Action: Mayor Hahn: fulfill campaign pledge for Bus Riders

by BRU Friday, Jun. 22, 2001 at 6:37 PM

Subject: Bus Riders' Union Urgent Action: Make Phone Call to New Mayor Hahn to FulfillCampaign Promise to BRU

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:15:19 -0700

From: Strategy Center laborctr@igc.org>

Subject: BRU Urgent Action: Make Phone Call to New Mayor

Hahn to

FulfillCampaign Promise to BRU

Ask Mayor Elect Jim Hahn to fulfill his promise for 350

buses and to drop MTA's appeal!

818-705-6337

Using the speaking points below, call Mayor Elect Jim

Hahn's office TODAY! In the next week, we are reminding

Jim Hahn of his campaign promise to buy 350 buses and to

drop MTA's appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court and asking

him to meet with the BRU in the next week to work on

plans to meet that promise. The current MTA board has been

openly defiant of the Consent Decree, asking the court to

terminate it completely-now, more than ever, we need a

breakthrough to shift the direction of the MTA board.

Help generate pressure in the next week to get Jim Hahn

moving on his campaign promise and to push him to introduce

a motion for the buses by the July or August MTA Board

meeting.

Talking points for calls & letters to Mayor Elect Jim

Hahn:

· Introduce yourself.

· Congratulations on your victory; thank you for

promising to buy the 350 buses, to drop the appeal to the 9th

Circuit, and to appoint a bus rider to the MTA board.

· I'm calling to find out what your plan is to get the

MTA board to vote to buy the 350 buses and to drop the

appeal of the Consent Decree.

· Have you met with the leaders from the BRU since the

election to work on this plan? If not, I urge you to set

up a meeting with Eric Mann and Barbara Lott-Holland of

the BRU within a week.

· I assume that your pledge to appoint a bus rider to

the MTA board means you will appoint a member of the Bus

Riders Union in order to have someone most committed to

the needs of transit dependent bus riders in LA county on

the board.

Email us laborctr@igc.org or call us at 213-387-2800 to

tell us that you called Jim Hahn.

Mayor Elect James Hahn:

18553 Ventura Blvd.

Tarzana, CA 91356-4101

818-705-6337 phone

818-705-6338 fax

email: info@JimHahn.org

Original: Action: Mayor Hahn: fulfill campaign pledge for Bus Riders