Update - Pomona RNs demand Union recognition

by L. Vallee Monday, Feb. 10, 2003 at 2:32 PM

Update: Last September the nursing staff at Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center held a union election and won by 120 votes! Management filed frivolous election objections....

Update - Pomona RNs ...
esize-dennis_gimenez_dhs_orig.jpg, image/jpeg, 326x490

Update: Last September the nursing staff at Pomona Valley Hospital Medical
Center held a union election and won by 120 votes! Management filed
frivolous election objections with the NLRB and has yet to certify the
nurses’ win. The nurses are fighting back!

On September 18-19, 2002, the RN’s at Pomona Valley Hospital Medical
Center
(PVHMC) held a union election to gain a voice in decisions affecting
patient
care, and they won by an overwhelming margin -- 120 votes. Since then,
management has filed frivolous objections with the NLRB in order to delay
bargaining with the nurses and discourage the other Hospital bargaining
units from organizing. Five objections filed by management were dismissed at the local level, and later appealed to Washington D.C. The NLRB is hearing two of the objections in February. The nurses believe that the unfounded allegations are management’s last chance to deny their victory.

They are asking the PVHMC Board and CEO to abide by the results of the
nurses’ lawfully-won NLRB union election and begin bargaining in good
faith for a fair contract.
PVHMC executives, in conjunction with union-busting consultants, have also been waging an expensive anti-union campaign against Hospital employees. Dennis Gimenez, an R.N. and outspoken member of the Union Organizing Committee who achieved national prominence last Fall after testifying about unsafe hospital staff levels, was fired last December as part of PVHMC’s anti-union campaign. Health Care Workers at the Hospital want management to stop wasting hundreds of thousands of precious health care dollars on anti-union campaigns and respect other hospital employees’ right to vote in a union election, free from interference and intimidation. All of the Health Care Workers at the Hospital as well as doctors, patients, educators, students, religious and political community members from PVHMC’s service coverage area are joining with the nurses to demand that management drop their objections to the RN election, stop wasting patient care money on anti-union campaigning, and to work cooperatively with doctors to best
serve the community. Hospital workers collected over 1,500 signatures from the hospital and community on an open letter to the PVHMC CEO and Board of Directors to be published as a full page ad in the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin on Sunday, February 9th. Hospital workers are currently organizing a “Rally at Pomona Valley,” an informational picket that will take place outside the Hospital in Pomona on Wednesday, February 12th to draw attention to the situation at PVHMC.
To find out how you can help support the RNs at PVHMC who voted
overwhelmingly to join SEIU Local 121RN, phone 909-629-4445.
THE “SEIU’S” ENERGY AS DEMONSTRATED BY THIS LIST SERVE SNAPSHOT.--- IMC
see below