- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
Tuesday, Jul. 01, 2003 at 1:54 PM
Soybeans Killing Rainforests
Nine (9) easy steps that even lefties can understand.
I'm taking so much delight in this rainforest/soybean connection that I want to explain it in as plain an English as possible, to make sure that even the stupidest leftie can understand how the Law of Unintended Consequences works.
1) Brazil has been deforesting its rainforest for years, in many cases to provide land on which to raise cattle for export to western markets.
2) Western liberals, eco-anarchists, and other environmentalist nutbags begin a campaign in the west to bring attention to the rainforest. Large sums of money are raised (still, to this day) by Sting and other entertainers.
3) After years of efforts it seems that they have made progress and the rate to deforestation is decreasing.
4) As part of an overall "think globally/act locally" strategy, many people eschew the eating of meat in favor of tofu, a product made from soybeans. Europe, which has a large Green movement, is a hotbed of conversion from consumerist to ecologically friendly lifestyles, like veganism or vegetarianism. This movement spreads to all corners of the globe, including the US.
5) Eating tofu and other soy products such as soy milk starts to enter the mainstream. Demand for soy crop rises significantly.
6) The United States sees the potential of the soybean market. Being not only a free market capitalist powerhouse, it also possess the finest biotechnology industry in the world, and genetically modifies its soybeans to produce a superior product with a greater yield.
7) The very European Green movement which was at the forefront of the consciousness-raising leading to the soybean explosion is also at the forefront of the ridiculous frankenfood junk science hysteria regarding GM food. Popular sentiment in Europe reflects the word of these lunatics, and their nations pass all sorts of regulations against GM foods, including US soybeans. US soybeans are therefore not able to fill the demands of Europe and other parts of the world.
8) Brazil, being a capitalist nation, sees the problem. The Euroweenie environmentalist lunatics want "natural" soybeans. Brazil also sees the solution, which is to grow them the way the Euroweenies want.
9) To carry out their plans they begin deforestation of the rain forest to create land on which to farm soybeans. Meanwhile, in America, perfectly edible -- nay, superior! -- GM soybeans are eaten by people without a problem.
Note to European environmentalists: When you create a market for a product like soybeans, someone is going to rise up to supply that market. In this case it was the United States, who not only supplied the market but in the process created a superior GM soybean product. You have chosen, however, to rely on voodoo, tea leaves, and modern techno-superstitions, all of which tell you that GM foods are icky and bad; thus Europe banned the use or sale of US soybean products in your countries. Fair enough. But, since Europe can't meet its own demand for soybeans (yaay, socialism!) Brazil has stepped up to the plate to make sure that you can slurp down all the delicious tofu you like. The unfortunate issue is, that to do so, Brazil is clear-cutting the rainforest.
And that, my left-wing friends, is the Law of Unintended Consequences.
Report this post as:
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 10 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
||Tuesday, Jul. 01, 2003 at 1:59 PM
||Wednesday, Jul. 02, 2003 at 7:25 AM
|To the conservative masquerading as a liberal
||Wednesday, Jul. 02, 2003 at 7:27 AM
|Too much Soy...
||Wednesday, Jul. 02, 2003 at 8:35 AM
||Wednesday, Jul. 02, 2003 at 8:40 AM
||Wednesday, Jul. 02, 2003 at 8:41 AM
||Thursday, Jul. 03, 2003 at 6:14 PM
||Friday, Jul. 04, 2003 at 7:03 AM
||Friday, Jul. 04, 2003 at 12:23 PM
||Friday, Jul. 04, 2003 at 3:14 PM
GUIDE TO REBEL CITY LOS ANGELES AVAILABLE
lausd whistle blower
Help KCET and UCLA identify 60s-70s Chicano images
UCLA Luskin: Casting Youth Justice in a Different Light
Change Links April 2018
Nuclear Shutdown News March 2018
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Join The Protest Rally in Glendale on April 10, 2018!
Spring 2018 National Immigrant Solidarity Network News Alert!
Anti-Eviction Mapping Project Shows Shocking Eviction Trends in L.A.
Steve Mnuchin video at UCLA released
Actress and Philanthropist Tanna Frederick Hosts Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Ups
After Being Told He's 'Full of Sh*t' at School Event, Mnuchin Demands UCLA Suppress Video
Resolution of the Rent Strike in Boyle Heights
What Big Brother Knows About You and What You Can Do About It
Step Up As LAPD Chief Charlie Beck Steps Down
Our House Grief Support Center Hosts 9th Annual Run For Hope, April 29
Don’t let this LA County Probation Department overhaul proposal sit on the shelf
Echo Park Residents Sue LA Over Controversial Development
Former Signal Hill police officer pleads guilty in road-rage incident in Irvine
Calif. Police Accused of 'Collusion' With Neo-Nazis After Release of Court Documents
Center for the Study of Political Graphics exhibit on Police Abuse posters
City Agrees to Settle Lawsuit Claiming Pasadena Police Officer Had His Sister Falsely Arre
Professor's Study Highlights Health Risks of Urban Oil Drilling
Claims paid involving Pasadena Police Department 2014 to present
Pasadenans - get your license plate reader records from police
LA Times Homicide Report
More Local News...
Shadowgun Legends Hack and Cheats
What does the Quran Say About Islamic Dress??
Biodiversité ou la nature privatisée
The Market is a Universal Totalitarian Religion
Book Available about Hispanics and US Civil War by National Park Service
The Shortwave Report 04/20/18 Listen Globally!
The Republican 'Prolife' Party Is the Party of War, Execution, and Bear Cub Murder
Paraphysique de la dictature étatique
Book Review: "The New Bonapartists"
The West Must Take the First Steps to Russia
Théorie générale de la révolution ou hommage à feu Mikhaïl Bakounine
The Shortwave Report 04/13/18 Listen Globally!
“Lost in a Dream” Singing Competition Winner to Be Chosen on April 15 for ,000 Prize!
The World Dependent on Central Banks
Ohio Governor Race: Dennis Kucinich & Richard Cordray Run Against Mike DeWine
March 2018 Honduras Coup Again Update
Apologie du zadisme insurrectionnel
ICE contract with license plate reader company
Black Portraiture(S) IV: The Color of Silence...Cuba No...Cambridge Yes
Prohibiting Micro-Second Betting on the Exchanges
Prosecutors treat Muslims harsher than non-Muslims for the same crimes
Amy Goodman interview on cell phone safety
Mesa, Arizona police officer kills unarmed white man
Israeli leaders should be prosecuted for war crimes
Paraphysique de l'autorité
More Breaking News...