- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Roey Rosenblith
Sunday, Mar. 23, 2003 at 2:35 AM
email@example.com Wilmington, NC
Action at the Academy Awards: Get Michael Moore to Run for President!
mike_ucla.jpg, image/jpeg, 400x625
Why Michael Moore Should Run For President
Over the last 3 years the Green Party has witnessed some amazing growth. In 2002 alone we ran 545 candidates and won nearly 70 seats, and our candidates have received a greater and greater percentage of votes every year since 2000. We have two officials in State offices, John Eder in the Maine House of Representatives, and Matt Ahearn in the New Jersey General Assembly, and Matt Gonzalez is a quite prominent as President of the Board of Supervisors in San Francisco. Our party is the only growing party in the United States, while all the other parties have lost or remain unchanged in membership, the Green Party has grown by 27% in 2002 alone. In addition, corporate corruption, war for natural resources, and environmental disasters have brought the need for an alternative political voice to a head. We stand a chance to make a significant impact on the 2004 Presidential Election. But only, if we run a well-known candidate, with a serious message.
After much contemplation, and discussion with fellow Green Party members, I have come to the conclusion that our only alternative to a Nader campaign is running Michael Moore for President.
To get involved with this campaign visit our (preliminary) website at: http://www.cgmn.org/moore04/index.html and email mike at firstname.lastname@example.org to encourage him to run.
We're putting together a moblization at the Academy Awards on Sunday Night, spread the word and tell folks to show up outside the Kodak Theatre at 4PM http://www.kodaktheatre.com/directions.asp .
Below are the reasons we feel that Michael Moore would be a great candidate:
1. Name Recognition: This is perhaps the most important reason to run Michael Moore. Without 70 percent name recognition it’s very difficult to run someone for President. Ralph Nader has 91 percent name recognition, people know who he is and are able to identify what he believes in. Think about George W. Bush, he started off his race sky high in opinion polls because people associated his name with his father. As people became more familiar with him, his popularity declined (actually they steadily declined throughout his whole race) but he was able to pull off a near tie vote because people associated his name with the Presidency. In the 2000 election people found out about the Green Party after reading about the Nader campaign, they didn’t find out about Nader from reading about the Green Party. Due to his recent movie and best-selling book, people know who Michael Moore is, and after he wins an Academy Award (more on this later) his fame is only due to increase.
2. He knows his Stuff:Michael Moore has dedicated his entire life to documenting and campaigning on issues related to social justice. He has written two best selling books, directed two amazing documentaries, produced two television shows, and made one satirical film all relating to the pitfalls of America society. Not only that, no one can accuse him of never holding a political office. When he was 18 he ran for the school board on a campaign of firing his former high school principal, and won!
3. People Relate to Him: Now, I think Ralph Nader is fantastic, and it was absolutely essential that he ran in 2002, however many of his detractors fault him for being a little aloof. I know the man is passionate, but no matter what he’s always going to play better to the college student/perennially leftist American elite, then he is to heartland America. Michael Moore on the other hand, its impossible to remove him from the heartland, the guy is the essence of Americana.
4. Media Attention: Michael Moore is a natural “media star,” a quality that Nader himself admits he lacks. He has after all spent the better part of his life creating media, so he obviously knows what plays well in front of a camera. And he accomplishes it without a trace, not a single wisp of phoniness. When Michael Moore speaks you know it’s unrehearsed and yet his statements are still immensely profound.
5. Familiarity: The public knows Michael Moore, he’s produced two TV Shows, The Awful Truth, and TV Nation, directed three great documentaries, Roger and Me, The Big One, and of course the award winning Bowling for Columbine. He’s also written three best selling books, Adventures in TV Nation, Downsize This! Random Threats from an Unarmed American, and Stupid White Men (#1 New York Times Bestseller List in its 46th Week). Not to mention his hit comedy Canadian Bacon. Even if some Americans disagree with him, everyone knows what he stands for, and that’s a lot more then an unknown candidate will bring to the stage. If we do run an unknown, half of our time will be spent trying to familiarize the public with this individual and convince them that they are credible enough to deserve their vote.
So here is the task at hand. We must convince Michael that he should run for President, if at all possible we should try to convince him by March 23rd.
Why March 23rd? It’s the night of the Academy Awards! Where it has been nearly unanimously decided that Michael Moore will win Best Documentary. If Michael takes this glorious opportunity, with millions of Americans listening to announce his campaign for Presidency under the Green Party, then we almost assuredly have 5 percent of the vote. Even if he doesn’t accept the nomination at the 2004 Nomination Convention, it doesn’t matter; his campaign will generate enough interest in the Green Party to be well worth it. Heck he can make a movie of the whole thing! It’s a golden opportunity to get the issues he sees as important out there, and to threaten the political power base enough for America to stand up and take notice.
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 42 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
|yay yay yay!!!
||Sunday, Mar. 23, 2003 at 4:00 AM
||fat beaver cleaver
||Sunday, Mar. 23, 2003 at 4:12 AM
||Sunday, Mar. 23, 2003 at 4:42 AM
|Mr.bla bla bla
||Sunday, Mar. 23, 2003 at 5:02 AM
||Sunday, Mar. 23, 2003 at 4:02 PM
|I'll tell you who'd love that LG
||Sunday, Mar. 23, 2003 at 4:22 PM
||Sunday, Mar. 23, 2003 at 4:42 PM
|Just a test
||Friday, Apr. 04, 2003 at 10:29 AM
||Friday, Apr. 04, 2003 at 5:14 PM
|Michasl Moore is a shithead asshole
||Friday, Apr. 04, 2003 at 9:21 PM
||Friday, Apr. 04, 2003 at 10:14 PM
|FUCK YOU, WACKO
||Hey, Wanker Protester
||Saturday, Apr. 05, 2003 at 12:58 AM
|FUCK YOU, WACKO
||Hey, Wanker Protester
||Saturday, Apr. 05, 2003 at 1:06 AM
|TO: Hey, Wanker Protester
||EAT SHIT AND DIE, OKAY?
||Saturday, Apr. 05, 2003 at 2:47 AM
|Time to Move
||Saturday, Apr. 05, 2003 at 6:26 AM
||FUCK YOU, NAZI REX
||Saturday, Apr. 05, 2003 at 6:35 AM
||Saturday, Apr. 05, 2003 at 6:40 AM
|Well, Rex who is Fucked Up
||Fuck the Right Wing
||Saturday, Apr. 05, 2003 at 7:07 AM
||Sunday, Apr. 06, 2003 at 1:34 PM
|Hey, Duffy, Shit for Brains
||Duffy, you have your head up your ass...duh..
||Sunday, Apr. 06, 2003 at 2:14 PM
|Fuck the Right Wing
||EAT SHIT AND DIE, OKAY?
||Sunday, Apr. 06, 2003 at 3:05 PM
|Hahahahaha, Right Wingers Suck Shit
||FUCK THE FREEPERS
||Sunday, Apr. 06, 2003 at 3:37 PM
||Tuesday, Jun. 24, 2003 at 1:33 AM
||Tuesday, Jun. 24, 2003 at 1:55 AM
|Bunch of Pricks
||Tuesday, Jun. 24, 2003 at 10:38 AM
||Tuesday, Jun. 24, 2003 at 1:41 PM
|Bush Admirer wants to know...
||where'd that come from?
||Tuesday, Jun. 24, 2003 at 1:48 PM
|VP, not President
||Tuesday, Jun. 24, 2003 at 9:46 PM
|"That's the ticket."
||Tuesday, Jun. 24, 2003 at 10:40 PM
|Nader, Kucinich, and Michael Moore
||Tuesday, Jun. 24, 2003 at 10:56 PM
||Wednesday, Jun. 25, 2003 at 1:46 AM
|What is the basis...
||Wednesday, Jun. 25, 2003 at 7:58 AM
|Signs his name with an "X"
||Wednesday, Jun. 25, 2003 at 9:08 AM
||Wednesday, Jun. 25, 2003 at 4:09 PM
|Michael Moore for President??
||Sunday, Jul. 13, 2003 at 3:28 PM
||Sunday, Jul. 13, 2003 at 3:33 PM
||Sunday, Jul. 13, 2003 at 4:51 PM
||Sunday, Jul. 13, 2003 at 4:52 PM
|Draft Michael Moore?
||Sunday, Jul. 13, 2003 at 11:45 PM
|while singing cumbieya
||Please Don't make me
||Monday, Jul. 14, 2003 at 12:00 AM
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
More Local News...
Muselières syndicales, muselières patronales
Jeff Bezos, Amazon, The Washington Post, Whole Foods, Etc
Why Choose Nut Milk Over Cows' Milk
Antrhopocène, le grand effondrement
Creative Destruction Hack Diamonds Windows/iOS/Android - Creative Destruction Generator
The Dictatorship of Corporations
18 Lethal Consequences Of Hunting
Paraphysique de l'outplacement déontologue
Creative Destruction Hack Mod Generator
Shopping du bashing
After Lehman Brothers, Experts Say Global Financial Crisis Can Happen Again
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen
Probabilités de fin d'humanité
Florida Area of Migrant Farmworkers Denied Right to Construct Health Clinic near NaplesCIW
Propagande de virus, virus de propagande
Steer clear of work morality!
Sweatshop Lodge Ceremony Continues in US Fed Prisons Led by Inmates
Paraphysique de l'origami
The Shortwave Report 09/07/18 Listen Globally!
August 2018 Honduras Coup update
Du réussissement putréfié
Brett Kavanaugh Filled The 5th Circuit With Execution Judges
Augusta Georgia Woman Gets 5 Year Prison Sentence for Writing About Russians Crime Acts
Paraphysique de contextualité
Crisis Regulation in Global Capitalism
Ex-voto de réification
More Breaking News...