- js reader version
- email this article
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
View article without comments
by Rudolf Hickel
Wednesday, Apr. 19, 2017 at 7:37 AM
Macro-economic and ecological connections are simply ignored with the concentration on short-term profit. The planned reduction of corporate taxes from the current 35% to 15 or 20% recalls the Laffer-curve as the basis of Reagan's fiscal policy error.
TRUMPONOMICS – FAILURE IS PRE-PROGRAMMED
By Rudolf Hickel
[This article published in March 2017 is translated from the German on the Internet. Rudolf Hickel is a critical economist with the Bremen study group Alternative Economic Policy.]
Donald Trump’s election was based on the political instrumentalization of socioeconomic fears of those who fell from the middle class in the US through job losses and changing to precarious work. Paul Krugman speaks of the falling “white working class.” The desolation of once flourishing industrial districts (“Rust Belt”) symbolizes the regional economic collapse. Trump also found support in the rural population uncoupled from the modernization process. Trump manipulated these reality-based anxieties with the claim that local jobs were ousted by the export-surpluses of Germany and China and “stolen” by the shifting to foreign countries. With many untruths and distortions, Trump succeeded in being identified as the “rescuer” by vast numbers of economic losers. Hatred for the “Washington Establishment” who covered up the social truth with their often lying “political correctness” also helped him.
With his basic decisions and his proposed 2018 budget, the question is raised whether the new policy will benefit those in rural areas who voted for him expecting to be free from poverty work and social descent. The following double judgment seems likely if his policy initiated with drumbeats is not retracted:
Firstly, those who expected from him an improvement of their situation will not see anything positive in his policy. Yes, the Trumpian policy will worsen their job chances and social situation. They were merely instrumentalized as a herd of voters. The winners are the owners of assets and the super-rich.
Secondly, the trade policy, financial policy and regulatory policy under the strategic goal “America First” will end in a weakening of the US. In addition, a setback can be expected in the inadequate multilateral projects arduously built over decades (WTO, IMF, World Bank and the UN).
The instruments of the most important policy fields are erroneously set up and made confused, contradictory and opportunistic by economic lobbyists in the Trump cabinet:
• The screening by protectionism with tariffs and a border-equalizing tax up to 20% on imports in the US will weaken international competitiveness through meager innovative pressure.
• The planned deregulation of the financial sector disciplined with the Dodd-Frank Act as an answer to the mega-financial crisis of 2007 makes probably a new collapse of the financial system with effects all over the world. Abolition of stress tests, prohibition of speculative investment banking and resolution procedures for transgressing banks (“living wills”) are at the center.
• The planned reduction of corporate taxes by the central state from the current 35% to 15% or 20% recalls the Laffer-curve as the basis of Reagan’s fiscal policy error. Additional investments of businesses should not be expected. Pressure on the state budget will increase through tax shortfalls. The division between rich and poor will intensify.
• Trump’s proposal for his first budget provides an increase of military spending (from $521.9 to $574 billion, ten percent) and Homeland Security (seven percent). Veterans whose budget will rise six percent to $78.9 billion are among the winners.
• Financing the $1 trillion public infrastructure spending for transportation, streets, bridges, schools and public buildings announced in the election campaign is unclear as in the past.
• Social policy only occurs in the form of planned cuts of measures gained through struggle. Housing with subsidized rents is cut twelve percent. Experts expect the loss of social housing and allowances for millions of citizens. Spending on health will be reduced 16% through the planned reduction of Obamacare. Altogether 52 million citizens will be uninsured with its complete abolition. Only 28 million were uninsured under Obamacare.
• On one side, ecologically-threatening oil production projects will be resumed according to the government motto “Climate catastrophe is impossible.” On the other side, federal environmental spending will be cut enormously. The US will withdraw completely and financially from the international climate change initiatives (also from the climate fund of the “Paris Agreement on Climate Protection”).
Apart from a terrible incompetence in the consultation environment of Donald Trump, these proposals are based on fallacies and a reality distorted counterfactually. Macro-economic and ecological connections are simply ignored with the concentration on short-term profit-seeking. The government ideology of the US follows the shady business model of the former real estate tycoon Trump. The daily stock prices of US corporations are the focus. The necessary social and ecological sustainability does not have a chance.
Trump already claims success for his policy. Fake News per Tweet also dominates here. The stock exchanges blind for future developments and the politically-cuddled big banks count for the short-term profiteers. The strengthened economic growth and declining unemployment are the fruits of the earlier Obama policy. The inflation that the Federal Reserve announced with the first interest rate increase under Trump is now critical. If the expected continuing upgrading of the dollar occurs, the protectionist trade policy will break down through the inexpensive imports in the US.
The economic-, financial- and social policy demonstrates unmistakably that those who voted for Trump hoping for better working- and living conditions belong to the losers unlike the big shots of the financial industry and the US multinationals. If this knowledge torments the instrumentalized, then Trumponomics could break down politically as well as economically.
Report this post as:
Thursday, Apr. 27, 2017 at 7:28 AM
`The Simpsons' on Trump's First 100 Days: Death and Prozac https://youtu.be/Qo3fT0xPeHs?t=95
Everyone else is weighing in on President Donald Trump’s first hundred days — why not The Simpsons? In a new clip, we see what’s going on in the White House, and the Simpsons‘ writers are pretty grim. Press secretary Sean Spicer has hung himself from a noose with a sign on his corpse saying, “I quit.” Jared Kushner and Steve Bannon are squeezing each other’s throats the way Homer usually throttles Bart. Ivanka Trump has replaced Ruth Bader Ginsberg on the Supreme Court.
Meanwhile, the President sits in bed, fingering his smart-phone, books scattered across his blanket. (Among them, Bill O’Reilly’s apparent latest: Killing a Good Thing.) An aide brings him a print copy of a thick new tax bill proposal and tells the President he needs to read it immediately. Trump whines, “Can’t Fox News read it, and I’ll watch what they say?” (Prediction: Look for this clip to turn up on Fox and Friends in the morning.)
Report this post as:
Segregation in the City of Angels: A 1939 Map of Housing Inequality in L.A.
Justice Dept. seeking info, IDs on 1.3M visitors to protest website DisruptJ20.org
San Francisco Rally Protests Hate Crimes in Charlottesville
New Google algorithm restricts access to left-wing, progressive web sites
Tracking Twenty Years of Stockton Killings by Law Enforcement
Garcetti Cronyism - Why and How to Ignore Your LA Dog License
Nation's Worst Meltdown Was In LA
As RV towing resumes in LA, officials say program won't 'target homeless'
Class War on the Waterfront: Longshore Workers Under Attack
Limits to Growth Published Forty Years Ago
KPFK's Indy Media on Air Now on Wednesdays
Lessons From Portland’s Clashes With Fascists
Dr. Maryse Narcisse of Haiti Visits Southern California
May Day March in Riverside
Nuclear Shutdown News: April 2017
Jewish “Defense” League: Nazis in Skull-caps
Nuke Shutdown News 3/17
More Local News...
Hurricane Maria Slams Dominica and Heads Towards Puerto Rico
Paraphysique de l'orthopraxie
Reem’s Cafe Owner Has a First Amendment Problem
Evidence of USA Murderous Decadence &Threat to Civilization
The World at Risk under Trump
Fbi are human monsters
August 2017 Honduras coup update
Perpetrators of atrocities are employed by or associated with fbi
Mr. President ...
Nicaraguas fake Communist Gov. Forcing Canal on Southern Portion of Country No MoneyHealth
Allied Efforts in WW2@ Shortened Length of Time Nazi Party Terrorized Western Theater
Identity TRheft Rings Hurting all Classes Races and Types in USA Identity Sytems
Celebrate California Safe Schools
Revolutionary Internationalist Youth Founded
Dura lex, sed lex
Our sick government & populace
After the Hurricanes
La misarchie ou l'harmonie holiste
La lisarchie ou l'harmonie holiste
The Shortwave Report 09/15/17 Listen Globally!
Caribbean Bishops and Development Groups Urge Debt Relief for Irma-Struck Islands
Fbi is cyber criminal supreme
Fbi engages in crime spree authorized by fbi
IN National and International News Teavana is Putting over 300 Stores Out of Business
FEMA Knew the Dangers to Older Citizens during Major Disasters At least six people have
Mural of convicted terrorist gives rise to free-speech clash at California bakery
Fib atrocities in many places
More Breaking News...