Politically motivated airport harassment/paranoia escalates

by Michael Novick Monday, Feb. 11, 2002 at 6:53 AM
michael novick

Anti-racist activist of Indian descent removed from plane, interrogated by FBI

Vik Chaubey, an associate of mine for a number of years

in People Against Racist Terror (PART) divides his

time between LA (where his folks live) and NYS (where he

attends graduate school). He is of "East" Indian descent,

has worked with DRUM (a south Asian organization in NY)

as well as with PART and in the prison rights movement

here in southern California.

He was heading back to NY this week to return to graduate

school upstate and continue his graduate studies, when

he got pulled from his flight and was forced to undergo

several hours of interrogation -- at gunpoint -- by the

FBI, Long Beach cops, and security for JetBlue Airlines

which has inexpensive flights from the Long Beach airport

to the east coast. Here is his account of the outrageous

treatment he received before finally being released and

allowed to fly back to NY (on other airlines by a very

circuitous route).