- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
Saturday, Mar. 15, 2003 at 4:35 PM
If the people of the world are ever to be free, there must come a time when being a citizen of the world takes precedence over being the soldier of a nation. Now is that time.
Please copy, print and distribute the veterans call to conscience (attached) www.calltoconscience.net
Call to Conscience Fact Sheet
• Over 700 veterans have signed the statement. 20% are Gulf war/ Gulf era veterans. 45% are Vietnam Veterans and 15% are World War II veterans. Many atomic veterans from the 1950s have also signed the statement. At this date the new signers are predominately Gulf War veterans and active duty troops
• The statement has been signed by prominent individuals. These include:
Blasé Bonpane – Director, Office of the Americas
Fr. Bob Bossie – SJC
Fr. Roy Bourgeoise- Founder of the School of Americas Watch
Daniel Ellsberg – Korean Era Veteran and author of the “Pentagon Papers”
Michael Moore- Film maker
Jeff Paterson – First active duty troop to refuse deployment to the Gulf in 1991
Howard Zinn – WWII Veteran, historian and author of “A People’s History of the US”
Kurt Vonnegut – WWII Veteran, POW and author
10 active duty veterans have signed the call.
• The call was initiated by a member of Vietnam Veterans Against the War Anti Imperialist (VVAWAI) who put out a broad call to veterans to help craft a statement that would represent a unified veterans voice. 7 Veterans responded to the call. These included veterans of many nationalities (including one from Scotland), members of VVAWAI, VFP, VSA, NION as well as activists with the GI Rights Hotline. Veterans were from "Nam, the '80's and from the Persian Gulf war. There were CO's and resisters from Vietnam as well as the Gulf in the writing group.
• The Project receives approximately 200 emails a day. A large majority of these emails are from active duty troops who have received the statement on base, from a family member or in Europe. A great majority of these comments reflect beliefs that the US has not made a case for war, many of these comments are coming from those who are being deployed. Many of these comments are available on the Projects web site (both pro and con statements): www.calltoconscience.net The statement has been posted on numerous military web sites and is regularly broadcast out through military email list serves.
• European activists are leafleting the statement to troops throughout Europe – in Antwerp, Milan, London and Germany. The statement has been taken to troops in Washington state, Hawaii, Texas, California and more. The statement has been translated into Spanish, Italian, German, French, Danish, Turkish, Malay and Farsi. An Arab translation is in the works. American veterans traveling to Europe are doing press interviews and one veterans living in Turkey has contacted press there.
• Interviews have been done with press from Egypt, Mexico, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain and more.
Report this post as:
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
More Local News...
Illegal Russians Receiving Land and Homes in West Bank 2018
Un monde de pauvreté
14 Disturbing Facts About Scott Gottlieb, Trump's FDA Head
Behind the scenes at fbi National Academy
Treasury Takes Aim at Shell Companies
Paraphysique de l'intelligence
Oklahoma GOP Senator Jim Inhofe's Bloody Record
Globalization: hope on the horizon despite Fake Liberals.
Sorry President Trump,Ted Cruz Texas Judicial System,is Worse Than Many Shithole Countries
The Shortwave Report 07/20/18 Listen Globally!
The System Question as a Survival Question
Nation's Largest Voting Machine Co., ESS, Admits Lying Re Having Installed Remote Control
Du pain et des jeux
Paraphysique de martyrologie
Children Incorporated Earns 4-Star Rating on Charity Navigator
Democratic Socialists of America
Leonard Peltier Non Violent Native American Political Prisoner since 1970's
Paraphysique miscellanées de l'aggiornamento
FBI Investigated LA County Sheriff Baca,Why Not Hank Skinner's Persecution?
Updated Partial List Of Famous Vegetarians, Vegans, & Fruitarians
The Shortwave Report 07136/18 Listen Globally!
Social Policy as Social Infrastructure
Vol I: 84 Varieties Of GOP Election Fraud
Texas Can Call it An Execution,But It is A State Sponsored Murder of Hank Skinner..
June 2018 Honduras coup update
Maria Estrada doubles down on racist support
New York Women in Film & Television Announces 2018 NYWIFT Ha Phuong Scholarship Recipients
Trapps de la domination, trapps de l'aliénation
More Breaking News...