- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Barbara Peck
Tuesday, Jun. 21, 2005 at 3:40 PM
A Complaint Filed with the Los Angeles City Ethics Commission on Wednsday, June 15, 2005 re: Cindy Miscikowski's Breaches
How did DAMAGE or INJURY occur?:
With respect to: Los Angeles City Charter Sec. 215. Oath of Office, Los Angeles City Government Ethics Ordinance: Sec 45.5.5, and LAMC 42.15 I do hereby declare the following to be true:
1) That L.A. City Council Member Cindy Miscikowski has violated her Oath of Office by failing to uphold the Constitution of the United States and Article 1 Sec.2 of the California State Constitution by sponsoring, then voting to amend, LAMC 42.15 (ORDINANCE NO. 176270) (hereinafter referred to as "Ordinance") on October 27, 2005 and, subsequently enforcing said Ordinance from March 1st, 2005 onwards; thereby causing irreparable harm to the Constitutional rights of both citizens and visitors by restricting *protected public free speech on the west side of Ocean Front Walk (hereinafter referred to as the “Free Speech Zone.”) *(CA Superior Court Case No SC009730, Alliance for Survival, Jerry Rubin et al v L.A.City Council & LAPD; Perry v. LAPD; U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit; Case No. 96-55545)
2) That the policy codified in the Ordinance violates citizens’ rights to free expression as guaranteed by the First Amendment and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution and Article 1, sec. 2 of the California Constitution.
3) That L.A. City Council Member Cindy Miscikowski failed to protect, defend and uphold the original Ordinance (pre-October 27, 2004) in the Free Speech Zone and the First Amendment Right to free speech embodied therein. And that by:
• neglecting to validate authentic free speech 'vendors' ie. nonprofits, churches, artists, etc.
• neglecting to remove commercial vending ie. no intrinsic free speech message
• neglecting to regulate size of displays ie. oversized and extended displays
Cindy Miscikowski allowed violations of the original Ordinance to proliferate and accumulate, leading to over-congestion and conflict in the Free Speech Zone.
3) That, by so doing the above, Council Member Cindy Miscikowski behaved unethically and is in violation of L.A. City Ethics Ordinance sec. 45.5.5 (Misuse of City Position or Resources) by engaging in activities that are unconstitutional and not a proper performance of her City duties. In that: Constitutional Rights have been restricted and valuable City resources have been expended in her time-consuming and costly attempts to enforce the Ordinance in the Free Speech Zone.
4) That Council Member Cindy Miscikowski, as a City official, is charged with the responsibility of making the decisions that shape our government and affect the people of Los Angeles and that she did not give due time nor consideration to the needs of the citizens of Los Angeles who are irreparably damaged by the enforcement of the Ordinance in the Free Speech Zone.
5) That Cindy Miscikowski has not acted in the best interests of the City: "persons in the public service shall not only be ever conscious that public service is a public trust but also shall be impartial and devoted to the best interests of the **City, and shall so act and conduct themselves, both outside and inside the City's service, as not to give occasion for distrust of their impartiality or of their devotion to the City's best interests." (Ethics Handbook for Los Angeles City Officials Pg. 12).
**The 'City' being defined as: "a large and densely populated urban area."
6) That Ocean Front Walk is a vital part of the City of Los Angeles. With its hundreds of thousands of visitors, both local and foreign, it makes jobs and revenue for the city. Since the enforcement of the Ordinance the west side of Ocean Front Walk has suffered the following harm:
(i) The “Spirit of Venice” has been compromised
(ii) Commercial vending has increased
(iii) LAPD activity spoils the ambiance and threatens residents and visitors alike
7) That I (and others) are suffering irreparable injury and are without a plain, speedy and adequate remedy, thereby rendering a preliminary and permanent injunction (in addition to money damages) appropriate in that:
(a) money damages may not adequately compensate me for the denial of my civil liberties;
(b) money damages for my injuries are extremely difficult to calculate and, given the nature of the Civil Rights violation in question, could be deemed 'priceless'
(c) if, as a result of Cindy Miscikowski's illegal conduct, the Ordinance continues to be enforced, a multiplicity of lawsuits will be required because the illegal conduct is continuous and ongoing.
Bill of Rights: Amendment 1: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Bill of Rights: Amendment 14:The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people
California Constitution: Article 1 Declaration of Rights Sec. 2 (a): Every person may freely speak, write and publish his or her sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of this right. A law may not restrain or abridge liberty of speech or press.
Los Angeles City Charter Sec. 215. Oath of Office: "Every officer provided for in the Charter shall, before entering upon the discharge of the duties of office, take the following oath or affirmation: 'I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California and the Charter of the City of Los Angeles, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of (here inserting the name of the office) according to the best of my ability.'"
Los Angeles City Government Ethics Ordinance: Sec 45.5.5 Misuse of City Position and Resources: “A city official or employee engages in a prohibited use of his or her official position or prospective position when he or she engages in activities other than in the lawful and proper performance of the person's City duties."
Ethics Handbook for Los Angeles City Officials: "City officials are charged with the responsibility of making the decisions that shape our government and affect the people of Los Angeles."
Signed: _____________________________ Date: ______________
NAMES and ADDRESSES of WITNESSES:
Abraham Butler - 221 Horizon Avenue, Venice, CA 90291
Diane Butler - 221 Horizon Avenue, Venice, CA 90291
Loni Butler - 221 Horizon Avenue, Venice, CA 90291
Bill Greenslade – 317 Vista Royale Drive, Palm Desert, CA 92211
Donna Kraft – 26 Park Avenue, Venice, CA 90291
Jerry Rubin – (310) 399-1000 (address unknown at this time)
Therese Dietlin - firstname.lastname@example.org (address unknown at this time)
Signed: ___________________________________________ Date:_______________________
Report this post as:
Why Should California Choose De Leon Over Feinstein?
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
More Local News...
Stress, réaction organique à l'agression
Elder Aliyah to Israel, Like Abraham and Sarah
Paraphysique du microcosme macrocosme
September 2018 Honduras coup update
The Nation Unites Against Brian Kemp, Most Racist Secretary of State in US
The Nation Unites Against Brian Kemp, Most Racist Secretary of State in US
Paraphysique de l'ubérisation
22 Ways Trump Has Increased US Deficit By 4 to 5 Trillion Dollars
Debunking Some Anti-Prop 10 Propaganda
Plus d'hôpitaux, à bas les aéros
When Banana Ruled (documentary)
Outstanding Report By RAMOLA D &Dr.Tomo Shibata
Dark Clouds Gather on Horizon for Financial System, Warns International Monetary Fund
Fbi pure evil & immorality
Reality Check: Palestinian-Israeli Coexistence is a Big Lie
Voiceless Animals: 2018 Candidates They Oppose
IMF Lowers Global Growth Projections and Raises Concerns of Financial Crisis
Canitie, l'inhumanité vieillit
L'anarchie en quelques exemples
100 Ways GOP Have Stolen Elections Since 1876
Proximospective de l'univocité réifiée
Trump & Palestine vs. Genesis, Rashi & The Land of Israel
The Criminality of the Elites
Business de l'inhumanitaire
Marriage Rape/Date Rape Highest Rapes
Women I Know Get Raped - Too Many Times To Count!
More Breaking News...