- js reader version
- view hidden posts
- tags and related articles
Friday, May. 03, 2002 at 6:05 PM
FUCK POLICE BRUTALITY!!!
Violations of Civil and Human Rights Abuses
Protest & Vigil Against Placentia Police Dempartment
Protest & Vigil: 5pm
Press Conf: 5:30pm
City Council meeting: 7:00 PM
Tuesday May 7
Olga Vega - 714 996-1481
Roger Nicanor - 714 557-2944
OC Revolutionary Collective - 714-303-0004
Placentia Police Dept. (corner of Chapman & Kramer)
Take the 5 to the 57 North
Exit Chapman and go EAST
The police station is on the left hand side on the corner of CHAPMAN and Kramer
"At times when we are under the hands of higher authority - as residents and citizens our rights can be diminished at any given moment"
DEMANDS FROM PLACENTIA RESIDENT TO THE PLACENTIA POLICE DEPARTMENT
1) Make public all statistics and numbers of complaints that are filed against Placentia PD on a regular basis
2) Russle Rice who is chief of police needs to immediately meet with residents and victims of police abuse to discuss police harrasment, brutality, misconduct, and abuse
3) Allow for a civilian police commission to be placed over the Placentia PD to be able to operate as a review board
4) Investigate ALL police misconduct reports and complaints that are filed against the Placentia PD
5) Stop the racial profiling, brutality, harassment, and targeting of South Placentia residents. Police abuse and misconduct targets South Placentia over North Placentia (South Placentia is a predominantly people of color/working class community)
"I have no idea why they are targeting us, I have no idea why I can't walk down the street, or my 10 year old brother can't go outside without having the police ask him what gang he belongs to"
"Even the children are scared of these racist cops, even they know that something is wrong in Placentia, because all they have to is wake up in the morning and look around and they can see what is happening in all over their neighborhoods"
Olga Vega, a 45 year old Placentia Resident, will give testimony as she has witnessed the police brutality in her community for many years and now she speaks for those whom are unable.
Roger Nicanor, a 19 year old Santa Ana Resident, will give testimony in his recent incident with the PPD at a private gathering in Placentia which led to a police raid and arrest of many young men and women whose civil rights were violated.
Mishy Rodriguez, a 22 year old College Student from Placentia has repeatedly seen both young and old people in her community being pulled over and even as recently as 5 weeks ago has seen the beating of a young women in her neighborhood of South Placentia. She is sick of this happening, and believes that residents need to come together to only educate themselves but actually start empowering one another and themselves. "There is no reason why we should be ashamed or scared like this"
Others will speak upon how Immigrant and Indigenous Women do not feel safe in their communities in Orange County due to the INS' involvement with
the Anaheim Police Dept.
THIS EVENT IS A PEACEFUL POLICE BRUTALITY PROTEST, ONE ORGANIZED NOT BY ANY ORGANIZATION BUT ACTUALLY PUT ON BY THE COMMUNITY ITSELF FOR THE COMMUNITY. WE ASK THAT PEOPLE RESPECT THIS, AND KEEP THIS A PEACEFUL EVENT. THERE WILL BE CHILDREN AND MANY FAMILIES PRESENT, SO PLEASE KEEP THE DRAMA AND ANY PERSONAL IDEOLOGY AND WAYS OF BRINGING FORTH ACTION OUT OF THIS EVENT. THIS
IS A PEACEFUL EVENT TO BRING TOGETHER THE ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY AGAINST POLICE ABUSE.
Report this post as: