- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Thom Hartmann
Saturday, Nov. 09, 2002 at 2:05 PM
Thom Hartmann will be giving a talk on his new book at The Bodhi Tree, Nov 23, 3p.
His new book UNEQUAL PROTECTION: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights (Rodale/October 2002) is an in-depth look into how corporations have hijacked democracy.
UNEQUAL PROTECTION: the Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights by Thom Hartmann (The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight) is different from the thundering herds of “it’s all corporate criminals” or “corporation shouldn’t be person” or “Bush wants a war to divert attention from his failures” books because:
1. The problem is not corporate crime or corporate criminals. It’s that corporations have stolen powers the Founders of this nation fought the Revolutionary War to withhold from them.
2. It’s not that the Supreme Court granted corporations human rights in 1886, like they teach in law school. It didn’t. It explicitly didn’t. Human rights were stolen by corporations through corrupting a man named J.C. Bancroft Davis, the court reporter of the Supreme Court—a crime exposed to the general public for the first time in this book.
3. The whole Iraq/war issue does, of course, keep the nation’s attention off the Bush administrations failures and crimes. And the most recent documents coming out of this administration seem to propose a Pax Americana much like the British Empire in the 1700s and the Roman Empire 2200 years ago. But, this time, something is very, very different. This empire will not be ruled by a king or a sovereign. It won’t even be ruled by a nation (although a nation - the US - will front for it). It will be ruled by a small handful of multinational corporations, who are already, in aggregate, more powerful than any nation on earth.
4. Thom and the book UNEQUAL PROTECTION also suggest specific, grass-roots-driven actions that can derail this theft of human rights and lust for empire now. It’s still possible to turn the tide.
Thom Hartmann’s new book UNEQUAL PROTECTION: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights (Rodale/October 2002) is an in-depth look into how corporations have hijacked democracy. Hartmann tracks the history of the modern corporation back to the founding of the East India Company in 1600, and the subsequent Boston Tea Party revolt against corporate dominance, through the 1886 Supreme Court case that erroneously led to corporate personhood and to what he calls the theft of human rights. UNEQUAL PROTECTION then offers specific actions that can be taken by citizens, courts, legislatures, and local communities, and tells the stories of how citizens across the country are already acting to take back democracy of, by, and for the people.
Report this post as:
Marshall Tuck’s racist dog whistle
Marshall Tuck’s ethnocentrism contradicts Californian values
Debunking Some Anti-Prop 10 Propaganda
Why Should California Choose De Leon Over Feinstein?
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
More Local News...
USDA Withholds Names Of Turkey Companies Spreading Salmonella
Hebron, Ben-Gurion, and UNESCO
What Can Destroy Enclosure?
Please Help Mississippians Vote For Mike Espy On Nov 27th
The Incredible & Brilliant Work of Dr TOMO SHIBATA
October 2018 Honduras Coup update
Profit de guerre, guerre de profit
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen Heads to Seattle
Paraphysique du prodrome oukase
President Trump: Hurricane Relief Should not Pay Puerto Rico Debt
94 Of Rick Scott's, Brian Kemp's, the Mississippi GOP's & Other Republican Campaign Crime
30 Of Brian Kemp's Felonious Racist Vote Suppression Crimes
Help translation of From Islam To Womanism book on IndieGoGo
COP 21, 25, 32, de l'écocide organisé
fbi & fmj are ' Lord of the Flies '
Parangon d'une grande infestation
Video: Beautiful Country Burn Again, 39 min
OBAMA WERE POW'S LEFTBEHIND IN AFGHANISTAN IRAQ AND LIBYA
OBAMA WERE POWS LEFT BEHIND IN AFGAHNISTAN IRAQ AND LIBYA
DID BARACK OBAMA LEAVE POWS BEHIND IN AFGAHNISTAN IRAQ AND LIBYA
DID BARACK OBAMA LEAVE POWS BEHIND IN AFGHANISTAN IRAQ AND LIBYA
Paraphysique de l'Etat d'urgence
Republican Vote Fraud Reached A New Level In Midterms
Texas Finally Ousts Culberson!
Israel Quit UNESCO, Um-Shmum, Make Ben-Gurion Proud!
Mafia City Hack Mod Generator - Generate 15.000 Gold
Ronald L. Havner & The Sleazy Corporate Whores @PublicStorage RAPED ME!
More Breaking News...