Downtown "community" meeting

by Jake Sexton (from LA IMC list) Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2001 at 5:46 PM

The NewDowntown.com is a website for a group that wants to "revitalize downtown Los Angeles." They are calling for a community meeting of " "activists"

"NewDowntown.com" is a website for a group that wants to "revitalize

downtown Los Angeles." Near as I can figure, it's a group that wants to

gentrify the area. I've been monitoring their mailing list for a couple

months now, waiting to see if an agenda rears its ugly head. This is really

the first email I've seen that approaches that.

Note the "steering committe" of the group. Marie Condron, the founder of a

snotty online gifts store (supplycurve.com) who dreams of getting involved

in "international development"

(http://www.gwu.edu/~elliott/news/briefing/spring2001/p4a.cfm), Ian Trivers,

another supplycurve.com employee, Celia Esguerra, PR exec (awestruck.com)

who does PR for supplycurve.com, Laura Esguerra, webmaster for Sen. Barbara

Boxer (and possibly sister of Celia?), and JB Wiggins (can't find any

information on him). Pretty representative of downtown LA, wouldn't you

say?

Note that they are holding a meeting for "Activists" September 5 (their

quotes, not mine). They want to examine serious problems like street

cleaning and treebox planting.

I don't know if this is a group that we should be worried about, or if they

are just playing at being influential by forming committees and things.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, I don't know.

Jake.