Florida Recount Update Links & Messages-- From Red Rock Eater News Service

by Phil Agre Sunday, Nov. 12, 2000 at 4:46 PM

Three messages about the Florida recount. First from is someone who says his mom was a Palm Beach County precinct clerk, second is from Michael Moore about the elderly Jewish voters in Palm Beach County upset at having accidentily voted for Pat Buchanan, third is a provisional analysis of the patterns in the Florida vote recount. Also more links.

Florida Recount Update -- From Red Rock Eater News Service Florida Recount Update Links & Messages-- From Red Rock Eater News Service

Presented By Phil Agre

[I've enclosed three messages about the Florida recount. Although I am obviously comfortable enough about them to send them out, I am not totally comfortable about any of them.

The first is by a guy who says his mom was precinct clerk for Palm Beach County. I have not authenticated this message; I am going on my sense that it's for real.

The second is a letter by Michael Moore about the elderly Jewish voters in Palm Beach County who are upset at having voted for Pat Buchanan by accident. It's good as a reminder of why elderly Jewish voters would be upset by such a thing, but it's excessive in forcing too much of a comparison between our current election problems and the much deeper problems in Germany that understandably made them so sensitive. On the other hand, it's much worse to hear the vicious name-calling and ridicule that the loathsome pundits have been heaping on these people.

The third message is a provisional analysis of the patterns in the Florida vote recount. The analysis was prepared in good faith and is accurate as far as I can see, but I wish that we had more information to go on, for example about the voting methods used in every one of the counties and especially the ones with the strangest numbers.

Here is another batch of URL's relating to the election controversy:

On Election Night, Democrats Called Florida Voters About Problem
      http://www.herald.com/content/archive/news/elect2000/decision/068797.htm

Palm Beach Ballot Discard Rate Considered on High Side
      http://www.herald.com/content/archive/news/yahoo/digdocs/058333.htm

Choosing A President: Assessing Online Election Coverage
      http://www.poynter.org/election2000/index.htm

Was Nixon Robbed?
      http://slate.msn.com/HistoryLesson/00-10-16/HistoryLesson.asp

Doubting Florida Voting Data
      http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=486

Volusia Officials Find Three Suspect Bags of Ballots
      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/daily/detail/0,1136,36000000000125072,00.html

It's a Myth That Nixon Acquiesced in 1960
      http://www.latimes.com/news/comment/20001110/t000107675.html

Those Florida Ballots Were Clearly Illegal
      http://www.latimes.com/news/comment/20001110/t000107677.html

Election Workers' Nightmare
      http://www.latimes.com/print/asection/20001110/t000107857.html

Bay Buchanan Sees Something Peculiar in Palm Beach Voting

Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections
      http://www.pbcelections.org/

Authentic 1994 Republic of South Africa Ballots
      http://www.littleafrica.com/ballots/

Republican Spin: Go Home, Al
      http://www.perpetualelection.com/article.pl?sid=00/11/10/2128226

A Fateful Step Toward Court
      http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/10/opinion/10FRI1.html

Why 19,120 People Voted Twice
      http://slate.msn.com/code/BallotBox/BallotBox.asp?Show=11/9/2000&idMessage=6462

With Recount, Having Some Fun
      http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52267-2000Nov9.html

I am quite burned out with the effort of covering this story, but like an awful lot of Americans (hundreds of whom have written to me) I am finding it hard to focus on anything else. I am actually getting some work done amidst the flood of e-mail, but I have started delegating my job here as much as possible, for example asking people to do research or keep track of Web sites. If the controversy spreads to Oregon, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Iowa, and heaven knows where else, then we are going to need a new approach. A lot of people are following the story in fine detail, and it would be great if we could produce a daily scan of the Web sites for all of the relevant local newspapers. But even if people out there are poking at the newspapers and sending me relevant URL's individually, I don't have hours in the day to filter them all. I've had fantasies of putting out a call for volunteers to form work groups -- it certainly seems like there's enough energy out there -- but even organizing that sounds like too much work right now. We'll just have to see what happens next.]

This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE). You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use the "redirect" option. For information about RRE, including instructions for (un)subscribing, see http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html