurricane relief. Given the history of these organizations, their agenda deserves careful scrutiny.
4. It is also unfortunate that this tragedy is being exploited by disaster-profiteers among U.S. corporations, just as war-profiteers are reaping the benefits of the war on Iraq (with in fact some of the same culprits such as Halliburton and Bechtel growing rich from both disasters).
The Campaign to Stop Funding Hate wishes to place on record its opposition to organizations that promote hatred in the US, India or other parts of the world. It demands that FEMA stop endorsing groups like Operation Blessing and asks socially responsible groups to ensure that charity inflow is duly monitored so that relief organizations are held accountable for the ways in which funds are being spent. We urge donors to make an informed decision about how they want their contributions channeled and ask all those committed to broad values of secularism, pluralism and justice to oppose the forces that use the pretext of relief operations to further their sectarian agendas.
THE CAMPAIGN TO STOP FUNDING HATE [http://www.stopfundinghate.org]
Report this post as:
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
After Being Told He's 'Full of Sh*t' at School Event, Mnuchin Demands UCLA Suppress Video
More Local News...
Democratic Socialists of America
Leonard Peltier Non Violent Native American Political Prisoner since 1970's
Paraphysique miscellanées de l'aggiornamento
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Cleanup
FBI Investigated LA County Sheriff Baca,Why Not Hank Skinner's Persecution?
Updated Partial List Of Famous Vegetarians, Vegans, & Fruitarians
The Shortwave Report 07136/18 Listen Globally!
Social Policy as Social Infrastructure
Vol I: 84 Varieties Of GOP Election Fraud
Texas Can Call it An Execution,But It is A State Sponsored Murder of Hank Skinner..
June 2018 Honduras coup update
Maria Estrada doubles down on racist support
New York Women in Film & Television Announces 2018 NYWIFT Ha Phuong Scholarship Recipients
Trapps de la domination, trapps de l'aliénation
Please Work For The Defeat Of Brett Kavanaugh And Why
Change Links 2018 July posted
Transinhumanisme ( transe inhumanisme )
Google, World's Biggest Censor, Was Founded By The CIA
For a World Free of Nuclear Risks
Corrupt CDC Ignores Meat Fish Recalls
The (Temporary) End of Globalization
Aternatives to Abortions such as Plan B the pill, condoms and IUD
U.S Congressional Legal Minds Know Better Than Allowing Texas To Murder Hank Skinner
ACLU in many US states defends in court KKK and American Nazis Sometimes for Money
Judge Brett Kavanaugh: 12 Of Many Reasons To Oppose Him
The Shortwave Report 07/06/18 Listen Globally!
More Breaking News...