Green Candidate For Upcoming Congressional Race

by Green Party Saturday, Feb. 10, 2001 at 7:18 AM
cottry@worldnet.att.net (310) 837-6684

Congressman Julian Dixon Dies-Green Party Activist Donna Warren announces she is running for the 32 Congressional District Seat! Go Donna!!!

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:09:08 -0800

From: Mike Feinstein mfeinstein@feinstein.org>

To: post-grns-cal-forum@greens.org

Subject: Green Congressional candidate in Los Angeles

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:01:47 -0800

From: "DONNA JO WARREN" cottry@worldnet.att.net>

For Immediate Release Contact: Jack Michon (310) 837-6684

January 29, 2001

GREEN ACTIVIST DONNA WARREN BRINGS OUTSPOKEN AGENDA TO DIXON CONGRESSIONAL RACE

Green Party activist Donna Warren has joined the race for the 32nd Congressional District. As the only candidate in this race from outside the Democratic Party, Warren's bid throws a new spin on the race for this seat, formerly held by the late Julian Dixon.

"The 32nd Congressional District has often taken the lead in challenging the status quo and generating new approaches to social issues," says Warren. "I am running for this seat to bring our community's determination to achieve social justice and environmental sustainability into the national agenda."

Warren's high-profile activism in South Central has landed her on the page of the European press, on the airwaves of CNN, and in local media. An auditor for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority of Los Angeles, her political activism has increased since the 1997 death of her son, a casualty of the drug wars.

Warren's platform for this election reflects the issues she has effectively battled for a decade. She calls for an end to this country's "failed Drug War and its cynical prosecution of poor communities of color to build the prison industrial complex," which she terms an extension of slavery. "Our government's horrendous negligence in providing health care for the poor, the elderly, and the working class is a scandal that is tearing this nation apart," Warren continues. "I've fought to reform these social inequities as a private citizen and will continue to fight them as an elected official."

Ms. Warren calls for job programs, training and placement for communities, including addicts and families. She calls for sustainable development and a living wage for all workers. She specifically calls for a repeal of the Taft-Hartley Act, which has crippled labor union bargaining power for many years.

She strongly believes in campaign finance reform. "Americans believe in justice, equity, and humanity," she says. "The major parties take their marching orders from the financiers and corporate chieftains who fill their campaign coffers. We must restore the people's faith and voice in government."

Warren worked as an auditor for the United States Department of Defense before taking her current position with the MTA. A lifelong advocate of civil rights and feminist causes, she has become increasingly active in South Central policy issues over the past decade. Ms. Warren's community involvement includes the Crack the CIA Coalition, Families to Amend California's Three Strikes, the Geronimo Pratt Defense Committee, and the South Central Green Party. She holds a B.S. degree in Business Administration from California State University at Los Angeles, is a Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM) and serves as president of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Association of Government Accountants (AGA).

"Finally, we have a person who believes in what we believe," says campaign spokesperson Jack Michon. "Don't be fooled by the Democrats in the race. Every one of them has sold us out at one time or another because each one depends on the "good old boys club". Donna is a fresh, invigorating solution to the problems that continue to challenge the 32nd District. Her campaign is definitely one to watch."

Original: Green Candidate For Upcoming Congressional Race