A very important letter I received. A very important list I send.
A big first step -- thank you
Today, I signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act into law.
This is a historic step -- the first of many as we work together to climb out of this crisis -- and I want to thank you for your resolve and your support.
You organized thousands of house meetings. You shared your ideas and personal stories. And you informed your friends and neighbors about the need for immediate action. You continue to be a powerful voice for change throughout the country.
The recovery plan will create or save 3.5 million jobs, provide tax cuts for working and middle-class families, and invest in health care and clean energy.
It's a bold plan to address a huge problem, and it will require my vigilance and yours to make sure it's done right.
I've assigned a team of managers to oversee the implementation of the recovery act. We are committed to making sure no dollar is wasted. But accountability begins with you.
That's why my administration has created Recovery.gov , a new website where citizens can track every dollar spent and every job created. We'll invite you and your neighbors to weigh in with comments and questions.
Our progress will also be measured by the tens of thousands of personal stories submitted by people who are struggling to make ends meet. If you haven't already, you can read stories from families all across the country: http://my.barackobama.com/yourstories
Your stories are the heart of this recovery plan, and that's what I'll focus on every day as President.
With your continued support, we'll emerge a stronger and more prosperous nation.
President Barack Obama
So, dear President Lula, I ask you to breathe in the example of President Barack Obama and to give us vigorous measures against the crisis that unemployes thousands of people also here.
Do follow please Governor's Requiao recipe, that's also similar to that of President Obama:
1. Exchange Control, please: it is impossible to form prices for import or export with the dollar going up and down every day
2. Huge increase in public funding: the companies that do employ more do need money to do it...
3. Huge public investments in the infrastructure works to warm the economy and create millions of jobs
So president Lula ( I ask your support, Governor Roberto Requião ), don't forget my short list, please:
1. Total priority to small farmers from the LWM in BNDS, please. You know: poor people pays straight and there is still the bought land as real guarantee.
2. Do include, please, trains and waterways in the PAG (Program of acceleration of growing).
3. Do please determine more and more decreases of interest rate: Billions and billions will
remain for everything and more. You know Union's revenues.
4. Do ensure, please, the best medical assistance and the best protection to federal policeman Protógenes and put him once again, ahead of the investigations, with all yours and our support. The honor of
Brazil is at stake, mister president.
5. Do strongly work for peace in
Palestine, mister president: That's mass murder and the seeds that are being planted there are very bitter.
6. Leonardo Boff asks an Acceleration Plan of Amazon Preservation. I do ask, please, your attention to this proposal, mister President. Details on http://rvcb.wordpress.com/2009/01/26/511/
7. Please do not allow a new wave of hidden privatizations to happen in the absence of the Executive.
8. Do save Pre-salt, Mr. President, for our children and grandchildren, please.
9. Please, Mr. President, your support for the new facilities of the port of Paranaguá, in the Ponta do Poço and do order IBAMA to stop a public hearing on the privatization of the future installation.
10. Please, Mr. President, we want to see these hundreds of billions that are still spent on excessive interest payments on public debt to be invested in job creation, so that we can overcome the crisis.
Hugs for you all,
Emilio de Lima.