- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Center for Justice & Democracy
Thursday, Nov. 02, 2000 at 1:38 PM
Joanne Doroshow - (212) 267-2801
An action alert about the corporate take-over of the U.S. judicial system and campaign finance laws during this campaign season. Parallels info heard on Democracy Now! today.
STOP THE U.S. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE ADVERTISING BLITZ
An unprecedented million election-year advertising blitz by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is wreaking havoc with the U.S. judicial system and campaign finance laws. For the first time, the Chamber is funding negative attack ads against judicial candidates and candidates for Attorney General. Jim Wootten, head of the Chamber's Institute for Legal Reform, says the group may advertise in as many as seven states where, he says, "companies are plagued with frivolous lawsuits and there is a danger that courts might block tort reform." New York Times, Oct. 22, 2000.
The Washington Post also reported this week that together, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Business Roundtable and the National Federation of Independent Business are pumping close to $ 30 million into advertising and get-out-the-vote efforts in a few dozen congressional and judicial races - a dramatic increase in their spending.
Michigan is one state into which U.S. Chamber "soft money" is flowing. In addition:
* In Mississippi, the U.S. Chamber has spent 0,000 on advertising in three Supreme Court races since October. Attorney General Mike Moore and Secretary of State Eric Clark have raised questions about the Chamber's failure to file campaign finance reports which would reveal their donors and spending. The Chamber says it's done nothing wrong, saying these are "issue ads" since they do not explicitly call for the election or defeat of a candidate. The group has now filed suit to keep state officials from canceling their ads.
* The U.S. Chamber has started pumping major money into Ohio attacking Supreme Court Justice Alice Resnick. There has been a virtual flood of corporate money into this state for the purpose of ousting Resnick, who struck down as unconstitutional Ohio’s draconian 1996 “tort reform” law. The Ohio Chamber of Commerce has already spent at least .7 million on its own. The U.S. Chamber's Wootton refuses to say how much the group is spending, claiming that the ads do not advocate the election or defeat of a candidate.
* In Indiana, the U.S. Chamber is now funding attack ads against Indiana Attorney General Karen Freeman-Wilson, who has called this effort a blatant "smear campaign."
ACTION: Please contact your local chamber of commerce, media outlets and other opinion leaders. Let them know how you feel about this very disturbing development by the chamber's national office.
The Center for Justice & Democracy (formerly Citizens for Corporate Accountability and Individual Rights)—CJ&D—works to:
* Raise public awareness about the value of this nation’s civil justice system.
* Inform the public about the dangers of tort reform and the stealth corporate campaign behind it.
* Support efforts to stop and repeal tort reform laws.
Report this post as:
Marshall Tuck’s racist dog whistle
Marshall Tuck’s ethnocentrism contradicts Californian values
Debunking Some Anti-Prop 10 Propaganda
Why Should California Choose De Leon Over Feinstein?
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
Summer 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Watch the Debate: Excluded Candidates for Governor of California
Change Links June 2018 posted
The Montrose Peace Vigil at 12 Years
Unity Archive Project
Dianne Feinstein's Promotion of War, Secret Animal Abuse, Military Profiteering, Censorshi
CA Senate Bill 1303 would require an independent coroner rather than being part of police
Three years after OC snitch scandal, no charges filed against sheriffs deputies
More Local News...
Please Help Mississippians Vote For Mike Espy On Nov 27th
The Incredible & Brilliant Work of Dr TOMO SHIBATA
October 2018 Honduras Coup update
Profit de guerre, guerre de profit
“Animaniacs in Concert!” Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen Heads to Seattle
Paraphysique du prodrome oukase
President Trump: Hurricane Relief Should not Pay Puerto Rico Debt
94 Of Rick Scott's, Brian Kemp's, the Mississippi GOP's & Other Republican Campaign Crime
30 Of Brian Kemp's Felonious Racist Vote Suppression Crimes
Help translation of From Islam To Womanism book on IndieGoGo
COP 21, 25, 32, de l'écocide organisé
fbi & fmj are ' Lord of the Flies '
Parangon d'une grande infestation
Video: Beautiful Country Burn Again, 39 min
OBAMA WERE POW'S LEFTBEHIND IN AFGHANISTAN IRAQ AND LIBYA
OBAMA WERE POWS LEFT BEHIND IN AFGAHNISTAN IRAQ AND LIBYA
DID BARACK OBAMA LEAVE POWS BEHIND IN AFGAHNISTAN IRAQ AND LIBYA
DID BARACK OBAMA LEAVE POWS BEHIND IN AFGHANISTAN IRAQ AND LIBYA
Paraphysique de l'Etat d'urgence
Republican Vote Fraud Reached A New Level In Midterms
Texas Finally Ousts Culberson!
Israel Quit UNESCO, Um-Shmum, Make Ben-Gurion Proud!
Mafia City Hack Mod Generator - Generate 15.000 Gold
Ronald L. Havner & The Sleazy Corporate Whores @PublicStorage RAPED ME!
Trumponomics and Wall Street Rejoices
8 GOP Candidates For Governor Want Executions To Continue In Their States
Paraphysique de l'hybris pirocratie
More Breaking News...