- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Thom Hartmann
Saturday, Nov. 09, 2002 at 2:05 PM
Thom Hartmann will be giving a talk on his new book at The Bodhi Tree, Nov 23, 3p.
His new book UNEQUAL PROTECTION: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights (Rodale/October 2002) is an in-depth look into how corporations have hijacked democracy.
UNEQUAL PROTECTION: the Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights by Thom Hartmann (The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight) is different from the thundering herds of “it’s all corporate criminals” or “corporation shouldn’t be person” or “Bush wants a war to divert attention from his failures” books because:
1. The problem is not corporate crime or corporate criminals. It’s that corporations have stolen powers the Founders of this nation fought the Revolutionary War to withhold from them.
2. It’s not that the Supreme Court granted corporations human rights in 1886, like they teach in law school. It didn’t. It explicitly didn’t. Human rights were stolen by corporations through corrupting a man named J.C. Bancroft Davis, the court reporter of the Supreme Court—a crime exposed to the general public for the first time in this book.
3. The whole Iraq/war issue does, of course, keep the nation’s attention off the Bush administrations failures and crimes. And the most recent documents coming out of this administration seem to propose a Pax Americana much like the British Empire in the 1700s and the Roman Empire 2200 years ago. But, this time, something is very, very different. This empire will not be ruled by a king or a sovereign. It won’t even be ruled by a nation (although a nation - the US - will front for it). It will be ruled by a small handful of multinational corporations, who are already, in aggregate, more powerful than any nation on earth.
4. Thom and the book UNEQUAL PROTECTION also suggest specific, grass-roots-driven actions that can derail this theft of human rights and lust for empire now. It’s still possible to turn the tide.
Thom Hartmann’s new book UNEQUAL PROTECTION: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights (Rodale/October 2002) is an in-depth look into how corporations have hijacked democracy. Hartmann tracks the history of the modern corporation back to the founding of the East India Company in 1600, and the subsequent Boston Tea Party revolt against corporate dominance, through the 1886 Supreme Court case that erroneously led to corporate personhood and to what he calls the theft of human rights. UNEQUAL PROTECTION then offers specific actions that can be taken by citizens, courts, legislatures, and local communities, and tells the stories of how citizens across the country are already acting to take back democracy of, by, and for the people.
Report this post as:
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
More Local News...
OUR HOUSE Grief Support Center Celebrates 25 Years with the House of Hope Gala
Against the Rent Madness and For a Nonprofit Orientation!
Cybermonde, cyberguerre, cyberespace, cyberterrorisme
Paraphysique de psychosomatique
Chuck Grassley: Women Abusing, Animal Murdering, Illegal War Supporting Criminal
Finance Capitalism and the Digital Economy
Muselières syndicales, muselières patronales
Jeff Bezos, Amazon, The Washington Post, Whole Foods, Etc
Why Choose Nut Milk Over Cows' Milk
Antrhopocène, le grand effondrement
The Dictatorship of Corporations
18 Lethal Consequences Of Hunting
Paraphysique de l'outplacement déontologue
Shopping du bashing
After Lehman Brothers, Experts Say Global Financial Crisis Can Happen Again
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen
Probabilités de fin d'humanité
Florida Area of Migrant Farmworkers Denied Right to Construct Health Clinic near NaplesCIW
Steer clear of work morality!
The Shortwave Report 09/07/18 Listen Globally!
August 2018 Honduras Coup update
Brett Kavanaugh Filled The 5th Circuit With Execution Judges
Augusta Georgia Woman Gets 5 Year Prison Sentence for Writing About Russians Crime Acts
Paraphysique de contextualité
Crisis Regulation in Global Capitalism
Ex-voto de réification
Please Oppose Warmonger, Execution and Torture Supporting Bush Operative Brett Kavanaugh
More Breaking News...