TEN DISGUSTING THINGS ABOUT CORPORATIONS
(excerpted from the new book The Corporate Cult by Rich Zubaty)
1) CORPORATIONS ARE LEGALLY REGARDED AS PERSONS: they have all the privileges and none of the responsibilities of being people. They do not eat, sleep, die, feel anything, pay a fair share of taxes or get drafted in time of war.
2) CORPORATIONS COMMIT CRIMES BUT ARE NOT PROSECUTED AS CRIMINALS: according to the law, corporations do not possess a mens rea, a mental state, and therefore do not possess the intent to commit crime. Therefore they cannot be prosecuted as criminals. So, according to the law, corporations are "persons" devoid of a mental state. In other words, certified idiots. And instead of protecting society from them by institutionalizing them -- as we do with most sociopaths -- we let them own property, hire workers, and shout at us from TV.
3) CORPORATIONS ARE ON WELFARE: Corporate Welfare costs U.S. taxpayers $400 billion every single year. Welfare for human people costs $40 billion.
4) CORPORATIONS COST THE U.S. ECONOMY MORE EVERY YEAR THAN THEY CONTRIBUTE TO IT: Corporations claim profits of $2.4 trillion per year but they cost us $2.6 trillion per year in waste, subsidies and pollution. The mom and pop economy subsidizes the corporate economy. The Stock Market would disappear overnight -- there would be no "profit" -- if corporations were required to pay their true costs of production: pollution, health care, education, infrastructure, taxes.
5) THERE WERE NO GIANT AMERICAN CORPORATIONS 150 YEARS AGO: Now they dominate our nation and have overrun the globe.
6) TEN LARGE CORPORATIONS CONTROL 90% OF AMERICAN MEDIA: TV, radio, publishing. How can we claim we have free speech, if we can't get to the mike to claim it.
7) A TYPICAL AMERICAN CHILD SEES 350,000 COMMERCIALS BY AGE 18
8) CORPORATE SOVEREIGNTY LIMITS THE CHOICES OF THE MARKET PLACE: We do not enjoy "Free Trade" or live in a "Free Market". We toil under Corporatism not Capitalism. Corporations squash competition -- not encourage it -- as the capitalist market would require. Corporations seek government handouts with one hand while they bribe politicians for lower taxes with the other. Corporate Socialism. An unholy alliance between business and government. When we allow giant corporations to refuse to pay their full costs of production we are legalizing the theft of our resources. Worse, we're not even being given a choice in the matter. New thinking, new ideas, new products cannot make it onto the retailers' shelves unless they are put there by corporations. Family farms and family businesses have gone the way of the buffalo. We've been brainwashed to think that if corporations don't market it, it must not be good. That's bad thinking.
9) CORPORATIONS HAVE NO SOUL: They are unable to "feel" anything. They have no conscience. They are incapable of connecting thoughts with actions. They are shoving Socialist-style, planned economies down our throats and calling it "Free Trade". They overwhelm media with the Religion of Profit and call it "Free Speech". They buy and sell our politicians and call it "Democracy". We do not live in a democracy with free speech and free trade. We live under Corporatism. Corporate Socialism. We live in a Corporate Cult.
10) CORPORATIONS ARE CULTS: They are secretive organizations dedicated to making money and gaining political power at any cost. They conceal their holdings and their operating procedures from public scrutiny. They brainwash their employees and their customers to gain compliance. They control our behavior, thoughts, information and emotions.
BEWARE THE CORPORATE CULT