- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Gary Sudborough
Thursday, Oct. 07, 2004 at 10:53 AM
A list of examples of propaganda in the US corporate media.
1. Civilian casualties equal collateral damage. Since guerrilla fighters depend on popular support for success, the intimidation or destruction of that base of support is a technique of counterinsurgency warfare. Civilian casualties are the real goal in Iraq, not an accidental occurrence.
2. The piecemeal day by day bombing of cities like Falluja equals precision air strikes on terrorist mastermind Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Another official demon was necessary because Osama bin Laden is occupied in Afghanistan and therefore, unavailable as an excuse. Of course, if the bombing of Falluja is continued long enough, the city will be completely destroyed without arousing the anger and international condemnation of one massive air strike.
3. Iraqi resistance fighters against colonial occupation and oil piracy equal terrorists, thugs, criminals, Saddam Hussein supporters and Islamic extremists
4. Foreign fighters equal Arabs from neighboring countries who have come to aid the Iraqi resistance, never the Poles, Bulgarians, Ukrainians, Italians, Danes, Japanese and others who comprise the coalition of the bribed and coerced.
5. Dirty bombs equal radioactive weapons which might be used against US cities by terrorists, never the radioactive bombs the US has already dropped on Afghanistan, Serbia, Kosovo, Bosnia and Iraq.
6. The torture of Iraqi prisoners of war at Abu Ghraib by US intelligence agents equals abuse by a few aberrant individuals, who will now be punished. Never will it be admitted that torture by sensory deprivation and humiliation has been a method employed by the CIA for decades and is an official policy described in torture manuals produced by the CIA. Notice carefully that the US corporate media always use the word "abuse" to describe these activities and not the much more accurate word, torture. Torture is something done by enemies of the United States and not by Americans themselves.
7. Bringing freedom and democracy to Iraq equals installing a former CIA agent named Allawi, who committed terrorist bombings in Iraq for the CIA and recently was accused of executing a group of Iraqi prisoners by shooting them in the head with a revolver. Wow, what a democrat and believer in the rule of law! It is very reminiscent of the puppet rulers like Diem, Ky and Thieu, who were put in power by the US during the Vietnam war. As John Fogerty says in his latest antiwar song, it is deja vu all over again.
8. The bombing of Iraqi homes equals security and stability operations, much like the burning of Vietnamese villages was designated as pacification by the Pentagon.
9. Improving the lives of Iraqi citizens by building schools, etc. equals the poisoning of their land for 4.5 billion years with thousands of tons of depleted uranium being utilized in the bombs, missiles and tank shells presently employed every day in Iraq. American soldiers giving candy to Iraqi children is scant compensation for the cancers and birth defects which will result in the future from depleted uranium exposure, causing immense suffering and often death for many children. Incidentally, since the atmosphere is not contained and is planetary in scope, this radioactive dust, though vastly diluted, will cause cancers all over the world, just as the nuclear testing done by the Soviet Union and the United States increased the number of cancers worldwide. It is a tribute to the power and mind-numbing effects of the US corporate media that this abysmal situation does not cause tremendous outrage. As an analogy to medieval Europe, there should be people with torches and pitchforks in the streets over this threat to the Earth and future generations.
10. Ambushes by Iraqi resistance fighters firing machine guns, mortars and rocket-propelled grenades against US convoys and street to street fighting in Najaf, Samarra and Sadr City equal military reports of one US soldier slightly wounded and over 100 insurgents killed. Go figure. The objective of guerrilla warfare is to inflict maximum casualties on the enemy from planned ambushes and then to retreat to fight another day.
11. Assurances from the US government that everything is going well in Iraq equal the famous "light at the end of the tunnel" phrase which was used year after year during the Vietnam war to reassure the American people of eventual success in Vietnam. As in Vietnam, that light may be that of an oncoming train. All empires collapse and the US military and economic empire is no different in this respect from all others in history. However, with the advent of nuclear weapons and the precarious state of the environment, this collapse could have catastrophic effects for humanity.
12. Assertions by the Bush administration that Iraq was an imminent military threat to the whole world equal a country too weak to be a military threat even to its neighbors. The first Persian Gulf war utterly devastated the infrastructure of Iraq and ten years of an economic embargo kept any repairs from being made, as well as killing over two million Iraqi citizens. The United States only attacks militarily weak countries like Grenada, Panama and Iraq, and this is a lesson being learned by future potential targets like North Korea and Iran, as they consider or are in the process of developing nuclear weapons.
13. Statements by US government officials and the US corporate media that oil has nothing to do with the reasons for this war equal a war that has everything to do with oil profits, exactly the opposite of what is professed. Great Britain conquered Iraq in 1917 and established a series of puppet governments there, which lasted until the 1958 revolution. This was done not because British oil barons were interested in ancient Babylonian history and artifacts, but because Iraqi crude oil was of high quality, lay close to the surface, required little labor expense to extract and therefore, yielded enormous profits. Are American capitalists immune to the same impulses which motivated British capitalists? Or owning most of the wealth in the United States and the manufacturing base, are they incapable of influencing US government policies? I think not.
14. The apologetics for the lack of success in Iraq and US military officials' statements that more troops are needed equal the history of the Vietnam war all over again.
When searching for the use of propaganda in the corporate media, pay close attention to the manipulation of fear and the use of emotionally charged words and phrases. Also, look for unfounded assumptions and arguments which are illogical or inconsistent with the past history of the world. Propaganda is so prevalent in the US corporate media that I am positive you can discover other propaganda equations to add to this list.
Report this post as:
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
More Local News...
Antrhopocène, le grand effondrement
Creative Destruction Hack Diamonds Windows/iOS/Android - Creative Destruction Generator
The Dictatorship of Corporations
18 Lethal Consequences Of Hunting
Paraphysique de l'outplacement déontologue
Creative Destruction Hack Mod Generator
Shopping du bashing
After Lehman Brothers, Experts Say Global Financial Crisis Can Happen Again
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen
Probabilités de fin d'humanité
Florida Area of Migrant Farmworkers Denied Right to Construct Health Clinic near NaplesCIW
Propagande de virus, virus de propagande
Steer clear of work morality!
Sweatshop Lodge Ceremony Continues in US Fed Prisons Led by Inmates
Paraphysique de l'origami
The Shortwave Report 09/07/18 Listen Globally!
August 2018 Honduras Coup update
Du réussissement putréfié
Brett Kavanaugh Filled The 5th Circuit With Execution Judges
Augusta Georgia Woman Gets 5 Year Prison Sentence for Writing About Russians Crime Acts
Paraphysique de contextualité
Crisis Regulation in Global Capitalism
Ex-voto de réification
Please Oppose Warmonger, Execution and Torture Supporting Bush Operative Brett Kavanaugh
Paraphysique d'exploitation occultation
Ryan Zinke Is Charging Taxpayers For A Trophy Hunters' Council
More Breaking News...