Brazilian cartoonist Latuff refutes allegations of anti-semitism in his cartoons

by Latuff Thursday, Nov. 22, 2001 at 11:07 AM
latuff@uninet.com.br

Indymedia Switzerland sent to me and to Frente Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional (FZLN) a message titled "caricatura antisemita de latuff" ( anti-semitic caricature by latuff ), with reference to two of my cartoons published on IMC Switzerland web site: "Coming Soon" and "The American Talk Show". I make public their message, as well as my reply.

Original message from IndyMedia Switzerland (in Spanish):

----- Original Message -----

To: ; ; ;

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 6:57 AM

Subject: caricatura antisemita de latuff

> estimad@s latuff, fzln-webmaster, fzln,

> en indymedia suiza y indymedia austria fue publicado una caricatura de

latuff:

> --> http://austria.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=4543

> --> http://ch.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=5843

> entre la gente que visita estos dos sitios se desveluna discusiòn acerca

> de esta caricatura. hay muchas personas que critican que esta caricatura

es

> antisemita o por lo menos reproduce unas esquemas antisemitas. por ser

> exacto: la caricatura parte de una ideologìa que induce el dominio del

> mundo de parte de personas de la fe judaica. este pensamiento tiene una

raìz

> fascista y nosotr@s no podemos explicarnos como una tal caricatura parece

> en el sitio del fzln, que nosotr@s consideramos parte de un movimiento de

> liberaciòn y de lucha contra el racismo.

> de latuff no conocemos màs que las caricaturas que ha publicado y nos

parece

> que tambien tu eres una persona que conoces la realidad que crea el

racismo

> diario. entonces porquè una tal caricatura?

> les pedimos de exponernos las razones por esta publicaciòn y de tomar una

> posiciòn acerca de este asunto.

> saludos solidarios

> indymedia suiza

> http://switzerland.indymedia.org

Reply from Latuff:

Dear sirs from Indymedia Switzerland,

Thank you very much for your message and interest.

First of all, it's important to emphasise that I am not a member of FZLN and

not allowed to speak for them.

I am a supporter of FZLN and EZLN since 1997, producing copyright-free

cartoons and photomontages to promote struggle of native people of Chiapas.

The reason why I always post URL of FZLN web site in my messages on IMC

pages is to promote Zapatismo among readers. Since I know, the artworks

shown on FZLN web site are Zapatista related images from "Zapatista Art

Gallery" and Brazilian police brutality related images from "A Policia

Mata!".

URLs mentioned by you refer to "Coming Soon" and "The American Talk Show"

cartoons, both related to Hollywood biased movies. Hollywood cinema has

served to the U.S. foreign policy many times, and now again. George W. Bush

has claimed for patriotic movies, a support to his "War against Terrorism".

It's a fact that many Hollywood producers are Jews and it's a fact too the

mostly of U.S. movies are strongly biased with reference to Latins,

Orientals and Arabs.

Just have a look, for example, in a recent U.S. movie, "Traffic", broaching

drug business in Mexico and United States. Mexican scenario is

yellow-coloured to instil sensation of a sweltering hot weather. Mexican

characters are sweaty, violent and corrupt. However, a smooth blue filter is

applied to U.S. scenarions, suggeting a fresh weather, with skycrapers and

well fited people.

Let´s check another example of biased movies from well-known Jewish cinema

producers, Menahem Golan and Yoran Globus. In their "Delta Force", German

actress Hanna Schygulla plays an air hostess in a hijacked plane. She´s

forced by sweaty beared Arab terrorists to list Jewish passengers. She

refuses to do it, saying more or less this: "I can't do that. Can't you see

I am a German? The Jews, the Holocaust, the six millions...". The Arab

character replies: "Six millions? It should be much more!".

In "Missing in Action" series, where Chuck Norris plays a U.S. veteran who

and cruel psychos, what justify killing of many by Norris.

Same propaganda can be seen in "Rambo" series. Special attention to the last

one, where "Mujahideens" from Afganisthan are glorified in this Reagan-era

film. I could do mention of many other movies like these, where different

races than U.S. caucasians are shown in a derogatory way.

I am talking about cinema used as political propaganda of United States

system. Obviously, there are decent directors as Spíke Lee and Woody Allen.

By the way, the few criticism to Jewish system I have seen in U.S. movies

is presented by Woody Allen on movies as "Deconstructing Harry". Average of

Hollywood films are biased with Black People, Latins, Orientals, Arabs and

so, but never with Jews. Main goal of my two cartoons is to discuss such

premise. I don't want ANY KIND of biased movies. The world DON'T NEED ANY

KIND of biased movies.

Unfortunately, any criticism to anything related to Jews is seen as

anti-semitism. We can criticize Japanese for massacres in Korea and China,

Indonesians for mass killings in East Timor, Serbians for their crimes in

Bosnia and Kosovo, but NEVER Israel for gross human rights violations

against Palestinians. It's OK to depict Milosevic, Pinochet, Suharto or the

Roman Catholic Church as criminals (as I did in my former "Trial by Cartoon"

web site), but if I make a cartoon of Barak or Sharon, Jews will remind me

of Nazi-era cartoons and call me anti-semitic. It's always the same

argument. Holocaust seems to be a kind of safe shelter for those Jews

interested in resume a controverse. Anti-semitism is the only way-out for

them.

But I don't care. If they want to see me as a racist, no problem. Go ahead.

I prefer to follow my conscience.

BEFORE to send a message to me and FZLN with such offensive and insulting

topic as "caricatura antisemita de latuff", you in IndyMedia should to

search on Internet for my social related artworks on behalf of Kurds, Iraqi,

Burmese, Tibetans, Palestinians, Mexicans and etc; for ban of land mines;

police brutality and censorship; AIDS prevention; war and globalization;

state sponsored terrorism.

If my art is not suitable or welcomed in IndyMedia Switzerland, please,

inform, and I will no longer to post more images and opinion, but I will NOT

to prevent myself to criticize human rights violations, don't matter if

commited by Jews, Muslims, Christians or whatever.

That's it!

Best regards,

Latuff

Latuff - Image Maker

Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

http://fzln.org.mx/latuff/introd.htm

Original: Brazilian cartoonist Latuff refutes allegations of anti-semitism in his cartoons