- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Center for Justice & Democracy
Thursday, Nov. 02, 2000 at 1:38 PM
Joanne Doroshow - (212) 267-2801
An action alert about the corporate take-over of the U.S. judicial system and campaign finance laws during this campaign season. Parallels info heard on Democracy Now! today.
STOP THE U.S. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE ADVERTISING BLITZ
An unprecedented million election-year advertising blitz by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is wreaking havoc with the U.S. judicial system and campaign finance laws. For the first time, the Chamber is funding negative attack ads against judicial candidates and candidates for Attorney General. Jim Wootten, head of the Chamber's Institute for Legal Reform, says the group may advertise in as many as seven states where, he says, "companies are plagued with frivolous lawsuits and there is a danger that courts might block tort reform." New York Times, Oct. 22, 2000.
The Washington Post also reported this week that together, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Business Roundtable and the National Federation of Independent Business are pumping close to $ 30 million into advertising and get-out-the-vote efforts in a few dozen congressional and judicial races - a dramatic increase in their spending.
Michigan is one state into which U.S. Chamber "soft money" is flowing. In addition:
* In Mississippi, the U.S. Chamber has spent 0,000 on advertising in three Supreme Court races since October. Attorney General Mike Moore and Secretary of State Eric Clark have raised questions about the Chamber's failure to file campaign finance reports which would reveal their donors and spending. The Chamber says it's done nothing wrong, saying these are "issue ads" since they do not explicitly call for the election or defeat of a candidate. The group has now filed suit to keep state officials from canceling their ads.
* The U.S. Chamber has started pumping major money into Ohio attacking Supreme Court Justice Alice Resnick. There has been a virtual flood of corporate money into this state for the purpose of ousting Resnick, who struck down as unconstitutional Ohio’s draconian 1996 “tort reform” law. The Ohio Chamber of Commerce has already spent at least .7 million on its own. The U.S. Chamber's Wootton refuses to say how much the group is spending, claiming that the ads do not advocate the election or defeat of a candidate.
* In Indiana, the U.S. Chamber is now funding attack ads against Indiana Attorney General Karen Freeman-Wilson, who has called this effort a blatant "smear campaign."
ACTION: Please contact your local chamber of commerce, media outlets and other opinion leaders. Let them know how you feel about this very disturbing development by the chamber's national office.
The Center for Justice & Democracy (formerly Citizens for Corporate Accountability and Individual Rights)—CJ&D—works to:
* Raise public awareness about the value of this nation’s civil justice system.
* Inform the public about the dangers of tort reform and the stealth corporate campaign behind it.
* Support efforts to stop and repeal tort reform laws.
Report this post as:
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
California police agencies violate Brown Act (open meetings)
Insane Company Wants To Send Nuke Plant Waste To New Mexico
Change Links May 2018
Worker-Owned Car Wash on Vermont Closed
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
More Local News...
Creative Destruction Hack Diamonds Windows/iOS/Android - Creative Destruction Generator
The Dictatorship of Corporations
18 Lethal Consequences Of Hunting
Paraphysique de l'outplacement déontologue
Creative Destruction Hack Mod Generator
Shopping du bashing
After Lehman Brothers, Experts Say Global Financial Crisis Can Happen Again
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen
Probabilités de fin d'humanité
Florida Area of Migrant Farmworkers Denied Right to Construct Health Clinic near NaplesCIW
Propagande de virus, virus de propagande
Steer clear of work morality!
Sweatshop Lodge Ceremony Continues in US Fed Prisons Led by Inmates
Paraphysique de l'origami
The Shortwave Report 09/07/18 Listen Globally!
August 2018 Honduras Coup update
Du réussissement putréfié
Brett Kavanaugh Filled The 5th Circuit With Execution Judges
Augusta Georgia Woman Gets 5 Year Prison Sentence for Writing About Russians Crime Acts
Paraphysique de contextualité
Crisis Regulation in Global Capitalism
Ex-voto de réification
Please Oppose Warmonger, Execution and Torture Supporting Bush Operative Brett Kavanaugh
Paraphysique d'exploitation occultation
Ryan Zinke Is Charging Taxpayers For A Trophy Hunters' Council
Is the Financial Crash 2.0 Coming?
More Breaking News...