- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
by Rick Stahlhut
Thursday, Aug. 17, 2000 at 5:35 PM
email@example.com 616/373-4149 Kalamazoo MI
We should use the power we've developed and the large numbers who signed Nader's petitions in EVERY state, and create a HUGE HUGE presence to force the Debate Commission to put Nader in.
Before we know it, LA will be over, and the question will be: what next?
Llet's get Nader into the debates using our numbers to force the debate commission to admit their duplicity in keeping him out. I don't mean 20,000 people showing up at the debates in Boston or elsewhere--I mean 150,000. And it think it can be done. The combination of organizing for the protests, plus the massive petition campaigns for Nader in each state, make this a key moment in history for developing pressure to improve the electoral system.
Several reasons why this would be good:
1. It's something most protesters agree is a good thing
2. It targets a real, immediate threat to democracy--the closing of the debates. In 1996, you only had to register 5% in the polls to make the debates. Ventura only had 10% in Minnesota before his debates. Now Ralph has more than 5%--the threshold has been changed to 15%.
3. It sends a clear, single message that the media will find harder to distort
4. We can broaden the coalition. In Michigan, for example, over 50,000 people signed the petitions to get Nader on the ballot.
Now, I don't pretend to know the appropriate tactics. Planning direct actions could get you arrested for "conspiracy to commit democracy". But I'd start by getting our evil leaders to leave their communist/anarchist lairs in Russia and meet with the evil anti-corporate Nader leaders in each state. Nicaragua and Cuba could provide funding for travel and meals. Satanists could be recruited for cruel sacrificial rituals.
OK--seriously folks. I'd suggest this:
1. Movement thought leaders and others contact Greens in each state
2. Massive phone banking to hit signers of petitions to get Nader on ballot--invite them to go to debate cities at appropriate times, with signs.
3. DA is totally optional (maybe not even planned). If you have 150,000 people in a small area, you are shutting the place down by definition. This may encourage more mild-mannered Greens to come.
4. ASSUME THEY WILL MOVE THE DEBATES AT THE LAST MINUTE to escape us. So try driving, not airlines, to get there so you don't waste your money. This may require alerting Greens country-wide so the group can assemble wherever, whenever.
Oh, and one other idea, actually suggested by a rather official looking person monitoring the Philly protests (which shows they aren't all bad)--
"Next time, wear suits."
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 16 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
|Even if you're not a Green!
||Thursday, Aug. 17, 2000 at 5:51 PM
|Way out of proportion.
||Thursday, Aug. 17, 2000 at 6:19 PM
|how to get more people to debate
||no cool web name
||Thursday, Aug. 17, 2000 at 6:45 PM
|"Union Buster Nader" not true
||Thursday, Aug. 17, 2000 at 7:08 PM
|Use Gorilla Ontology
||Franklins Tower Web Radio
||Thursday, Aug. 17, 2000 at 8:21 PM
|October 3: Bedlam In Boston?
||Thursday, Aug. 17, 2000 at 8:23 PM
|Nadar is anti-coorporate but not anti-capitol
||Thursday, Aug. 17, 2000 at 8:38 PM
|DON'T DO POLITICS? THEN POLITICS WILL DO YOU
||Friday, Aug. 18, 2000 at 1:41 AM
|Streets AND Nader is the way to go
||Saturday, Aug. 19, 2000 at 4:01 PM
||Saturday, Aug. 19, 2000 at 8:20 PM
|Next time, wear suits
||Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2000 at 1:27 AM
|Hempfest for all
||Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2000 at 2:28 PM
|Supporting Nader and voting for Gore?
||Thursday, Aug. 24, 2000 at 10:21 PM
|Crawl before walking
||Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2000 at 1:49 PM
|Vote Your Hopes Not Your Fears
||Thursday, Aug. 31, 2000 at 9:06 AM
|Not Yet Decided on Capital
||Avery Ray Colter
||Monday, Sep. 04, 2000 at 3:25 AM
Woolsey Fire: Worst News of 2018?
Oppose Environmentally-Harmful Development
Oppose Environmentally-Harmful Development
OUR HOUSE Grief Support Center Presents Night for Hope
Marshall Tuck’s racist dog whistle
Marshall Tuck’s ethnocentrism contradicts Californian values
Debunking Some Anti-Prop 10 Propaganda
Why Should California Choose De Leon Over Feinstein?
Change Links September 2018 posted
More Scandals Rock Southern California Nuke Plant San Onofre
Site Outage Friday
Change Links August 2018
Setback for Developer of SC Farm Land
More problems at Shutdown San Onofre Nuke
Change Links 2018 July posted
More Pix: "Families Belong Together," Pasadena
"Families Belong Together" March, Pasadena
Short Report on the Families Belong Together Protest in Los Angeles
More Local News...
Paraphysique du burnout post-démocratique
911 : establishment terror
Actor Patrick Kilpatrick Discusses and Signs his New Book Dying for Living
The Attack of Corporations and the Rich on the Rest of Society
VAN ATTACK HOAX
Mobile Royale Hack Online Generator - Get Unlimited Crystals
Unification, séparation et fragmentation
FAKE NEWS POR SOROS
Chemtrails and Prince
Wages For Housework
A Mistake: Jesse Jackson-Toyota deal-in Lexington -Ky is .8 billion over 10 years 2018
If Trump Declares a AantionalEmergency, He'll Be Breaking the Law
Jesse Jackson's Sneak Attck on Toyota Lexington Ky and it's workers 2018
Video: Chris Herdges in Eugene, 1 hr 24 min
Judge Delays Ruling on Puerto Rico Debt Deal White House Opposes Island's Food Assistance
Paraphysique de proxémie guerrière
DEAD MAN LIVING
More Breaking News...