To Michael: An apology of sorts

by S. Boyle Saturday, Jan. 18, 2003 at 8:48 PM
sboyle2003@yahoo.com

Correcting a mistated fact from a previous article.

I wanted to publicly apologize for an incorrect statement that I first made in a private email but then later published in "The other side of the "What Really Happens" story" (http://dc.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=45827&group=webcast).

"...What I did suggest is that Michael Rivero's posting of the militia's newsletters and his willingness to answer questions about them indicates on his part a sympathy for the movement and some, if not all, of its objectives. This idea is further reinforced by messages Michael Rivero posted on the Usenet many years ago advocating the purchase of T-shirts from the Arizona militia to provide the group financial support..."

As Michael was quick to point out that law enforcement officials, not the militia, sold the T-shirts. This is his actual message:

From: Michael Rivero (rivero@netcom.com)

Subject: Kingman Arizona Charity T-shirts REVISED ZIP CODE

Newsgroups: misc.activism.militia

Date: 1995/06/14

POSTED AS A PUBLIC SERVICE

Following in the wake of the FBI's "visit" to Kingman, Arizona, the local Sherrif's department put together a T-shirt designed by one of their staff with the words," I survived the FBI invasion of Kingman, Arizona, April 1995".

Demand for the shirts has risen to the point where the sale of them has been moved from the poor, overstressed Tanya at the Sherrif's office directly to Sportsman's Enterprises.

The shirts are .00 plus .00 for shipping and handling. Out of that, .00 per shirt is forwararded to the fund for the families hurt by the Oklahoma bombing.

The shirts are in white and ash grey in adult sizes small through triple extra large (I suppose to fit over those bullet proof vests).

To order your own personal memento of this historic trashing of civil liberties, send .00 money order to

OK Assistance Fund FBI T-shirt

2525 Pasadena Street

Kingman Arizona 86401

Specify size and color and your return address. Anyone interested in quantities should direct the inquiry to Steve Wilson at the above address.

Michael F. Rivero - rivero@netcom.com - 16 years in the business

Award Winning Digital Effects for TV & Feature Films - 818-763-2800

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Michael+Rivero%22+militia&start=600&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=803096298%2413734%40mail.starpath.com&rnum=602&filter=0

I relied on my memory instead of double-checking the facts and for that I am truly sorry. I believe my confusion resulted from erroneously combining this information with another message wherein he mentions the Arizona Patriot Militia and purchasing a T-shirt in the same sentence: