FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
SOCIAL JUSTICE FILM SCREENING AT DREW CDC BACK2SCHOOL EVENT SATURDAY AUGUST 12, 2017 AT 1PM IN LOS ANGELES
The Drew Child Development Corporation is hosting a free screening of ?WALKING WHILE BLACK: L.O.V.E. Is The Answer,\" the award-winning documentary film bridging the gap between police and the communities they serve. Hundreds of students, parents, and faculty from Los Angeles area high schools along with members of local Los Angeles law enforcement agencies are expected to attend. This important and timely film is being praised by social justice leaders as well as law enforcement leaders throughout the nation. The screening will be followed by a Q&A featuring a special panel comprised of local law enforcement, community leaders, and representatives from the film ?WALKING WHILE BLACK: L.O.V.E. Is The Answer.\"
Event Start: 1:00pm
Location: The Keck Lecture Hall (on the campus of Charles Drew University)
1731 E. 120th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90059
* We released the film February 1and have had successful screenings in more than a dozen markets, including winning ?Best Documentary Film? and ?Audience Favorite? at the Garifuna International Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA on May 26th. Also in May, Director/Producer AJ Ali was recognized for his work on the film with a Platinum Award for Contributions to the Community through Arts & Entertainment by the NAACP in Howard County, MD.
* Screenings have been hosted by Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh, Congressman Elijah Cummings and the National Organization of Retired State Troopers ? with ongoing efforts in progress with all of them.
* Current Film Schedule Highlights: The film was seen by over 500 students at UCLA earlier this month. The film will be shown at the Congressional Black Caucus national conference this September in Washington D.C., with Congressman Cummings as the Host. Many more screenings of the film are currently being scheduled all across the United States.
* The L.O.V.E. Is The Answer book, to accompany the film and provide additional material for workshops, classes and training, will be published in the Fall of 2017. The book will feature contributions of chapters from approximately 30 social justice experts.
* A 50-state, 100-city, 120-event L.O.V.E. Is The Answer Conference series begins October 21, 2017 in Syracuse, NY (https://lovesyracuse.eventbrite.com) and runs through the end of 2018.
We have created action items to go along with the film ? ways that people can put L.O.V.E. into action in their community:
* A L.O.V.E. Is The Answer 5-Minute Film Contest, pairing teens with police to make short films showing L.O.V.E. in action in their community, runs through December 31, 2017. Register a team at https://5minutefilms.eventbrite.com. See the KTLA 5 TV news report on the launch of our film contest: http://ktla.com/2017/06/27/documentary-project-challenges-teens-to-take-improving-police-relations-into-their-own-hands/
* We have created the #RideAlongChallenge. As an action step to get people to learn about the police and for police to learn more about the citizens they serve, we are challenging people to go on ride-alongs with their local peace officers, share their experiences on social media including #RideAlongChallenge and #LOVEIsTheAnswerMovement in their writing, and challenge 10 of their friends to do the same.
See the media kit, trailer, select clips, reviews, licensing info and more at www.walkingwhileblackthemovie.com.
Peace & L.O.V.E.,
Director & Producer
?WALKING WHILE BLACK: L.O.V.E. Is The Answer\" documentary film
323-577-5976 | 443-463-5009
SEE THE FILM NOW at www.walkingwhileblackthemovie.com
JOIN THE MOVEMENT at www.loveistheanswermovement.com