- Roundup of the day
- 11.30pm: All but three of the 150-odd protesters arrested today have been released. The figure includes 120 people that were held earlier this evening during a protest in solidarity with those arrested in today's d14 demostrations. Photo reports:1 | 2
- 7.25pm: Unconfirmed reports of police activity around IMC and Cinema Nova buildings.
- 5.15pm: The situation is now calmer in and around the Convergence centre. Police are still keeping the centre cordoned off and are only letting people out in small groups. An imc-uk reporter confirms that the people trapped inside the centre are keeping their spirits high with the help of a sound-system. It is still unclear what the final outcome of this situation is - and whether people will be able to stay overnight.
- 4.00pm: Several thousand people are still inside the Convergence centre. Police have now put up cordons around the centre, trapping people inside. Press are not allowed in, and people inside are allowed to leave in small groups only after being searched. Rhythms of Resistance report.
- 3.20pm: Police are now using water cannons to attack people inside the Convergence centre area. Baton charges are continuing against people in the streets around it. The atmosphere is getting increasingly tense, and fears of heavy police repression are mounting.
- 2.35pm: Police charges into Tour et Taxis.
- 2.15pm: The D14 international demonstration has now arrived back to the Convergence centre where it started to disperse. Police are now present in force, armed with tear-gas, water cannons anad other riot gear. Several thousand people at the end of the march are currently being surrounded by the police, who are cutting off the streets around the Convergence centre. Fears of a police attack are mounting.
- 1.00pm: The international demonstration for "Another Europe and Another World" from Brussels to Laeken is under way. Around 25.000 people are marching in a carnival athmosphere. Several sound-systems and samba bands are present in the march. Reports that some property destruction has occured but police presence is very low-key at the moment.
D14 photo report: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |