The Progressive Los Angeles Network's 21 Point Agenda (Summary Version)
Social and Economic Justice o Livability o Democracy
The Progressive Los Angeles Network (PLAN) is a new alliance that brings progressive organizers, activists, researchers, and policy practitioners together across issues, constituencies, geography, class, race and gender to forge a common public policy agenda for the Los Angeles region. Hundreds of PLAN participants have met over the past year to develop action plans on issues ranging from transportation, the urban environment, and food and nutrition, to economic development, housing, and workers' rights. This 21 Point Agenda provides a list of priority actions that the City of Los Angeles should take to make LA a more just, livable, and democratic place.
The following summary list contains just the first sentence of each agenda point. It's intended to provide a quick sense of the scope of the issues addressed, and to encourage you to visit PLAN's website and read the full text, which you can do by clicking on the link at the bottom.
1. Ensure public investment yields quality jobs and community benefits.
2. Gear job training towards quality jobs.
3. Consolidate all economic development functions.
4. Increase urban parks and clean up contaminated brownfields.
5. Inventory toxic health risks, and reduce pesticide use.
6. Promote clean fuel vehicles and green energy.
7. Institute a Livable City Plan.
8. Boost the Housing Trust Fund.
9. Require developers to build affordable housing units in all new residential developments.
10. Crack down on slum landlords.
11. Attract food markets, farmers' markets and community gardens to under served neighborhoods.
12. Launch an annual report, plan of action, and policy council on food, hunger, and nutrition.
13. Improve public transit.
14. Promote safe, walkable and bikeable neighborhoods.
15. Promote smart growth land use.
16. Promote workers' rights to organize.
17. Strengthen protections for low-wage workers.
18. Strengthen public sector union job opportunities.
19. Institute a health care fund or purchasing pool for employers.
20. Promote increased electoral participation.
21. Ensure full participation on commissions and neighborhood councils.
For the full-text version of PLAN's 21 Point Agenda, click on the link below.