******* PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS & LISTS***
"In all wars the object is to protect or to seize money, property and power, and there will always be wars so long as Capital rules and oppresses people."
- Ernst Friedrich, War Against War (1924)
POWER - People Opposing War, Empires & Rulers
"The Many Faces of War, An Anarchist Perspective on War"
WHEN: Friday Oct. 25 - Sunday Oct. 27
WHERE: Arts in Action
LOCATION: 4th floor of 1919 7th Street, Los Angeles CA
Volunteers are needed, please contact us if you are able to help out!!
"Freedom is what we make of it. If we stand against repression, authority and illegitimate structures, we are expanding the domain of freedom and that's what freedom will be. That's what we create; there is nothing to define in words."
-- Noam Chomsky
A three day event organized as a direct response to educate and empower people to make informed decisions about the many different war's being waged all over the world. Totally FREE of charge. This conference is an anarchist perspective on the different aspects and types of war, and how it affects us ordinary people in our daily lives. It will focus on growing political repression due to war, racism, immigration, patriotism, and also to promote community organizing, direct action/civil disobedience, and anarchist practices. As Anarchists we do not accept and refuse to obey the racist war's the US military has waged or is currently waging on people all over the world. This is a conference in which we are able to come together and speak to one another on what ordinary people can do to promote an anti-war and anti-authoritarian political movement within our own communities. We want a better world, one without hierarchy, imperialists, or empires. We want a new world, and we are hoping that through education and action we are able to achieve that common goal that binds us all together.
CONFIRMED WORKSHOPS INCLUDE
*Most workshops will be translated into Spanish*
- ROTC/JROTC Recruitment - Mike Novick/ARA
- Colonialism & Racism - Mike Novick/ARA
- Aspects of Environmental destruction due to war -
- Immigrants Know Your Rights - Los Jovenes
- U.S Foreign Policy - Frank Dorrel
- War and its effect on Unions - Jim Smith, LA Labor
- Tribal History of War - Ben Axiom
- US Military Intervention in South America - Don
- War and it's effect on Indigenous people of the
Americas - Alianza Indigena
- Iranian Women’s Movement Against War - Chantel,
From Iranian Women’s Liberation Party & POWER
- The fight for Palestine - Tamara & Garrick from
- Afghanistan One Year Later - Afghan Women’s
- School of the Americas - Blase Bonpane, Office of the
- Zapatistas - Comite Zapatista De Los Angeles
- Globalization & War - POWER
- Post 9/11 effects on immigrants Rights - Hasan Hasan
- Anarchist History & War - Panel including Chris
Crass, Ericka, Matt Heart, Sam
- Actions against war & Imperialism - Alisa POWER
- Political Prisinors/Prisinors of War - ABCF LA
- Self Defense
- Direct Action/Civil Disobedience
- Challenging White Supremacy - Kerry Levenberg, Amie
Fishman and Chris Crass
- Indian & Pakistan Conflict - Liberation Alliance
- Women’s perspective on War - POWER
- Campus Anti-War organizing - Afghan Students Union
- Iraqi Sanctions - Voices in the Wilderness & Nuclear
Age Peace Foundation
- Plan Puebla Panama - Comite Zapatista De Los Angeles
- Border Issues
If you would like to be involved in this conference,
Help give a workshop/suggest a workshop, or help out
In any way please feel free to get in touch with us.
Volunteers are still needed.
If you are in need of housing, please email Socalpower@wearepower.org or
Also if you are interested in tabling, or selling items
(Vendors) at the conference, please email or call us
SCHEDULE FOR CONFERENCE
FRIDAY OCT 25 7:00 - Midnight - Opening Party, Hip Hop, Rap, along w/ Spoken Word
SATURDAY OCT 26:
7:00-Midnight Rave/Dance Party w/ DJ, Benefit Show
SUNDAY OCT 27
2:00-7:00 Movie showing and outdoor activity at MacArthur Park, children’s events, street theater, Jazz music
8:00-Midnight Women’s Bands and eclectic music
"...Ironically, perhaps, the best organized dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."
--Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)