The War on Human Rights Groups

by New Profile Saturday, May. 10, 2003 at 2:30 PM

This is the beginning of the War on Human Rights Groups, perpetuated by the IDF and aimed in particular at those who wish to help Palestinians in the Occupied Territories and Gaza.

The ISM and Raproachement offices in Beit Sahour were raided today. Three women were taken into custody. Two internationals were arrested, both apparently American (one is Flo, the communications coordinator). A Palestinian is being held for questioning. The 2:00 and 3:00 PM radio news reported that the internationals were illegally here, but the ISM office confutes that. In addition to the arrests, 5 computers and 3 lap tops were confiscated.

This is the beginning of the War on Human Rights Groups, perpetuated by the IDF and aimed in particular at those who wish to help Palestinians in the Occupied Territories and Gaza.

At present, legal aid is being sought to try to release the women and to recoup the computers. Action beyond that is also needed. If the attack on the ISM and the document below that foreigners will from now on be forced to sign are allowed to succeed, then all other international human rights and anti occupation groups will soon follow, and after them, also Israeli ones. Black days are ahead if we do not act fast.

Here is the sequence:

From: ISM Media Alerts ism-alert@palsolidarity.org>

Subject: [EMEM] New Israeli military declaration targets ISM -Singling out

ISRAELI MILITARY INTENSIFIES ASSAULT

ON INTERNATIONAL PEACE WORKERS

SINGLING OUT INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY MOVEMENT

As of Thursday, May 8, 2003, humanitarian organizations working within the Gaza Strip, Occupied Palestine began receiving a new declaration created by the Israeli military.

This document (included below) demands

signature of all international groups working within the Gaza Strip and any internationals attempting to enter the Gaza Strip. In addition to stipulations of not holding the Israeli Government responsible for the death of

internationals, the declaration specifically states that the individual signing can have no connection to the International Solidarity Movement(ISM).

The ISM, a Palestinian led non-violent group which attempts to provide protection to the Palestinian people and to enable them to non-violently resist the Israeli military occupation of Palestine, has recently come under attack from the Israeli Government and Army.

This attack, including the targeting of ISM volunteers that left one dead, one comatose and one severely injured, and now this new declaration, are all aimed at discrediting and inhibiting the peace work of the ISM.

Here is a copy of the declaration:

COPY OF DECLARATION:

Israeli Defense Forces

Form to be filled out and submitted to IDF authorities prior to entry to the Gaza Strip

First name Family name

Nationality

Passport number

Home address

Address in Gaza

Purpose of visit in detail

Duration of visit

Organization arranging visit

Conditions of Entry into the Gaza Strip

Foreign nationals entering the Gaza Strip, please note that the IDF is committed to ensuring the safety of civilians not engaged in hostilities. However, in the current circumstances, the IDF cannot guarantee the personal safety of foreign nationals visiting the area.

Although the IDF cannot accept responsibility for death, njury or damage/loss of property incurred as a result of military activity, foreign nationals visiting the area are subject to the following conditions whose purpose is to minimize the risks involved:

1. The Military Installation Area along the border with Egypt is IDF administered territory and is strictly out of bounds to foreign nationals. Please note that this area has been the site of intense hostilities and is extremely

dangerous.

2. Interference or obstruction of Israeli security personnel in the performance of their duties is a criminal offence.

3. The areas adjacent to the Perimeter Fence,

Israeli Settlements, Lateral Roads serving Israeli civilians and IDF positions are Closed Military Zones and are strictly out of bounds to all persons.

4. Foreign nationals are strongly advised to stay well clear of military activity.

Declaration

I declare that the details provided above are true and correct and that I have read the above conditions and agree to abide by the fully. I am aware that my failure to do so may lead to my arrest and/ or expulsion from the Gaza Strip and/or from the territory of the State of

Israel. I am aware of the risks involved and accept that the Government of the State of Israel and its organs cannot be held responsible for death, injury and/or damage/loss of property which may be incurred as a result of military activity. I also undertake not to disrupt IDF operations in any way and declare that I have no

association with the organization known as ISM

(International Solidarity Movement) nor any other

organization whose aim is to disrupt IDF operations.

Signed Date

============

Flo

ISM Media Coordinator

Beit Sahour, Occupied Palestine

ism-alert@palsolidarity.org

[ ism-alert AT palsolidarity.org ]

972 -2-277-4602

+972-67-361-708

+972-67-862-439

New Profile – Movement for the Civil-ization of Israeli Society

POB 48005, Tel-Aviv 61480, Israel

E-mail: mailto:newprofile@speedy.co.il

Voice box: ++972-(0)3-516-01-19

Website: http://www.newprofile.org/

Original: The War on Human Rights Groups