In the early winter of 2001, the Phoenix Anarchist Coalition began discussions centered around the creation of a southwest anarchist network. Some visiting anarchists from New Mexico heard our ideas and decided they would like to host a South West Anarchist Gathering (SWAG). More discussions regarding such a network took place at the Bay Area Anarchist Bookfair (BAAB) and, of course, at the SWAG in New Mexico. On the last day of the SWAG, anarchists from New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado began planning for the next discussion at the Transform Columbus Day events in Denver. The group also decided to follow this up with the actual formation of the network at another southwest anarchist conference/gathering in Phoenix, AZ in the spring of 2003.
This is an attempt to get some response from southwest anarchists regarding their opinions and thoughts on a southwest anarchist conference. We would appreciate responses from both individuals or collectives – if you are a collective, please indicate approximately how many people are involved. Please reply by Sept. 23, 2002 to be included in this decision.
1. Several proposed dates are being tossed around. We chose them with the BAAB and other events in mind, but there are always events coming up at some time or another. Also, the summer is very hot in Phoenix, so (less desert acclimated) people may want to keep that in mind. Please mark off your top choices, from 1 (the best choice) to 4 (the worst) and “X” dates that you wouldn’t or couldn’t attend. The proposed dates are:
Feb 28, March 1, 2
April 11, 12, 13
April 18, 19, 20
May 1, 2, 3, 4
2. What southwest issues, prominent or neglected, would you like to see addressed?
3. What kind of workshops and events would you like to see?
4. What southwest anarchists would you like to see speak?
5. Are you more interested in seeing something that includes an action, or something that is more focused on dialogue and the creation of a network?
6. Would you appreciate more or less socializing time?
7. What types of workshops or events could you contribute?
8. Would you seriously consider attending an event like this? If a collective, how many of you would be seriously interested in attending?
9. Do you have any other southwest anarchist contacts that you would like us to contact or include?
10. Anything else you want to add?
Thanks – please send replies to PAC@phoenixanarchist.org
The Phoenix Anarchist Coalition P.O. Box 3315 Tempe, AZ 85280